Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rotator cuff tendinitis / capsulitis
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you have heard of this kind of pain before.
What's weird is I was swimming well until 2 weeks ago ( 3 / week approx. 2000m/ session).
Maybe light pain after the last march workouts, where I had to do 10X 100 m with the first 25m all out.

I stopped swimmimg the last 2 weeks due to lack of available time.
Then it started. In 3-4 days, light pain becoming unbearable in the right shoulder.
I had to go to the clinic. Couldn't sleep. Pain feels like permanent toothache.
Heavy anti inflammatories and morphine couldn't chase the pain the first day. Still painful today afyter 3 days.
The doctor said I have a rotator cuff tendinitis. It can develop in capsulits if I don't move my shoulder quickly with physiotherapy.

So my question is: Is it possible to develop this kind of pain from swimming alone ?
I had a shoulder problem 2.5 years ago, but though it was long gone...
Man ! Tough to feel that useless against something ....

Louis :)
Last edited by: louisn: Mar 31, 19 18:43
Quote Reply
Re: Rotator cuff tendinitis / capsulitis [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
I'm sure you have heard of this kind of pain before.
What's weird is I was swimming well until 2 weeks ago ( 3 / week approx. 2000m/ session).
Maybe light pain after the last march workouts, where I had to do 10X 100 m with the first 25m all out.

I stopped swimmimg the last 2 weeks due to lack of available time.
Then it started. In 3-4 days, light pain becoming unbearable in the right shoulder.
I had to go to the clinic. Couldn't sleep. Pain feels like permanent toothache.
Heavy anti inflammatories and morphine couldn't chase the pain the first day. Still painful today afyter 3 days.
The doctor said I have a rotator cuff tendinitis. It can develop in capsulits if I don't move my shoulder quickly with physiotherapy.

So my question is: Is it possible to develop this kind of pain from swimming alone ?
I had a shoulder problem 2.5 years ago, but though it was long gone...
Man ! Tough to feel that useless against something ....

Louis :)

Very common injury. I had it in both shoulders. It just appeared one day after 20+ years of swimming. I read that 80% of junior swimmers reported shoulder problems in a 2017 study. It's most likely a technique issue and if that's the case, the problem won't go away. I had 3 cortisone injections in my shoulders which kept the pain at bay for 3 - 6 months, but as I hadn't addressed my technique issues, the problem reoccurred. Cortisone might not be a bad idea, as yours sounds very inflamed, but it's a short term/band aid solution. Although some people have had them and never experienced problems again. In the mean time if you still want to swim, just kick or swim with fins, fingers splayed etc
Quote Reply
Re: Rotator cuff tendinitis / capsulitis [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm out for a few weeks/months I think. My upper right arm can't move. I can't even reach the steering wheel.
I'm starting physiotherapy tomorrow. I'm thinking of getting cortisone injections, since last time I had this, I didn't get "peds help" and physio was a real pain, and I never reached full movement amplitude...

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Rotator cuff tendinitis / capsulitis [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
I'm out for a few weeks/months I think. My upper right arm can't move. I can't even reach the steering wheel.
I'm starting physiotherapy tomorrow. I'm thinking of getting cortisone injections, since last time I had this, I didn't get "peds help" and physio was a real pain, and I never reached full movement amplitude...

Louis :-)

Wow that sounds really bad. It's not RSI is it? Do you work with a computer and is your sore shoulder the one you use your mouse with?
Quote Reply
Re: Rotator cuff tendinitis / capsulitis [Gashman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Repetitive Strain Injury ?
No I don't think it's the case. Maybe I went too hard on the swimming, and on top an old injury that never really healed well.

I developed LEFT shoulder tendinitis some 20 years ago working as a Chef in a Hotel, for 70-80 hrs/week (I'm left handed).
I had my shoulder treated with cortisone injections.I still took a few months off the job. I wasn't into any sports at the time, just work/sleep/eat/repeat...
Now I'm a culinary arts teatcher, a little less stressful job/lifestyle. Hence having a little bit of free time, getting into sports,etc...

I'm getting an "X" ray tomorrow, and after that, depending on what they see, physio and maybe injections.
Man it's tough being unactive.The worst part is losing the natural endorphines... meeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh !!!.

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply