Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
MVP at Gent Wevelgem this weekend
Quote | Reply
https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/racing/gent-wevelgem-2019-the-pez-race-preview/

MVP comes out to play with the big boys. Given he showed in Glasgow last year he can do a long road race you would expect him to be very near the front.

Strange comment from Ed Hood "He hasn’t raced much this year". Apart from twice very weekend in Jan/Feb Ed!!
Last edited by: newManUK: Mar 27, 19 2:36
Quote Reply
Re: MVP at Gent Wevelgem this weekend [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And winning his first road race and his last (after a quite heavy fall 3 days earlier in another race he had a good chance in). I wouldn't bet against him in the hard races coming up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MVP vs WVA at flanders or roubaix is going to be amazing to watch
Quote Reply
Re: MVP at Gent Wevelgem this weekend [redlude97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redlude97 wrote:
At one of these above--going to go with "Shimano" as MVP---could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redlude97 wrote:

I think that MVP is as worried about Wout as he was during the CX season! Plus I don't think he has ever lost to Wout on the road? While he has beat Gilbert and a few other stars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wva won the elfstedenronde in Bruges 2017 in a sprint with mvp ;)
http://www.sport.be/...ml?Article_ID=806674

Team Zoot Europe
Quote Reply
Re: MVP at Gent Wevelgem this weekend [Kaniman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redlude97 wrote:

They may have their own rivalry but it's improbable that any Monument is going to be just the two of them dueling. I'll say that watching the two of them dabble in/transition to road has been enlightening.
Quote Reply
Re: MVP at Gent Wevelgem this weekend [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
redlude97 wrote:

They may have their own rivalry but it's improbable that any Monument is going to be just the two of them dueling. I'll say that watching the two of them dabble in/transition to road has been enlightening.

Exactly. MVdP Steamrolled through the CX season, but frankly the talent he's up against is not at the same level as what he's up against in the classics. In CX both his power and skills are unmatched. Frankly, his power and speed really allow his skills to shine. In the classics, however, his skill is of less value and his power is matched by others.

However, If we use Wout as a measure, MVdP ought to be able to compete well. I'm looking forward to it.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: MVP at Gent Wevelgem this weekend [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
As for one of these above--going to go with "Shimano" as MVP---could be wrong.

Ok, bad joke. Sarcasm isn’t my strength...
Quote Reply
Re: MVP at Gent Wevelgem this weekend [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:
redlude97 wrote:

Exactly. MVdP Steamrolled through the CX season, but frankly the talent he's up against is not at the same level as what he's up against in the classics. In CX both his power and skills are unmatched. Frankly, his power and speed really allow his skills to shine. In the classics, however, his skill is of less value and his power is matched by others.

However, If we use Wout as a measure, MVdP ought to be able to compete well. I'm looking forward to it.
To me two top 6 finishes in strade Bianche and San remo are more impressive than a win in a Belgium classic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redlude97 wrote:
xtrpickels wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:
redlude97 wrote:

To me two top 6 finishes in strade Bianche and San remo are more impressive than a win in a Belgium classic.

What!!

Because history always remembers who was top six!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MVP is currently Dutch national champion in cross, XC MTB and road. Meanwhile WVA is outdueling some of the greatest classics riders in the world after riding 6.5 hours at MSR. Both of these guys are unbelievable talents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who had even heard of Grand Prix of Denain before last week?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redlude97 wrote:

Not a Belgium classic. Firstly it's in France and not a classic. Not really helping your point!
Quote Reply
Re: MVP at Gent Wevelgem this weekend [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
MVP is currently Dutch national champion in cross, XC MTB and road. Meanwhile WVA is outdueling some of the greatest classics riders in the world after riding 6.5 hours at MSR. Both of these guys are unbelievable talents.

I'm looking forward to it. I would have thought that E3 suits MvdP better, but he'll come to race Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
redlude97 wrote:

Not a Belgium classic. Firstly it's in France and not a classic. Not really helping your point!
Sorry I mismembered which race MVP crashed at which was a Belgian classic and which one he won. Still not sure how that hurts my point, both races he's raced in are way lower caliber than the ones WVA has been competitive in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2nd place for WVA at E3, getting really excited for the upcoming races
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First blood

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/dwars-door-vlaanderen-2019/results/

MVP wins. I think he gets to race Flanders with no pressure now as he has another good win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redlude97 wrote:
newManUK wrote:
redlude97 wrote:

Sorry I mismembered which race MVP crashed at which was a Belgian classic and which one he won. Still not sure how that hurts my point, both races he's raced in are way lower caliber than the ones WVA has been competitive in.

European Champs 2018 in Glasgow? Higher caliber enough for you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
First blood

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/dwars-door-vlaanderen-2019/results/

MVP wins. I think he gets to race Flanders with no pressure now as he has another good win.
Thats great after his 4th place finish in GW this past weekend, seeing him and WVA in the front group is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
newManUK wrote:
redlude97 wrote:

European Champs 2018 in Glasgow? Higher caliber enough for you?
That was from before cyclocross season...I think you're misinterpreting my point, its amazing that both guys are making the transition of 60 min threshold efforts to super long road races at an elite level. Preperation for both seasons should obviously be different to some extent and being a cyclocross fan first, seeing either of both succeed is what I want, I don't have a particular favorite other than WVA riding a bianchi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me try to answer this in a none confrontation manner

1) Firstly you said that finishing top 6 at SB or MSR was better than winning a Belgium Classic?

Personally I class Flanders/P-R (ok I know it's in France) as the Belgium/classics. Winning one of those puts you up with the cycling gods and can set your entire career so I completely disagree.

2) Now you seem to be making the point that you can't extrapolate a 1 hour ride to a 4-6 classic. Which many would agree with! However, you did this without the knowing that MVP has already proven himself a few times over the longer distances. Like coming 2rd in the European RR Champs in Glasgow. Which was a long, cold, hard race where many of the big boys dropped out.

You might be interested to read what the Roger has to say about them

""If you have big class, then you can do everything. From the moment Van der Poel and Van Aert became professional cyclists, I knew that they would be two very good road racers. The best in Belgium and Holland. I said that," said De Vlaeminck, who dismissed comparisons with Sven Nys. "A good cyclist, Nys, but he didn't have big class. He was lucky that he didn't have to race against 'Van Aertje' and Van der Poel.""

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...flanders-approaches/

Roger De Vlaeminck (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_De_Vlaeminck)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:

1) Firstly you said that finishing top 6 at SB or MSR was better than winning a Belgium Classic?

Personally I class Flanders/P-R (ok I know it's in France) as the Belgium/classics. Winning one of those puts you up with the cycling gods and can set your entire career so I completely disagree.

2) Now you seem to be making the point that you can't extrapolate a 1 hour ride to a 4-6 classic. Which many would agree with! However, you did this without the knowing that MVP has already proven himself a few times over the longer distances. Like coming 2rd in the European RR Champs in Glasgow. Which was a long, cold, hard race where many of the big boys dropped out.

""If you have big class, then you can do everything. From the moment Van der Poel and Van Aert became professional cyclists, I knew that they would be two very good road racers. The best in Belgium and Holland. I said that," said De Vlaeminck, who dismissed comparisons with Sven Nys. "A good cyclist, Nys, but he didn't have big class. He was lucky that he didn't have to race against 'Van Aertje' and Van der Poel.""

1) Uh yes? not sure how else to justify that one, and it was a 3rd and 6th place finish, and now a 2nd place finish in world tour events that get UCI points, WVA is leading in UCI points of MVP although its close which is why its exciting to see where they finish in flanders/PR.

2) Since this is ST I assume we both understand how periodization, specificity, and peaking work within a training plan and schedule right? Assuming both WVA and MVP trained to peak for cyclocross worlds its likely they are now coming down from that peak in specific fitness as they transition to road whereas many of the other road riders are increasing their CTL in a base/build phase to peak later in the season. Obviously world class rider's troughs in their training are going to be higher than peaks for lower riders everyone knows that. Both riders have a lot of potential to make a transition to road successfully and I expect them to only get better once they stop prioritizing the cyclocross season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redlude97 wrote:
newManUK wrote:

1) Uh yes? not sure how else to justify that one, and it was a 3rd and 6th place finish, and now a 2nd place finish in world tour events that get UCI points, WVA is leading in UCI points of MVP although its close which is why its exciting to see where they finish in flanders/PR.

2) Since this is ST I assume we both understand how periodization, specificity, and peaking work within a training plan and schedule right? Assuming both WVA and MVP trained to peak for cyclocross worlds its likely they are now coming down from that peak in specific fitness as they transition to road whereas many of the other road riders are increasing their CTL in a base/build phase to peak later in the season. Obviously world class rider's troughs in their training are going to be higher than peaks for lower riders everyone knows that. Both riders have a lot of potential to make a transition to road successfully and I expect them to only get better once they stop prioritizing the cyclocross season.

MVDP is really focusing on XCO this year to get ready for the olympics, so in many ways this is a build for him. Wout is essentially going into full road mode from here on out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next