Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2019 NCAA D1 (and other Championship Meets) Swimming thread.
Quote | Reply
Here we go. (I was on vacation and missed the women's meet, sorry..)

So.... Dean Farris!! Just last year the men cracked the 1:30 barrier for the 2free, and now Dean goes 1:29.15 to lead off the Harvard relay. Crazy. It looks like the guys are changing how the 200 is being swum, it's no longer a middle distance event. Just take it out fast and try and hang on is the new way of doing it. Too bad he isn't swimming the individual 200 free, but we'll have to watch his 100 back with the form he's in.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 16, 19 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watch it here...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s crazy. Most people here can’t swim a 100 yds that fast!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, and Texas got the NCAA and American record in the final heat, swimming a 6:05 low. But that's kind of "meh" in comparison to Dean's swim. I mean, Haas "only" swam a 1:29.66 to anchor the relay. Phht….

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's lineup

200 free relay - no idea, all depends on who's nailed their taper. Its in Texas, they'll be motivated especially after a fast 800 free relay on Day1.
500 free - wide open. 21 guys seeded sub-4:15...
200 IM (seliskar is probably the favorite, but Vini Lanza could push him (go IU!)
50 Free - wide open, there's no Caeleb this year.
400 Medley Relay (IU is the top seed. Go Hoosiers!)

I've adopted IU as my "home" team, since I have family in Indiana who have attended IU. Plus Cody Miller's youtube channel is awesome.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason, thanks for posting that video!

I need to pay more attention to the times. Watching that is making me appreciate more local HS swimmer Carson Foster's 200 Free time at the Ohio HS state meet last month, swimming sub 1:33. I knew it was a state and national record but didn't realize HS times were that close to competitive college times (at least in this case).

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you break an Ohio state record, then you're something special talent wise. A lot of great swimmers have come out of the Ohio / Indiana / Michigan area.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is he not in the individual?

Edit: nvm.. SwimSwam is my friend. Wants a rested 100 back. At Ivy he went 45.xx just minutes after a 1:30.xx in the 200.
Last edited by: ripple: Mar 28, 19 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
If you break an Ohio state record, then you're something special talent wise. A lot of great swimmers have come out of the Ohio / Indiana / Michigan area.

And I'll brag about our own (Madison, UW) native Beata Nelson in the Women's field. THREE national titles; 100 Back, 200 back, 200IM. Times are amazing in all the events....One of my favorite sporting events to follow....
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NCAA's limit the number of individual events. He's got the 100 free and 100 back (and maybe the 50 free) (100 back is same day as 200 free)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link to timing results:

http://www.sidearmstats.com/ncaa/swimming/index.htm

Stream finals via ESPN, prelims are using a Texas' own site: https://texassports.com/...ve=364&type=Live

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one observation about that swim: He was absolutely DONE on that last lap. he went from taking 10 strokes to 14 on the last one. I would have liked to see him climb out of the water. Did he need help?

Texas was flat this morning. Kind of surprised by that.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think Texas swam their top team in heats. They may have another gear for finals

Yeah, he was cooked. You can see it in his splits. Thats what happens when you split 1:05 through 150

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crikey. I'm old enough to remember when a 42 for the open 100 was hot shit, now you split a 43/44 at the feet and just keep going for another 100...
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Cal had a good day today, winning the 200 free relay, 2nd in the 500, 1st in the 2IM, and 1-2 in the 50 free. Nice to see Seliskar finally win a title (and only 0.01 off Dressel’s 2IM record). Still the 400medley relay to go..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haas just split 2:00.4 at the 250 of the 500 & died & still won with a 4:08!!!!!!

I’ve always said NCAA’s needs to have a fat guy in lane 8 so that the rest of us can appreciate how truly fast these guys are.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Haas just split 2:00.4 at the 250 of the 500 & died & still won with a 4:08!!!!!!

I’ve always said NCAA’s needs to have a fat guy in lane 8 so that the rest of us can appreciate how truly fast these guys are.

And IU crushed the 4MR. Mostly on the strength of Finnerty 49.6 breaststroke split!! And Apple’s 40.x free split.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kind of feel for Julian Trenton, he missed the final by 1/100 of a second, then did a time in the banana heat that would have gotten him 4th in the big final. I dont care who you are, or how hard you thought you swam, you know where you could have gotten a 100th of a second. Looks like lots of those top 15 500 guys had trouble in the final too, most gave all they had in the prelims, like they should have apparently...

The walls are just getting faster and faster, remember way back in the old days when we though the times Caleb was doing would be long held marks out there to chase? All I can say is, he better also be getting better every year, 6 months of being stagnant now and the field is going to catch you!!

But the 500 still remains a stalwart event that is anchored in history(kind of like Kona and the times there). Tom Dolan went 4;08+ in the mid 90's, a time that wins today. And 10 years before him in the mid 80's, Mike O'Brian went a 4;13 flat. Just imagine both of those guys swimming with today's technological advances. There were plenty from the decade of the mid 80's to 90's, but from then to today, forget about it, those old dudes were the best...
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget Tom Dolan was also a world class 400 IMer. And his turns, ugh, so lanky and clunky, although I didn't notice great turn work from anyone in the 500 tonight. I wonder where the improvement is going to come from to approach the 4m barrier. Haas was out in 2:00.x tonight halfway and wasn't close. He's always been a 1st half guy. I wonder what they could go with a rabbit or if a guy like Haas gets in with a negative split type guy who can also go similar time.

That 2nd half of the IM tonight was sick. 28.x on the breast? Ha. My best relay split loses to that. And the 400 MR, another sub-3. Everything has gotten so fast, can't even fathom 49.6 on breast. Can't fathom any of it actually. Dressel spoiled us all too.. we won't even be impressed with the 50/100 free this year /sarc.

Sickest meet in the world every year.
Last edited by: ripple: Mar 28, 19 20:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
But the 500 still remains a stalwart event that is anchored in history(kind of like Kona and the times there). Tom Dolan went 4;08+ in the mid 90's, a time that wins today. And 10 years before him in the mid 80's, Mike O'Brian went a 4;13 flat. Just imagine both of those guys swimming with today's technological advances. There were plenty from the decade of the mid 80's to 90's, but from then to today, forget about it, those old dudes were the best...

Ya, Dolan's 4:08.75 at the 1995 NCAAs would have only been 0.56 sec behind Townley today. For some reason, the 500 seems not to have had the steep drops we've seen in the 50, 100, and 200 free.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haas has never had great turns, and Dolan was a freak of nature. It’s a little like in 20 years we’ll be saying that women’s mid distance and distance free hasn’t progressed because they have barely caught up to Katie’s times. Outliers gonna be outliers.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Farris is a BAD ASS! So fun to watch.

A kid from our club is seeded first in the 100 fly (from Michigan). Would love to see him pull it off. And I just love what Ray Looze is doing with the Indiana team. So strong! The times these guys are putting up would have been laughed at 20 years ago when I was swimming in college. For a whole relay team to go 18s in the 50 free - people would have said it was impossible!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newb question but is that a meter pool or yard pool?

How / when / why do NCAA D1 meets swim short course or long course. I don’t know anything about this but I assumed they always swam LCM because a lot of these top swimmers in college also seem to be Olympic material? Also assumed LCM because I think it was the Phillips 66 meet from this past summer was LCM

Appreciate any insight
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They swim in a 25 yard pool, just like every high school and college in the US. It goes way back and that is just the size pools we built in the olden days, and they never changed. There was a push in the 70's to go metric, but it fell flat along with speed limits and other measuring things.

But you are right, most olympians end up in these pools in their younger years because they get recruited to go to our colleges from all around the world. We have talked about it before, but this meet is often the fastest/deepest meet in the world, including the Olympic Games. On one hand it just takes the absolute fastest athletes(within the NCAA of course) while the olympics just takes a few from each country, regardless if they are actually the fastest in the world at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
Newb question but is that a meter pool or yard pool?

How / when / why do NCAA D1 meets swim short course or long course. I don’t know anything about this but I assumed they always swam LCM because a lot of these top swimmers in college also seem to be Olympic material? Also assumed LCM because I think it was the Phillips 66 meet from this past summer was LCM

Appreciate any insight

NCAA is different from USA Swimming, the Phillips 66 meet, (along with the Arena Pro Swim series and a lot of other meets that are NOT NCAA's) are put on by USA Swimming. They'll run meets in typically SCY or LCM, depending on the time of year whether it's LC season or SC season. LC season starts around now and goes through the summer. SC season starts in the Fall and goes through the winter. There's typically some kind of championship meet that marks the end of each season.

As far as I know, NCAA meets are all SCY.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next