Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How well do you know Zwift [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
If you ride a fast road bike (Tron bike or Madone with disc wheel), it's almost exactly the same speed as riding a TT bike at around 260 watts. The draft slingshot you get when passing people on your road bike averages up your speed to be about the same as if you were on the TT bike anyway. I've tested it on the Volcano Flat loop about 20 times. That's for solo rides though, not in huge group rides.

I'll ride TT when I miss my TT bike, but road bike when I want to practice slingshoting past people like in a AG wave Ironman race.

Another secret - If you want to improve without thinking about it at all, push the trainer resistance realism setting over the tiniest bit possible every few rides. You may not even notice it, but it makes you work harder and you will get stronger to keep performing like you were before.

Also, your height setting affects your drag. I saw a video where they tested it for digital doping and it works.

Except, if you're on the Tron bike, your avatar won't sit up and let you 'see' you are in the draft. Another reason to use a Madone/lightweight wheel in a group ride, IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: How well do you know Zwift [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well yes I am aware of that. See initial post.

The second question was where to get an adapter for the new bike with disc brakes. Wahoo lists it as out of stock. I’m aware that the bike I ride and the one on Zwift do not have to match ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I'd be honored to be a ride leader for Slowtwitch rides. Where do I find out more how to get started?

email me. i'll slot you in. slowman @ the place you'd likely expect.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
bluto wrote:
Sticky draft simple example-
You are drafting behind another rider of the same weight, height, bike, etc. and he is putting out 4 w/kg on a flat road. You can be be sitting on his wheel at 3.7 or 3.2 w/kg. The stickiness prevents you from jumping out of the draft at 3.7 like you would in the real world (or you would run into the back of him). drafting in a big pack has a similar concept, but lots more variables. Efficient Zwift riders know how to surf the pack on minimum watts.

You can also see the stickiness when you are passing a group of slower riders and you must give a little push to avoid getting stuck to their group.

And you can also tell if you are getting draft benefit if your guy sits up and rides the tops of the bars. When you start going off to the side of somebody, you'll see your guy drop back down because he's fighting the wind again. And you can see that he sits up well before the "Close the Gap" stuff starts showing up.

So......clarifying a few Zwift items.
When your Avitar sits up iin a group it’s actually meaningful - drafting in progress.

What makes your Avitar stand out of the saddle? Mine almost never stands and when it does, it’s for like a second.

Can someone explain the “difficulty” setting a bit? I have mine set at about 55/60%. I had it at 100%?a while back and it killed my knees (although I have no knee problems out on the road).
Quote Reply
Re: How well do you know Zwift [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
bluto wrote:
Sticky draft simple example-
You are drafting behind another rider of the same weight, height, bike, etc. and he is putting out 4 w/kg on a flat road. You can be be sitting on his wheel at 3.7 or 3.2 w/kg. The stickiness prevents you from jumping out of the draft at 3.7 like you would in the real world (or you would run into the back of him). drafting in a big pack has a similar concept, but lots more variables. Efficient Zwift riders know how to surf the pack on minimum watts.

You can also see the stickiness when you are passing a group of slower riders and you must give a little push to avoid getting stuck to their group.

And you can also tell if you are getting draft benefit if your guy sits up and rides the tops of the bars. When you start going off to the side of somebody, you'll see your guy drop back down because he's fighting the wind again. And you can see that he sits up well before the "Close the Gap" stuff starts showing up.

So......clarifying a few Zwift items.
When your Avitar sits up iin a group it’s actually meaningful - drafting in progress.

What makes your Avitar stand out of the saddle? Mine almost never stands and when it does, it’s for like a second.

Can someone explain the “difficulty” setting a bit? I have mine set at about 55/60%. I had it at 100%?a while back and it killed my knees (although I have no knee problems out on the road).

Yes, sitting up means drafting. One thing I learned on this forum is you can even be drafting when it looks like you're off to the side -- what you see on your screen isn't necessarily what others see. So sitting up is best indicator.

Avatar stands when climbing at cadence below 70. Also when sprinting real hard like 10 watts/kg.

100% resistance is supposed to equal what the resistance would be for a given grade in real life.
Quote Reply
Re: How well do you know Zwift [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:

Except, if you're on the Tron bike, your avatar won't sit up and let you 'see' you are in the draft. Another reason to use a Madone/lightweight wheel in a group ride, IMO.

True. It's because the Tron bike doesn't have drop bars. There's only one position for your hands so you're stuck there. And I agree, I think the Madone with good aero wheels is even faster than the Tron bike. And you don't get the annoying glare off your own rear wheel when watching your avatar ride.
Quote Reply
Re: How well do you know Zwift [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an alternate ride leader for the Rise&Grind, and I'm planning on participating in the Tuesday morning run. I don't mind being an alternate leader for this run, but I'm concerned that while typing and riding is not all that hard, I feel typing and running may prove rather difficult.
Quote Reply

Prev Next