Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pool faster in one direction than the other?
Quote | Reply
I did a bunch of 25's today, which I don't do very often, and almost every time I was faster by about one second going from the deep end to the shallow end of the 25 yd pool I swim in. I'm not a gifted swimmer by any means, but virtually every time leaving from the shallow end would net a time in the low 19:xx range and leaving from the deep end was in low 18:xx range. These were with a pretty quick 3-4 sec rest at around 90% effort. Any reason this would happen??

I think this was the first time I've swum 25's since I started wearing a watch to keep track of pool intervals - I'm assuming there was this discrepancy in the past, but I didn't notice it by just glancing up at the pace clock.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a pretty significant current where I swim (Tosa WAC in Milwaukee). The current runs counterclockwise around the whole pool, so the outside lanes have a stronger current than the interior ones. In the outside lanes it can be 1-2 seconds different between the two directions. I'm guessing that it just has to do with the way that the jets are oriented coming out of the filter pumps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I did a bunch of 25's today, which I don't do very often, and almost every time I was faster by about one second going from the deep end to the shallow end of the 25 yd pool I swim in. I'm not a gifted swimmer by any means, but virtually every time leaving from the shallow end would net a time in the low 19:xx range and leaving from the deep end was in low 18:xx range. These were with a pretty quick 3-4 sec rest at around 90% effort. Any reason this would happen??

I think this was the first time I've swum 25's since I started wearing a watch to keep track of pool intervals - I'm assuming there was this discrepancy in the past, but I didn't notice it by just glancing up at the pace clock.

is this an outdoor pool?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jets

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my home pool that happens in lane 2 in the shallow end. There’s a wicked current that slows you down coming into the wall, it’s very noticeable if you are sprinting against someone in lane 3 (no current)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't it obvious? If the pool runs north/south, one direction you're swimming uphill and the other way downhill. Or if its east/west, one way you're swimming with the Earth's rotation, and the other way against it...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's an outdoor long course pool near me that is faster in one direction in the middle lanes by about 4 seconds and the opposite in the outer lanes.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
Isn't it obvious? If the pool runs north/south, one direction you're swimming uphill and the other way downhill. Or if its east/west, one way you're swimming with the Earth's rotation, and the other way against it...

Where was the moon ? It's pulling you.
/Pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is it an outdoor swimming pool? if yes, wind also plays in this game

is there a significant depth difference between both sides? if yes, normally you will swim slower when finishing at deeper side, why? you swim faster in shallow swimming pools the floor of the swimming pool also plays in your speed, so.. it is like swimming uphill versus downhill, or better said run in two differents tracks both of them uphills, the first with a increasing gradient from easy to difficult, versus a decreasing gradient from difficult to easy. (*)

(*) and in this case also psychological aspects play because the postive feedback of swimming faster and faster, help you to swim even faster. A negative feedback make the opposite, you will note that you are moving less and less water because the deep and you will swim even slower.

In a short pool this is not a big issue, but in 50m pools you can see even more. And if there is a jump platform in the pool... so extra depth... you will realise the most.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have felt that same thing in that pool. It always seems faster heading back to the shallow end. However, now that I'm swimming with the Masters group there, I haven't really had the time to sense that as I'm usually just trying to hang on to the group. Have you joined in on Wednesday or Saturday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

Could you unconsciously be pushing off harder from the deep end, since you are not standing?

edited to add:
Turbulence must be variable in pools, but I can certainly see that jets aimed a certain way or in one lane or another, can make a difference. This is N=1 and you now must repeat the experiment in a different lane.
Last edited by: dtoce: Apr 2, 19 4:31
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I remember there were faster lanes in the pool at the Rio Olympics.

A person got a medal in the 50 free that wasn't expected to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many pools draw half the circulation water from the gutter system The other half via the bottom drains. A current exists. It is this principle that allows the floor cleaning systems to work in residential pools. At the college pool I swim in there is a solid 1" time difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me all the time when I swim down hill
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fina has maintained the jets were turned off durring the sessions, but I am skeptical. However there was a wold championship a few years back where the results were undisputable. I tried googling it but kept coming up with billiard results...
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This covers what you're looking for:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.631e396e0dfc

Happened at 2013 worlds and 2016 Olympics.

edit - tried to attache the image but it was too big:
https://img.washingtonpost.com/...chart.png&w=1484

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: Apr 2, 19 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shallow end is 3’ and the deep end is 10’ - finishing in the deeper end was consistently slower. I guess you wouldn’t really notice this discrepancy unless doing 25’s or if you look at data after a swim and break it down by 25’s.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That picture is definitive proof that ONE LAP IS ONE POOL LENGTH!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right. And although no current should be "acceptable" for a world-level swim meet, it's especially unacceptable why you're swimming a 50 as there is no chance for it to supposedly "even out" over the course of the race. I've been to short course pools with circular currents and your lane 1 and lane 8 splits per length can vary wildly. If you count strokes, you could be 1-2 spl difference per 25 depending on your direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
In my home pool that happens in lane 2 in the shallow end. There’s a wicked current that slows you down coming into the wall, it’s very noticeable if you are sprinting against someone in lane 3 (no current)

This must be centennial....I hate that lane!
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [Birch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birch wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

This must be centennial....I hate that lane!

Yup. Centennial. Currents and waves.

In a weird way, I love that pool because it makes every other pool seem faster.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe bring a level next time to make sure one end of the pool isn't higher than the other.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I miss my old outdoor SCM pool in Portland. It only maxed out at 5.5 feet deep with concrete walls, no gutter, and old school lane lines. It did a great job prepping you for open water.

My current YMCA has two lanes (2 and 5) that are dirt slow compared to the other 4. Probably 2 seconds/100. It was crazy to see the difference between there and swimming even in the warm-up lanes at Harvard a few weekends back.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you know it's faster? Some pools I swim in have a clock at either end. I wonder sometimes if they aren't out of sync by a second or two. Are you using one clock or is it by watch?
Quote Reply
Re: Pool faster in one direction than the other? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Warbird wrote:

Where was the moon ? It's pulling you.
/Pink

Glad you guys cleared that up. I figured the pool was just a bit shorter in one direction.
Quote Reply

Prev Next