Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kitchener ON running routes
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Kitchener, Ontario next week for work. I'll be staying at The Walper. I don't know the area at all. Any advice for 14-18km running routes that are safe to run between 5-7am? Any terrain is fine. I'm not a worried runner but I try to avoid the blatantly unsafe areas or at least stay alert while I'm in them. I just have no idea what Kitchener is like so I need a bit of advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Kitchener ON running routes [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll be safe anywhere - very small-town feel to the tri cities. The Walper is downtown, which is all fully lit with good sidewalks, though a big chunk of King Street in Waterloo just closed today for a long-term (4 month) streetscaping project. Victoria Park is beautiful, and the Iron Horse Trail is great if you want quiet, mostly paved pathway and don't mind some road crossings. You're also not too far from the Dom Cardillo Memorial Trail, which will take you through some hills at the south end and parkland further north.

The Walter Bean Grand River Trail is a sprawling mass along the river in various states of repair due to the freeze, thaw, snow and swollen river levels lately. Depending on the day you might find immaculate crushed gravel surfaces, or a foot of flowing water on the trail.

The Laurel Creek Trail is very nice - mostly paved through town, and leads to a lovely conservation area.

The Hydrocut Trails are amazing for trail running, Bechtel Park has a trail if you want to run XC style, and there are trails through RIM Park (with which I'm not very familiar - keep meaning to run up there).

Should be plenty to keep you busy!

Quote | Reply
Thanks - this is really helpful. I was looking at the riverside trails on Google maps but will check if there's been heavy rain first, and probably switch to the Laurel Trail!

Is King Street still good to drive? I'm part of a group that will be driving extensively to the universities for meetings and the routes I've got take us on King Street. I should look for alternate routes if driving to the universities?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The closure is apparently between Bridgeport and Elgin, so if your route goes through there (uptown Waterloo) then you'll definitely need to go 'round a different way: https://uptownwaterloobia.com/construction/

Quote | Reply
+1 on Laurel Creek.

I would steer clear of the hydro cut trail this time of year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, if your meetings are at the Waterloo universities, why are you staying in downtown Kitchener? Plenty of better options with closer access to good running routes in Waterloo.
Quote Reply
Re: Kitchener ON running routes [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn’t my choice so I’m not sure why Kitchener was picked. The most senior person on the delegation chose it, and that’s not me nor is it the advice I gave. A lot of the hotels in Waterloo were full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with everything so far.

I've been living and running here for a dozen years, and there's no part of Kitchener I wouldn't run through at 5-7am. There are a few ugly sections, but they're ugly/safe.

The Iron Horse and Spur Line trails can be stitched together to make a nice loop, though on their own they're shorter than what you're looking for. You could add a loop around the ring road at UW, or follow random paths through Waterloo and Victoria parks (neither is huge, so you're going to get lost).

The hydrocut is very sketchy this time of year. If it's wet, then you'll be doing some damage to the trails, and if it's dry then the MTB riders are swarming, because spring.

I'm not sure what kind of pace you're hoping to keep for the run but if it's in the 5:30 min/km range I'd be happy to meet up and join you. PM if interested.

Cheers!
Simon

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: Kitchener ON running routes [Munq E. Wrench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, but you are WAAAYYYY faster than me! And it will be my first outdoor run of the year (I'm in Yellowknife) so I'm not sure what my legs are going to think of pavement after five months of treadmill running.

If you see a woman with a white cap plodding along on Laurel Trail at some early hour (I think I'll take the trail up to UW to do some recon on the campus before our meetings there) wave and I'll wave back.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
Quote Reply