Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Biden: A touchy person is a bad person
Quote | Reply
I'm not a touchy, huggy person. But my wife kind of is. Over the years, that's moved me to open my mind about my more tactile brothers and sisters. I've come to realize that trying to categorize every touchy/huggy person as somehow bad or inappropriate is ultimately a hateful act.

Instead of building tolerance and advancing diversity we're letting victorian style prudes set our social interaction criteria. It's disgusting that every single act of touching or hugging now needs to get this extreme analysis by people with social learning disabilities to see if they're all OK with it. Screw all these judgemental f***s that just live to judge and hate.

End of rant.
Quote Reply
Re: Biden: A touchy person is a bad person [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody ever hang around Latinos or Spaniards or countries that do the hug and kiss for acquaintances?

God forbid, ban those whole countries and cultures!

Man, some of the stuff has gone too far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm totally fine with Biden. I don't think he meant anything sexual by it. But it IS creepy and he needs to stop doing it. Over the years we've known a couple of "creepy" friends who would try to kiss my wife on the lips when they'd greet her. She hated it and I thought it was totally inappropriate. She found ways around it and I never made an issue of it. One of the guys once grabbed my water bottle and took a drink while he had some chew in his lip. I'd was like "uh, yeah, you can keep it now." These are "boundary" issues mainly (although with my two creepy "friends" I wouldn't put it past either of them to have been doing it to see if they'd get a reaction that implied more was on the table.) Oh, and one of these guys did sit ups in the morning in his tighty whiteys in the living room of a house we were all renting once on a ski trip for all to see. That was definitely too much. No more trips with him! And, no, I don't consider myself a prude whatsoever.

So, now that Joe "really " knows he's made some people feel uncomfortable the least he can do is stop the neck rubs, hair smelling (really?), and kisses on the back of the head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to try to defend every instance in the creepy Joe Biden milieu. But there have been a lot of assumptions made off of a picture or a short clip. And not all of those are as they appear.

For instance this picture has been used a lot: https://www.msn.com/...r-BBVtdon?li=BBnb7Kz

“I told them I felt awful that after he had generously taken time out of his day to swear in an old friend, his attempt to support me had become a joke and even more — supposed proof positive that he didn’t understand how to respect women,” Stephanie Carter wrote. “I thought it would all blow over if I didn’t dignify it with a response. But clearly that was wishful thinking.”

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Setting aside whether the timing of Lucy Flores' accusations against Biden is politically motivated, and assuming the way she described the incident is true (I assume you've read what she wrote or heard her give a full account of it in an interview), do you see nothing inappropriate in Biden's actions (keeping in mind, they had no prior friendship or acquaintance with each other, and he is the vice president - a position of power in her field).
Quote Reply
Re: Biden: A touchy person is a bad person [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I'm not going to try to defend every instance in the creepy Joe Biden milieu. But there have been a lot of assumptions made off of a picture or a short clip. And not all of those are as they appear.

For instance this picture has been used a lot: https://www.msn.com/...r-BBVtdon?li=BBnb7Kz

“I told them I felt awful that after he had generously taken time out of his day to swear in an old friend, his attempt to support me had become a joke and even more — supposed proof positive that he didn’t understand how to respect women,” Stephanie Carter wrote. “I thought it would all blow over if I didn’t dignify it with a response. But clearly that was wishful thinking.”

A key difference here is that she was "an old friend." Flores had no prior relationship with Biden. So I could give him a pass in this instance, but I find it hard to believe he was unaware that what he did to Flores was inappropriate.
Quote Reply
Re: Biden: A touchy person is a bad person [Matthew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm totally fine with Biden. But it IS creepy and he needs to stop doing it.

I don't want to be insulting here. I'm just trying to broaden our horizons. What if that creepy feeling you get is, in the end, just your own problem?
Quote Reply
Re: Biden: A touchy person is a bad person [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Setting aside whether the timing of Lucy Flores' accusations against Biden is politically motivated, and assuming the way she described the incident is true (I assume you've read what she wrote or heard her give a full account of it in an interview), do you see nothing inappropriate in Biden's actions (keeping in mind, they had no prior friendship or acquaintance with each other, and he is the vice president - a position of power in her field).

I'm not a student of Joe Biden's social interactions, no. I'm not planning on becoming one either. That's what happens when these things are non-issues to a person. I don't get overly worked up about the power difference thing either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

I'm not a student of Joe Biden's social interactions, no. I'm not planning on becoming one either. That's what happens when these things are non-issues to a person. I don't get overly worked up about the power difference thing either.

You're proving your ignorance rather rapidly and convincingly.

First, you should understand the difference between what happens at work or at a work-related event, versus in a social setting. In the latter you're free to be a dick and can be quite the dick without breaking the law. However, in a work setting or event your freedom to be a dick is more limited (sorry). And it's not about what your intent is. It's about how the recipient of your behavior feels. If they feel it's inappropriate, then it's inappropriate.

You should do some research before posting on a topic you appear to know little about.
Quote Reply
Re: Biden: A touchy person is a bad person [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:

That must be it - an April fools joke. He got me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, surprise, surprise! Nearly all the individuals "defending" the conduct (like the male in this case) are males and the lone voice of opposition is a female. I bet if you were in the category of individuals being groped on a regular basis, you would see it a bit differently ...

I had an interesting and eye-opening conversation with my daughter (31) and my daughter-in-law (28) a couple weeks ago during which they recounted how frequently men - many they barely know or do not even know at all - think it is ok to touch them.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
SH wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

First, you should understand the difference between what happens at work or at a work-related event, versus in a social setting. In the latter you're free to be a dick and can be quite the dick without breaking the law. However, in a work setting or event your freedom to be a dick is more limited (sorry). And it's not about what your intent is. It's about how the recipient of your behavior feels. If they feel it's inappropriate, then it's inappropriate.

You should do some research before posting on a topic you appear to know little about.

I'm not ignorant. I'm just not in agreement with you. I understand the environment we've created. That's not the same as saying that I agree with it.

Frankly, that makes you the ignorant one. You should stick to what you know, and comment on that instead of your guesses about what I know.
Last edited by: SH: Apr 1, 19 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: Biden: A touchy person is a bad person [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Well, surprise, surprise! Nearly all the individuals "defending" the conduct (like the male in this case) are males and the lone voice of opposition is a female. I bet if you were in the category of individuals being groped on a regular basis, you would see it a bit differently ...

I had an interesting and eye-opening conversation with my daughter (31) and my daughter-in-law (28) a couple weeks ago during which they recounted how frequently men - many they barely know or do not even know at all - think it is ok to touch them.

I have daughters too -- including one that doesn't like anyone to touch her. So, so much for that theory of yours.

I'm also not defending some 'men's only' definition of touching. Seems ironic to me that you'd resort to stereotyping my response instead of just giving standard arguments. From your logic -- I guess you have don't have family members that ever get stereotyped???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a super touchy-feely person.

That being said, I’ve never felt up the nipple of a prepubescent girl...

...like Biden has....

...on camera.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
JSA wrote:

I have daughters too -- including one that doesn't like anyone to touch her. So, so much for that theory of yours.

Unless you are not a guy, my theory is well in tact. Try again.

SH wrote:
I'm also not defending some 'men's only' definition of touching. Seems ironic to me that you'd resort to stereotyping my response instead of just giving standard arguments. From your logic -- I guess you have don't have family members that ever get stereotyped???

I am not "stereotyping your response." I am basing my reply on your actual words and your actual position. You need to look up the definition of stereotype.

This entire thread reminds me of some of the harassment cases I have handled for the past 20+ years. "I don't know why she got all upset, I was paying her a compliment when I said 'nice tits!'"

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

My wife (50) and daughter (24) agree with this assessment. I think Biden would be that creepy uncle most women and girls avoid. Having seen how he as acted, even through the media's lens, around women and girls over the years always gave me the feeling they were not comfortable.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
SH wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

I'm not ignorant. I'm just not in agreement with you. I understand the environment we've created. That's not the same as saying that I agree with it.

Frankly, that makes you the ignorant one. You should stick to what you know, and comment on that instead of your guesses about what I know.

Your opinion is not the law. You're apparently ignorant of the law. Feel free to hold onto your ignorant opinions though.

It's also odd to start a thread about Joe Biden, and then say you have no interest in learning what Joe Biden did to Flores. More lost credibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
j p o wrote:

A key difference here is that she was "an old friend." Flores had no prior relationship with Biden. So I could give him a pass in this instance, but I find it hard to believe he was unaware that what he did to Flores was inappropriate.

Another key difference is that I said, "I'm not going to try to defend every instance in the creepy Joe Biden milieu."

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Biden: A touchy person is a bad person [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why beat around the bush? The dude is a creep and maybe even a pedo.

There’s plenty of evidence out there.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Biden: A touchy person is a bad person [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

...like Biden has....

...on camera.

Meh. At my wedding, the mother of a close friend of my wife's bent over to give me a cheek kiss of congratulations. She was standing on some steps above me and had to bend over. There were people doing this, right and left, all around me, we were moving along, and it was dark. She was up next. Anyway...

I reached to grab her elbow to support her as she bent over and kissed me, and I caught nothing but bosom with the entire palm of my hand and my fingers. She startled. I froze. Then I just moved on to the next person rather than risk making a bigger scene with my apology.

Silly Venezuelans, they probably still don't recognize we can completely eliminate those terrible, terrible risks if we just prohibit (or are at least properly suspicious of) any contact among people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Your opinion is not the law. You're apparently ignorant of the law
Now you're just being a dick.
My opinions threaten you so much that you've got to make up stuff and insult me?
Why?

When do I do this to you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Are you assuming I'm female?

I work in a global company with over 100k employees. We have regular (every couple of years) sexual harassment training done by an outside law firm and yet there are still many incidents that take place that you wouldn't believe - well you probably would given your experience.

The training is actually done very effectively - over many hours in small groups where there is a lot of discussion around the topics. Not just sexual harassment, but other forms of inappropriate workplace behavior like bullying, discrimination against protected groups, retaliation etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and as a congressman, senator or VP i think he is sort of always at work. He's also in a position of power where quid pro quo issues could be brought up. I'm not a biden hater by any stretch, but it isn't that difficult to get through a work day without questionable physical contact. just don't do it.
Not always a bad person, but not good judgement or self control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Duffy wrote:

...like Biden has....

...on camera.

Meh. At my wedding, the mother of a close friend of my wife's bent over to give me a cheek kiss of congratulations. She was standing on some steps above me and had to bend over. There were people doing this, right and left, all around me, we were moving along, and it was dark. She was up next. Anyway...

I reached to grab her elbow to support her as she bent over and kissed me, and I caught nothing but bosom with the entire palm of my hand and my fingers. She startled. I froze. Then I just moved on to the next person rather than risk making a bigger scene with my apology.

Silly Venezuelans, they probably still don't recognize we can completely eliminate those terrible, terrible risks if we just prohibit (or are at least properly suspicious of) any contact among people.

Watch the video...

You don’t accidentally discover a nipple and then pinch it.

4:20...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next