Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good....
Quote | Reply
Just wasn't the same for you younger folks...

Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but I'll be dead then and it'll be your problem to clean up. BTW - we don't all look like those two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

^^^ what he said
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect many of these memes are meant to be in jest. Yet, they represent a view that strikes me as accurate. And I'm a boomer.
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
I suspect many of these memes are meant to be in jest. Yet, they represent a view that strikes me as accurate. And I'm a boomer.

This!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Support feminism and multiculturalism to the point where your sons can’t find wives?

WTF?
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slink wrote:
Support feminism and multiculturalism to the point where your sons can’t find wives?

WTF?

LOL. yeah.where did that come from. Basically any boy who can breath, talk to a girl and not be a shitbag can find one.
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the bit about 'your race going extinct' tried to sneak under the radar there too...

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

This!

x3 (except I'm not a boomer). You guys have heard my rants. My parents are the stereotypical boomers.
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
xtremrun wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

This!

x3 (except I'm not a boomer). You guys have heard my rants. My parents are the stereotypical boomers.

x4 with a twist as a boomer. Our parents, the Greatest Generation is the answer to why we had it so good. They were born out the Industrial Revolution and were made strong adapting to and changing the post Industrial Revolution world. They saw the end of imperialism, the end of major wars and the potential of future nuclear war. They saw the birth of communism and the end of colonialism. We boomers reaped benefits of their leadership and their growth of the industrial world to give birth to the current game changing era of the Technology Revolution. The boomer generation is kin to the Baron's generation of the late 19th century. As we retire now to our estates and pass the baton, albeit reluctantly, to the next Greatest Generation, will you youngsters be equal to the task?

Maybe some inspirational memes of the Greatest Generation are in order to compliment those disparaging the boomers?
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I interpreted it more like a racist suggestion that multiculturalism has reduced the number of white women for your son...
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

The reason why boomers had it so good was strictly a function of population dynamics and technology of the time. The population graph looked like a triangle and not a box with younger people at the bottom. Drop out of high school? No problem, just go get a high paying unionized job with a pension in the auto sector and be set for life as long as you could handle thirty years on the assembly line. Back then an auto plant would hire about 3000 people. Today maybe 300 since its all automated now. If I remember right, university tuition was about $800. a year, albeit the student wage was about $1.75/hr but still much better ratio than kids have today. No generation had it better and I doubt if any other will, at least not in the near future.
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like your post but am a tad confused regarding your "Industrial Revolution" aspect. According to my knowledge of history - the Industrial Revolution was from about 1760 to about 1820-40... ? Not being a smart ass - just trying to understand your point. Tks

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in the USA and Canada, the average wage:cost of living ratio peaked in 1969. been getting worse since.

again, don't get me started on the damned boomers.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

The reason why boomers had it so good was strictly a function of population dynamics and technology of the time. The population graph looked like a triangle and not a box with younger people at the bottom. Drop out of high school? No problem, just go get a high paying unionized job with a pension in the auto sector and be set for life as long as you could handle thirty years on the assembly line. Back then an auto plant would hire about 3000 people. Today maybe 300 since its all automated now. If I remember right, university tuition was about $800. a year, albeit the student wage was about $1.75/hr but still much better ratio than kids have today. No generation had it better and I doubt if any other will, at least not in the near future.

You've nailed it...it was pure math (the triangle), Demographics always tell your future. Its a force that must be dealt with.
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
I like your post but am a tad confused regarding your "Industrial Revolution" aspect. According to my knowledge of history - the Industrial Revolution was from about 1760 to about 1820-40... ? Not being a smart ass - just trying to understand your point. Tks

I was going with the discovery and extraction of oil- the invention of the internal combustion engine as a compliment to the steam engine and the mass production of the car and truck- the production and distribution of electricity-the massive augmentation of steel production with blast furnaces and the subsequent invention of new machines to mass manufacture most anything imaginable as the sea change of the 1870-1914. The "second" industrial revolution may be more accurate a description.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Add in that when the greatest were having boomers, and the silent were growing up, we and others bombed the shit out of all the other industrialized countries.
If you were English or French and wanted good stuff, you bought from American companies which still had their old factories and could build planes and cars and ships.

During the depression, Ford employed 103,000 people in the River Rouge plant alone. Today, it makes 1200 F-150s a day with just 7000 employees (about 400k/yr). In 32, they made about 300,000 Model Bs in the same plant.
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
stereotypical boomers.

Can you list these stereotypes so I can see where I fall?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
slink wrote:

WTF?

LOL. yeah.where did that come from. Basically any boy who can breath, talk to a girl and not be a shitbag can find one.

They can't talk to a girl because all they can do is text. But if a girl texts back, there is hope :-)
Quote Reply
Re: The real reasons why baby boomers had it so good.... [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
knewbike wrote:
slink wrote:

WTF?

They can't talk to a girl because all they can do is text. But if a girl texts back, there is hope :-)[/quote]

Yet more proof it was great to be born a boomer. All we had was the telephone.
Quote Reply

Prev Next