Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gen 1 Trek SC Max Rim Width
Quote | Reply
Hi,
This has probably been discussed before but I have a 2013 Speed Concept 7.8. Does anyone know the max rim width that will work with this frame? Is a wheel that is 28mm wide at the brake track and 30mm wide at its widest too wide?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 1 Trek SC Max Rim Width [Bandade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't say for sure, but that's probably fine, so long as you shave down your rear brake pads. Don't know about tire clearance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Edit - the text disappeared from my first post)

I'm not sure on maximums, but on my 2012 7.8 I am running an Aerocoach 75 and disc and there is plenty of clearance (19.6/24.7 int/ext).

Be aware of the duotrap bulge on the chainstay if going with a disc rear.

As for tires my experience with the stock bontrager wheels was I could fit 23c (GP4000s2) front and rear, possibly 25c on rear but the tire rubbed the underside of the brake on the front if I went up to 25c.

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Last edited by: PrimalSteve: Apr 2, 19 1:34
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 1 Trek SC Max Rim Width [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was there enough clearance for the Disc? On my Aeox and Speed Concept 9 (Gen 1), in certain conditions - heat/sunlight is my best guess - the disc expanded just enough to make contact with the DuoTrap bulge. I had a mechanic take a dremel to it and now there's plenty of clearance but... that's not exactly the orthodox way.

FWIW, on my SC 9-series, the biggest limiter is the front brake which, on a 7-series, is not an issue.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its too wide. My training partner is on a 2014 7.8. Max rim width he was able to ride was 27.5 and a 25mm GP4000 which measured right about there as well.
Quote Reply