Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia
Quote | Reply
I may be moving to Russia and while I know traffic is horrendous there, there must be somewhere to train SBR.

I'd like to find suburban country roads to ride on or even paved park paths, apparently there are some for bikes especially in the suburbs.

I'd also love to find some simple MTB trails to get in some of those workouts and get the HR up.

I know there are lots of pools so no issues there, but is there somewhere to do OWS in the summer?

Running should be easily completed in one of the many many parks.

I'd rather not do nothing but trainer time there.

thanks for any and all help.

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you going to live? Moscow? I am Russian and I have a bunch of russian friends who do triathlons (ironmans) there. Most of them live in Moscow. There is a very nice velodrome, and a lot of pools and parks. Do you speak Russian?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia [Katia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Katia wrote:
Where are you going to live? Moscow? I am Russian and I have a bunch of russian friends who do triathlons (ironmans) there. Most of them live in Moscow. There is a very nice velodrome, and a lot of pools and parks. Do you speak Russian?

Привет Катюша. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kostya, did you ever hear about spam and how people hate it?
Last edited by: Katia: Jan 23, 14 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be living in Moscow, not speaking Russian yet but will be. I won't be there for another year or so.

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Katia,

I will be traveling often to Moscow in the coming months. I am training for a 1/2 IronMan and would like to continue training while I am there. I should be around this area: ulitsa Gasheka

Do you know if there is any cycle studio with CompuTrainer, KickR or something similar (worst case a spinning place) and a public swimming pool close by?

Usually I will be traveling for 2 weeks each time, meaning I will be there during the weekend, any training suggestions?

Thanks,

Andres
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia [duartebotero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Andres,

I've scoured the map shortly. I think the best way to swim it's Olympic swimming-pool. There are two great 50-meter pools (6km and 20 mins by car from the Gasheka str, or 15 mins by metro + walking). There is the sport school's pool as well, it's closer than Olympic but has only 3 lines (25 m).

What should you learn about visiting pools in Russia that you have to have a kind of medical sertificate. Ask your Russian colleagues about this.

As for cycle studio you can try World Class (Bolshaya Gruzinskaya 69) or ProTrener (Blagoveshensky pereulok 1b). The both are close to Gasheka str.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia [Galka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Galka,
Thank you for the advise. I checked World Class Gym and really like it, it even has a 25mts pool that works fine. A little expensive but what can you do.
Hoping that spring will let me go outside and have some nice runs. Was looking at the Garmin heat map, but couldn't get to many places near by. The Moscow river is close by, hopefully there is a way to run near it.

Thanks again

Andres
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia [duartebotero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before your run or ride, just yell really loud "Death to Russia". You should be able to lay down a pretty good pace for a few miles. Doesn't work here in America. "Death To America"....Do I still get my Big Mac? Yes. Okay.

Quote | Reply
slow triathlete, did you finally move to Moscow? Did you find a place to train? I just wanted to mention that there are some interesting places - both inside the city and suburban - where people train on bikes. First of all, it's Krylatskoe Olympic velodrom and Olympic road race course which is next to it. The road race loop is 13,6km long but most of the people prefer to use so called small ring which is 4,2 km because the full course is often so-occupied by strollers, walkers etc and on top of that the big course has a more challenging uphills/downhills. The small ring has some climbs too, especially one steep uphill (12%, couple hundred meters long). Also pretty often people who don't want to train hard use roads in vicinity (Krylatskaya street, Zhivopisnyi bridge etc) for easy recovery rides.

In the city you can ride you bike also inside Park Pobedy although it's better to do it early in the morning since the park is usually packed with strollers etc. The same applies to VDNKH park and Gorky Park - there are some bike paths (the one in Gorky Park along Moscow River embankments - (Vorobyovskaya - Andreevskaya - Pushkinskaya - Krymskaya embankments) is especially nicea) but it can be packed as well. You can use the less populated parts of these embankments (Vorobyovskaya and Andreevskaya) and then go up to Kosygina street in order to make a loop.

Outside of the city you can train at Klenovo which is the place of almost a weekly road race and hosts couple of triathlons. Also there is Odintsovo rollerskiing course where some bikers do their rides. Another popular place for bike training is Bunchikha.

Actually the triathlon is booming now in Moscow and in Russia - there are competitions almost every weekend and hundreds and even thousands of competitors. So you can easily find training places, training buddies, competitions etc when you will arrive to Moscow
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia [kamehameha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like it has been a couple of years since this thread was updated. I was wondering if any locals (or expats that have visited recently) could comment on the current triathlon scene, as well as training locations. I have heard that things have been changing rapidly in Moscow, so I am guessing the triathlon scene has, too. I will be moving there for work and am trying to understand my options. Are the comments above still relevant or has it completely changed? I'll probably live somewhere between Sokol and the center.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia [TriPhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriPhys wrote:
It looks like it has been a couple of years since this thread was updated. I was wondering if any locals (or expats that have visited recently) could comment on the current triathlon scene, as well as training locations. I have heard that things have been changing rapidly in Moscow, so I am guessing the triathlon scene has, too. I will be moving there for work and am trying to understand my options. Are the comments above still relevant or has it completely changed? I'll probably live somewhere between Sokol and the center.

Thanks!

I live in Moscow, and can provide a bit of feedback. When I first arrived here in almost nine years ago, the triathlon scene was just standing up. My impression (possibly mistaken, I defer to better-informed views, particularly from locals) is that sports used to be largely elite-driven. Basically, you were either world class, identified at an early age and sent to a sports academy or you stayed home and cheered for the world-beaters.

Today, mass participation endurance events are big deal. I used to run in the morning and people spilling out of nightclubs would point and laugh. This happens to me in a lot of places, if we are going to be honest. But I never saw anyone else out there exercising and the first running event I went to was a free Nike 5k race in fall 2010 that was one step up from a riot-people just didn't know what to expect.

Now there are bricks and mortar running shops, tons of running clubs, ParkRuns all over the place, cross country races, ultras, and triathlons. The biggest triathlon club is Trilife, they are a very friendly bunch: https://www.trilife.ru/ (Google Translate can render their site pretty well.)

Riding has improved a lot with bikeshare culture arriving (along with craft brewing and hipster beards), the best spot likely remains Krylatskoye, where the 1980 Olympic road race was held-lots of hills to climb!

Strava's global heatmap shows where everyone is running and riding in Moscow, which should give you a good sense of the best locations:
https://www.strava.com/heatmap#11.00/37.61909/55.73002/hot/all

There is no m-dot branded event here just yet, but I have no doubt the population could easily support one. There are events in the Nordics and Baltics if you are brand-loyal, and there is an Iron Star series that has a 140.6 distance race in Sochi, if you like palm trees and mountain views.

Essentially, my only complaint about Russian triathlon specifically and Russian endurance events in general is that there are too many really fast people who can swim, bike, and run circles around me here, but this happens to me in a lot of places, if we are going to continue being honest.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the info! It does look like there are some options and I should consider bringing the rest of my gear along.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia [TriPhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You bet! I just sent you a PM with contact details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I will be traveling to Moscow the week of Oct 13-21. I know the weather outside may not be terribly good for outdoor events, but could you recommend some pools or other activities I can possibly do? We will be staying in strogino.

thank you...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon training in Moscow, Russia [hogstuff3721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hogstuff3721 wrote:
My wife and I will be traveling to Moscow the week of Oct 13-21. I know the weather outside may not be terribly good for outdoor events, but could you recommend some pools or other activities I can possibly do? We will be staying in strogino.

thank you...

I just checked three running event calendars (Running Community, Grom.Club, and Russia Running), and there do not seem to be any running races happening while you are here (there's a cool trail race on the 27th not far from Strogino, just unlucky timing). Same result when checking on the Trilife.ru competition calendar. So, you are likely looking at training only while you are here. The weather should be a little on the cold side, which means the bike share bikes will likely be packed up, unfortunately.

By that time of year it's likely going to be too cold to cycle outdoors much (30-50 F/0-10 C) anyway, but there should not be any snow. Near Strogino there is decent greenspace along the river, an all-season track in the area, and the 1980 Olympic cycling Krylatskoye just to the south has outdoor running/cycling paths and a velodrome. If you have a bike you can arrange an indoor session, or if you prefer to run indoors on the track bordering the cycling lanes, it's 300 rubles an hour, which is pretty cheap.

If you want to swim, there is a place very close to the Strogino metro, just east of the station:
http://stroginosport.ru/?page_id=297

You can swim there, single use tickets will be about ~300-~500 rubles.

Hope that helps, safe travels!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for all that information!
Quote Reply