Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A disappearing memory of my childhood, the whippoorwill (bird)
Quote | Reply
I haven't heard one of these things for years and years. I grew up about an hour south of Raleigh in a rural area.

All I could find was this: some speculations, but not much.....let's leave that there
https://thesouthern.com/...9a-001a4bcf887a.html

Is it an urban/rural thing as much? We live in town now, but live right off a nature/greenway area and have all manner of animals. Fox, pretty sure some coyote, birds, deer, opossum, raccoons, fireflies, etc.....

But, I haven't heard that whippoorwill call in a loooooong time. It's like a dying memory from dusk hours in my childhood.

Anyone else remember hearing these? Anyone still do? Where do you live?

Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: A disappearing memory of my childhood, the whippoorwill (bird) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My father-n-law raises them in northern Michigan but I've never had a conversation with him about why. I clearly remember them nightly growing up in eastern Michigan. As an adult now living in western Michigan I don't remember hearing them. Not sure if that's geographical or time related. It's possible I just don't notice it any more.
Quote Reply
Re: A disappearing memory of my childhood, the whippoorwill (bird) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My family and I live in a large city so we certainly don’t have them here but in the eastern and southeastern parts of Oklahoma where I do a lot of hunting and fishing they are prevalent. We love sitting and listening to them at night around the campfire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apex (the Peak of Good Living), between RT1 South and downtown.

While I don't hear them anymore around RDU, I hear them from time to time out around Jordan or Falls Lake. There is so much building going on around Wake, Durham, JoCo, Orange and Chatham, that impacts habitat.

As for fox and coyote, we are seeing more of these, especially along the Apex/Cary/Morrisville greenway system. I have to be on guard for them when I am out running or shooting real estate listings, because these can be vicious and rabbid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've traded in whipoorwills (which i still hear when I'm home in CT) for nightingales. Dead lovely but they like to sing in the wee hours.

I think the birdsongs you heard in childhood lodge very deep. Takes me right back to hear bluejays and robins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I haven't heard one of these things for years and years. I grew up about an hour south of Raleigh in a rural area.

All I could find was this: some speculations, but not much.....let's leave that there
https://thesouthern.com/...9a-001a4bcf887a.html

Is it an urban/rural thing as much? We live in town now, but live right off a nature/greenway area and have all manner of animals. Fox, pretty sure some coyote, birds, deer, opossum, raccoons, fireflies, etc.....

But, I haven't heard that whippoorwill call in a loooooong time. It's like a dying memory from dusk hours in my childhood.

Anyone else remember hearing these? Anyone still do? Where do you live?

Just curious.

I live in the mountains of South Carolina. We have a family of whippoorwills in the woods beside the house. They disappear every winter but in the spring and fall are always back. I love hearing them in the evening before going to sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember hearing some last year. I'm not sure if/how the hurricane may have affected their habitat. I love hearing them call at night.

I do have some purple martins at my martin houses for the first time in quite a few years. I took them down before the storm and then put them back up when they first showed up. I figured that most of the competing martin houses got damaged so mine would be used and apparently I was right.

I like listening to mockingbirds. Around my home, the mockingbirds will include the sounds of the purple martins in their repertoire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are abundant in the Pine Barrens of South Jersey.

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply