Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
GPS watches 2+ years old
Quote | Reply
Anyone have their watches become problematic recently? My 920 has been bricking a lot, wondering if it has to do with that integer overflow bug recently posted
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 735XT is rock solid after almost 3 years of use. That said, I just saw the post that Garmin accidentally leaked the imminent relase of the 945. I will be jumping on that game the moment it is available for pre-order.

My old 910XT started to glitch after a couple years. I chalked that off to age and living in a hostile environment more than anything else.

Thinking of the 920XT... It is a 5 year old platform that has been getting firmware updates through last year (at least), and it is the earliest watch (I think) that supports Connect IQ. Given its technical age, it is also probable that the SW updates and CIQ apps & features have destabilized it.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know when the 945 is coming out?
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
My 735XT is rock solid after almost 3 years of use. That said, I just saw the post that Garmin accidentally leaked the imminent relase of the 945. I will be jumping on that game the moment it is available for pre-order.

My old 910XT started to glitch after a couple years. I chalked that off to age and living in a hostile environment more than anything else.

Thinking of the 920XT... It is a 5 year old platform that has been getting firmware updates through last year (at least), and it is the earliest watch (I think) that supports Connect IQ. Given its technical age, it is also probable that the SW updates and CIQ apps & features have destabilized it.

I even did factory reset not much luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of the original 910xt watches (Christmas present in 2011) that is still going strong, but has problems once in a while. Sometimes it won't turn on, sometimes it can't find a GPS signal, and sometimes it gets lost in the middle of a run and reports that I ran across a lake, through a school, or other strange stuff. I've been thinking about getting a new watch but this one has been so reliable that I hate to drop it if it is still working.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
Do you know when the 945 is coming out?
I think this is the extent that anyone knows: https://gadgetsandwearables.com/...3/27/forerunner-945/

It is probably imminent, if the web developers are tweaking their pages and have content. But precisely when is anyone's guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Ambit 3 is a rockstar that's soon to be bricked by Suunto's decision to kill the app.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
My Ambit 3 is a rockstar that's soon to be bricked by Suunto's decision to kill the app.

Do you know when this is happening? I bought a 3 peak directly from Suunto for $170 about 6 months ago after turning in my brother's old watch to be fixed, which was DOA. Kinda bummed as it's been really reliable. Thinking maybe I should sell it now while it has some value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 935 stopped recording stairs climbed and all my runs/rides went to about 4x their elevation (several routes I travel a lot, and easy to see the jump) in late February the night I upgraded to the 12.5 system. Lots of people are also complaining on the Garmin forums about pace and temperature readings being Borked by 12.5.

I'm waiting to open a support case until Sea Otter, my next likely guess for a time Garmin could announce the 945.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [flyinryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyinryan wrote:
justinhorne wrote:

Do you know when this is happening? I bought a 3 peak directly from Suunto for $170 about 6 months ago after turning in my brother's old watch to be fixed, which was DOA. Kinda bummed as it's been really reliable. Thinking maybe I should sell it now while it has some value.

Here's the full details:

https://www.suunto.com/...-service-transition/

Looks like you're good until sometime in 2020. I should clarify, they're not outright bricking them, but the app itself will die, so apparently no screen customization, any workouts, that sort of thing. Seems like you'll be able to workout and sync, but you won't be able to make any changes to the watch itself (which seems absolutely ludicrous that they'll actively end the app to me.) So from my understanding, you'll lose the ability to do things like change the GPS accuracy and such. Definitely read the link for yourself, but yeah. Here's a reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/...1n4r/new_suunto_app/

In it, someone says:
"It's really good that Suunto has probably the best hardware on the current market... but the software issues are really killing it!" I've been saying that for literally like 4 years now. It's a permanent issue with them.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, thanks for the info. Relieved I can get through the year with it, at least. That's the truth about hardware. It's a workhouse. The software is a joke though. How does yours handle pool swims? Mine will be short or long 25m every 1000m or so. Seems to work better with 25yd pools for some reason.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [flyinryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyinryan wrote:
Ah, thanks for the info. Relieved I can get through the year with it, at least. That's the truth about hardware. It's a workhouse. The software is a joke though. How does yours handle pool swims? Mine will be short or long 25m every 1000m or so. Seems to work better with 25yd pools for some reason.

I only ever swim a 25yd pool, and yeah, same thing. I typically swim 1500-3000 and it's not uncommon to see a x75 while on my starting side and then it eventually click back to a 50 or 00 by the end.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David_Tris wrote:
My 935 stopped recording stairs climbed and all my runs/rides went to about 4x their elevation (several routes I travel a lot, and easy to see the jump) in late February the night I upgraded to the 12.5 system. Lots of people are also complaining on the Garmin forums about pace and temperature readings being Borked by 12.5.

I'm waiting to open a support case until Sea Otter, my next likely guess for a time Garmin could announce the 945.

Typical problem with the altimeter when you swim .. not sure if it's cause of salt or chlorine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 920 is rock solid. I have to delete all activities off of it every once in awhile, but otherwise no issues. I never plug it into a computer to update the software though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the sensor fail on two 935s (the most recent this week). On the Garmin forums it seems that most see problems related to heavy use in chlorine pools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a 910xt since the end if 2013. Fine for about 4 years.
(Though one s/w update did stuff up some elements for a bit, a while back).

Then about a year ago the power button got a bit intermittent. Eventually the button stopped working - wouldn't turn on.

Did a refurbed exchange unit for about £80. That died after 4 months (battery fault). Lost faith then and went and got a Polar Vantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my 920 for 3 years and everything works just fine with the exception of elevation, which close to a year ago stopped working right. Basically it assumes I am doing all of my workouts steadily at about 20,000' above sea level. Other than that, no problems.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there was a fix by letting soak in soapy water, and if possible wire hare in hole
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll give it a shot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
flyinryan wrote:

I only ever swim a 25yd pool, and yeah, same thing. I typically swim 1500-3000 and it's not uncommon to see a x75 while on my starting side and then it eventually click back to a 50 or 00 by the end.

Same here, it started having this issue late last year.. Flip turns or open turns, sometimes it's dead on, sometimes it misses 25m or has recorded 25m extra, and it has also shit the bed completely saying I've only done 250m while I swam 400m..
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
there was a fix by letting soak in soapy water, and if possible wire hare in hole

That fixed my trusty 920 xt!
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [Jz466] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad I could help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my 910 when they first came out years ago. The watch case broke last week; where the pin that holds the strap goes. I turned it on. Drilled a hole straight through the watch and zip tied the strap. Still works.

I am travelling so difficult to buy new stuff, hence the ghetto fix.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only ever had problems with my Fenix 3 when I've updated via my phone, one of which was the firmware for the GPS was completely wiped.

I only ever do it on my PC these days - and touch wood, no issues since.

Been toying with switching to a FR935 for some time (less weight on my skinny wrists!), but the screen's on the Garmin's look to be poor in comparison to Suunto & Polar - so I'm hoping for something new in the 945 - I'm not that fussed about NFC or music- I just want a screen I can read without squinting too much!
Quote Reply
Re: GPS watches 2+ years old [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emzee wrote:
I've had my 920 for 3 years and everything works just fine with the exception of elevation, which close to a year ago stopped working right. Basically it assumes I am doing all of my workouts steadily at about 20,000' above sea level. Other than that, no problems.

As the other guy said. Soapy water, I used a few hairs on an old tooth brush to clean out the hole. I assumed it was sunscreen clogging it. Sometimes it took a couple of cleans to get it up and running again.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next