Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What Are You Running In? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I would revive this thread as race season nears. just got a digital scale to weigh all of my shoes and surprised and disappointed at how far off claimed weights are relative to actual weights. Here is my current mix

Nike
- Zoom Fly - these shoes are frigging pigs @ 9.4 oz in M10
- Zoom Streak 7 - had high expectation for these given lack of material but not that light
- Flyknit Racers - wish these worked with bungie laces, super light, super comfy. Sexy AF

Saucony
- Kinvara - several pairs in V9 and just got v10. The old standard. Love.
- Fastwitch 10 - debating on getting these, anyone have any experience with?

Sketcher
- Meb Razors - good up tempo trainer/track. Heavier than you think.
- Go Ride 5/6/7 - great trainer. A bit of a pig but still a good shoe. A heavier kinvara
- The previous lionel sanders shoe before razor 3. Cannot recall the name. A very good shoe, ran Kona in these last year over 4% and made the right choice. A new and improved version of the Lunar Racer. Anyone have any experience with Razor 3? Ugly AF but looks to be a very good shoe.

NB
- 1400 V3/4. A good shoe. Not great, but good. Heavy though, which is strange because there is nothing to it.
- 1500 hate this shoe. A complete pig. Not responsive at all. Has a weird motion control aspect to it. I am 15 sec slow per mile in this shoe. Absolutely hate it. Cannot believe that Kienle runs it.
- 5000 v2. These things are straight killer. Only wear them for mile races, but you could rock them in 5k or 10k. The feel like balet slippers but are incredibly well cushioned.

Asics
- DS trainer 22. Meh. they ruined a good shoe. There is a 24 out now that looks promising though. I remember when this was the bomb ass shoe and now I hate it.
- Hyperspeed 7. THE SHIT. 6.4oz in M10.5, you can wear in whatever distance you want. Have run several IMs in these. Sadly out of production for some time.
- Gel 451. Appeared to be a follow up to hyperspeed but BOA dial is silly and fit is weird. Sent back.

Can anyone help with Fastwitch question? These appear to be comp to hyperspeed but not sure. Love the kinvara and Saucony is legit IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have not tried the Saucony Fastwitch, but recently bought the Saucony Type A8 and love them

Saucony
- Kinvara 6: Loved so much I bought a few (sadly on the last pair)
- Kinvara 9: Love them, now my 70.3 racer
- Type A8: Love them, my all time favourite race shoe for Sprint and Oly tris

On
- CloudFlow: only good on clean pavement because they collect small stones in the tread (use them for lunchtime runs at work)

Inov8
- Road-X 233: Love this shoe, sadly discontinued (stocked up with a few when I heard, on my last pair)
- Road-X lite 155: Love these, save them for speed sessions or 5k, 10km road running races.
- Tri-Xtreme 225: Used them as my racer from Sprints to 70.3. I almost loved them
- Run Ultra 270: use them for my long trail runs. Great in bad weather, but never loved them
- Trailroc 245: Loved them but they only have low grip, no good on technical descents (about to be retired)
- TerraClaw 220: Similar to the Trailrocs, but with better grip (replacing the Trailrocs)

Newton
- Distance SIV: used them for Short Course tris. Liked them, but not as much as the original Distance S (about to be retired)
Last edited by: RobInOz: Mar 29, 19 23:00
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NB Zante

Would be my favourite run shoe ever were it not for the fact that half sizes go all the way up to 13, then stop. In this shoe I would be a 13.5. The 14 is a boat. Great cushioning. A half size smaller than the Vazee Pace in like for like year models.

NB Pace V3 (Discontinued)

I ran in a couple of generations of this shoe. It's my favourite all rounder ever. I am 180lbs and used them for everything from track work to marathons. My last pair had over 1,000kms on them and were used (by necessity) for a mix of trail and road. A great shoe and I have noi idea why NB ditched them for the ........

NB 890 V6

Billed as the replacement for the Vazee Pace but is actually a revived line, hence the V6. I called up New Balance and asked about the Pace to 890 change, asked about the last etc. They claimed the new 890 is built on the same last so the fit would exactly the same. It isn't.

The Pace was a better shoe all round. Better quality. Better built. Better fit (subjective). That last bit is the kicker. I don't have the luxury of trying shoes on and the Pace was one of the few that ever fit me really well. New Balance claim the 890 is the same fit but it's not, they are miles apart.

- The 890 is almost a full size larger.
- It has less feel
- The grip uses awful channel 'ribs' that are perfect for geologists as you'll have a bunch of stones to examine when you get home. It picks up stones 'all' the time and you end up with a tick, tick, tick as you run.

Having been such a massive fan of the Vazee Pace these are incredibly disappointing. Even the laces are shit.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4% FK for important races. Placebo or not, they are just fast for me.

ZF SP as a trainer for the 4s. (Can b found at Nike outlet for $60) I absolutely hated the reg ZF but these are closer to the 4s with a thin heel. Only issue with these, they are HOT. The plastic does not breathe. Going to do some surgery on an old pair

Kinvara have run in 6-10. 9s are my favorite by far. 10s are just off. Too harsh

Fastwitch/Type A the new ones have a tongue that’ just doesn’t work for me. It’s too thin to put on quickly without bunching. Love the rest. Previous versions were better.

Endorphin 2 if you can handle a racing flat. Had to size down (brand new 10.5 available if interested)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to struggle to move away from Altra now I have run in them for a while. Their toe box just works for me - and you can get a range of cushioning options. Since moving over no black toe nails, no pain on long runs and loss of speed.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony ISO ride (normal runs. not bad. not an amazing shoe)
NB 1080 (latest version) normal runs. comfortable. bit heavy. old faithful.
NB Fresh Foam Beacon. Normal runs (not bad. I've run up to 20 miles in them without issue)
Adidas Boston: Races up to half mary
Miles per week (35-50)

Not in love with any one shoe at the moment. (Note: running in zero drop shoes are a no go for me.)
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
This year I'm running almost exclusively in Mizuno.

Rider, Hitogami, Hayate. I've done one race in my Asics Hypertri's only cuz I don't have a sockless Mizuno shoe.

Revival...for the last two years I've raced in my Mizuno Hayate mainly cuz I was doing Xterra. My every-day shoe is still the Rider although last winter I moved back to the ladies model since the mens is too wide for my tastes.

This year I'm going back to the road and will be doing a couple long course races and about 6 sprints/olympic races

Will probably break out my Hyper-tri that I kept new-in-box from two years ago for those races and continue with the Rider for every day training.

I did purchase a pair of Wave Shadow's a few weeks ago since the Hitogami was discontinued. I haven't run in them enough to make an opinion.

As for the sizing question from a few years ago that I completely missed. I wear the same men's sized shoe in Mizuno that I wear in Asics and Saucony, men's 9, but in ladies shoes I wear a 10.5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike React Flyknit: seriously the best shoe I’ve ever run in. Light, lots of soft cushioning (I under pronate, so this is a must), decent drop, durable.

Previously I used the Freedom ISOs. Good shoe, but not as much cushion as I’d like and the full length outsole made it feel heavier than its 9.4oz. Also kind pricey.

I race in LunaRacer2s. Reasonably light for a racing flat and trainer-level cushion.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Nike React Flyknit: seriously the best shoe I’ve ever run in. Light, lots of soft cushioning (I under pronate, so this is a must), decent drop, durable.

Previously I used the Freedom ISOs. Good shoe, but not as much cushion as I’d like and the full length outsole made it feel heavier than its 9.4oz. Also kind pricey.

I race in LunaRacer2s. Reasonably light for a racing flat and trainer-level cushion.

I'm with you... the Epic React Flyknit is nothing short of amazing. Every time I run in a shoe that is not the Epic React, I wonder why my run feels so sluggish.

I have recommended them to about a half dozen people and everyone loves these shoes. They are magic.

It doesn't hurt that I can get the first edition (which is exactly the same as the second edition, just different colors) at Running Warehouse for $75.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for reacts. I’m mainly Saucony/Nike. Been moving more towards Nike over the last few years and the React is incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
Saucony
- Kinvara - several pairs in V9 and just got v10. The old standard. Love.
- Fastwitch 10 - debating on getting these, anyone have any experience with?

Can anyone help with Fastwitch question? These appear to be comp to hyperspeed but not sure. Love the kinvara and Saucony is legit IMO.

I'm like you, love Kinvaras and can go all day in them. For reference, loved the 4's and 8's, hated the 5's and 7's.

The Fastwitch is really light on the foot, but feels really hard and unresponsive to me. Whenever I have a choice, I always think of reasons to not go out in them. I tolerate them for 5k and 10k races but that's about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NB Beacon (in Wide) (2 sets of shoes because I like them so much)
Altra Escalante 1.0 (have a 1.5 but haven't rotated them in yet)
Altra Paradigm (heavy and umm slappy - don't love them. They need a rocker or something)
Altra one 2.5 for speed work
Just got a set of Altra Golden Spikes for 5K XC races and a 1500 master's track race I am thinking about but I am noting the last is narrower that most altra's so not sure. It is hard to find spikes that fit wide feet (old people problems).

Things I would like to have:
Nike 4% - I tried on the other model that has the similar flynit but for me it was way too narrow. Alas all my friends race in these cheaters shoes but I can't. Woe is me.
Need something maximal for go-long days but need it to come in wide. Thinking about trying a Bondi 6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The greater offset for racing has really piqued my interest...

Do you think I could experiment with a heel insert or does one need to do the full Monty and get a higher offset shoe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Balance 1500v4 for everything. I really like this shoe; REVLite is light and responsive, whereas Fresh Foam feels lumpy and dead.

(During the long Canadian winter, I use a mix of Salomon winterized trail shoes to run on snow and ice.)
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
My team has a sponsorship with Salming, so I thought I'd give them a shot. Having never heard of them, I found they are fairly new to the US, originally from Sweden. I was dealing with a bout of Morton's Neuroma, and thought a shoe switch would be a good 1st step. I also like lightweight shoes, and have not had good luck with really low drop, so went with the Enroute model. The various models are 4~6 drop, so reasonable, and very light. I love the construction, as the durability has been so much better than my Nikes or most brands. I've now got a large number of mostly trail miles on the original Enroute, and they show no signs of giving up yet. I have purchased another pair of the Enroute, the Distance model and the Race5. All have been fabulous, and I also like having a brand that is a bit out of the norm. Their philosophy on shoes is one that seems to work well for me.....

I love my Salmings. I use the new Miles Lite for most of my training runs (I'll occasionally use the older Miles for downhill intensive runs because they have a tad more cushioning). I race in the Speed 5. The Race5 didn't provide enough support for my 170 pound chassis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks Ghost for my every day trainer/beater. Heavy but cushy

Race day: Reebok Float Ride Run Fast. Light and zippy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newton Gravity 8 - long distance/marathon
Mizuno Wave Sonic - speed shoe - up to half marathon
Saucony Kinvara 9 - recovery and when I need more cushioning

I've run almost exclusively in Newtons since 2012, mostly the Motion series for training and Distance for racing. After an injury (running aggravated) I decided to try some other shoes, which is how I landed on the Mizuno Wave Sonic and Kinvara 9s.
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a Salming die hard... I am currently rotating a pair of EnRoute2s, Miles lite, Greyhounds, speed7 and a pair of race7s... I'm heavier than you are, and I am fine with racing anything up to 10km ish in my races (I have yet to run in the race 7s, but I raced plenty in my race5s and 6s the last couple of seasons). For half and longer, I would race in the Speeds... The new Greyhounds when you step in, give you a very hoka-esque feel, very soft and cushy, but when you run in them they respond like a lightweight trainer or race shoe... They are quickly becoming a favorite for mileage and recovery days... Speed7s for my speedwork though...
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also a fan of Salming but when I found out I could get a pair of Hoka Clifton 1s online, I jumped on it, and I just ordered another for my stock. I'll take the Salming over Clifton 2, 3, 4, or 5, but the Clifton 1 is da bomb!
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I hated my one Hoka experience (I forget the model name)... I never ran in the Cliftons, but the ones I had were both heavy AF and too cushy (I say too cushy, because I lost the ground feel, which I find is a key proprioceptive cue to running efficiently)... I gave my pair away after maybe 10 runs, because I was always going for a different shoe from my arsenal...
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
My team has a sponsorship with Salming, so I thought I'd give them a shot. Having never heard of them, I found they are fairly new to the US, originally from Sweden. I was dealing with a bout of Morton's Neuroma, and thought a shoe switch would be a good 1st step. I also like lightweight shoes, and have not had good luck with really low drop, so went with the Enroute model. The various models are 4~6 drop, so reasonable, and very light. I love the construction, as the durability has been so much better than my Nikes or most brands. I've now got a large number of mostly trail miles on the original Enroute, and they show no signs of giving up yet. I have purchased another pair of the Enroute, the Distance model and the Race5. All have been fabulous, and I also like having a brand that is a bit out of the norm. Their philosophy on shoes is one that seems to work well for me.....

I love my Salmings. I use the new Miles Lite for most of my training runs (I'll occasionally use the older Miles for downhill intensive runs because they have a tad more cushioning). I race in the Speed 5. The Race5 didn't provide enough support for my 170 pound chassis.

Obviously I'm a huge fan too. I'm waiting for the Greyhounds, but really have loved the EnRoute models. With your great reviews I think the Miles Lite will be coming my way soon along with the new Race model. I've done 1/2 IMs in the earlier Race and felt it was fine, but everyone's different. Thanks so much for your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clifton 1 is a very light shoe. I also have the Clayton 2 (even lighter). From my 20s through my 40s you would never have found me in these shoes for the very reason you mention - not enough feel for the road. But I'll be 62 this year and the last thing I need is to feel the road. I think Dan has talked before that super max shoes like the Hoka's is one of the reasons he can still run. Same here. After literally more than five decades of competitive running, I'm happy to still be out there, and I'll use whatever keeps me going. I'm not ready for the aquabike division yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
I'm a Salming die hard... I am currently rotating a pair of EnRoute2s, Miles lite, Greyhounds, speed7 and a pair of race7s... I'm heavier than you are, and I am fine with racing anything up to 10km ish in my races (I have yet to run in the race 7s, but I raced plenty in my race5s and 6s the last couple of seasons). For half and longer, I would race in the Speeds... The new Greyhounds when you step in, give you a very hoka-esque feel, very soft and cushy, but when you run in them they respond like a lightweight trainer or race shoe... They are quickly becoming a favorite for mileage and recovery days... Speed7s for my speedwork though...

I'm with you.....I LOVE the shoes I've tried from Salming. Luckily I can get a deal so the stable is expanding. As you've run in more than I have I appreciate your input. I do like the feeling of the road, which is contrary to Dan's feeling (I'm older than him!), but I attribute that to the fact I didn't run in college and do a lot of trail running. My legs feel better than ever and after scope jobs on each knee 18 years ago, all has been awesome (touch wood). When I see the research stating no more injuries in less "cushy" shoes I feel better about my choices. I've done 1/2 IMs in the race and it was fine, so I think I'm going with those and the new Miles Lite for my next choices. Currently have 3 Salming EnRoutes, Race, Distance, and Greyhounds on the way.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mainly train in Brooks Ghost 10s.

On the beach - usually Nike Flyknit Mariahs or Flyknit Racers

Track - Nike Flyknit Racers

I have the Vaporfly 4% Flyknits for FL 70.3 (Haines City) and 140.6 Boulder (June)

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
NB Zante

Would be my favourite run shoe ever were it not for the fact that half sizes go all the way up to 13, then stop. In this shoe I would be a 13.5. The 14 is a boat. Great cushioning. A half size smaller than the Vazee Pace in like for like year models.

NB Pace V3 (Discontinued)

I ran in a couple of generations of this shoe. It's my favourite all rounder ever. I am 180lbs and used them for everything from track work to marathons. My last pair had over 1,000kms on them and were used (by necessity) for a mix of trail and road. A great shoe and I have noi idea why NB ditched them for the ........

NB 890 V6

Billed as the replacement for the Vazee Pace but is actually a revived line, hence the V6. I called up New Balance and asked about the Pace to 890 change, asked about the last etc. They claimed the new 890 is built on the same last so the fit would exactly the same. It isn't.

The Pace was a better shoe all round. Better quality. Better built. Better fit (subjective). That last bit is the kicker. I don't have the luxury of trying shoes on and the Pace was one of the few that ever fit me really well. New Balance claim the 890 is the same fit but it's not, they are miles apart.

- The 890 is almost a full size larger.
- It has less feel
- The grip uses awful channel 'ribs' that are perfect for geologists as you'll have a bunch of stones to examine when you get home. It picks up stones 'all' the time and you end up with a tick, tick, tick as you run.

Having been such a massive fan of the Vazee Pace these are incredibly disappointing. Even the laces are shit.

Seeing a lot of love for New Balance. Magazine Reviews praise them a lot as well.

Whenever I have picked up a pair in the store, they feel very heavy (compared to Saucony Kinvara). So I've never bought a pair (of even tried them on)
Quote Reply

Prev Next