Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: BB: 24 vs 30 mm spindle [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it amusing when people bash on the 4130's not lasting long, I've had my BB transferred from 3 frameset now (close to 25k miles) in order to run a bb30 quarq on bb86 frames.
True BB30 is "4230" so you are "loosing" 1mm total, 0.5mm per each side...
Also running 4130's on my mtb and it's been solid. The only pro of 24mm spindles is that they should fit every frame
Quote Reply
Re: BB: 24 vs 30 mm spindle [mmiloou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just put a BB386 crank into a Giant Defy with a BB86 frame.

I used a FSA BB386 Crank to BB86 / BB92 Bottom Bracket

There are two FSA BB386 to BB86 bottom brackets and the first one I bought did not fit as the cups were too deep. The second one fit just fine.

I also purchased the Rotor 4130 and the only reason it didn't go in is because the FSA showed up earlier.

Have you used any other bottom bracket other than the 4130 and can comment on your experience?
Quote Reply
Re: BB: 24 vs 30 mm spindle [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wheelsmfg makes quality BB's, maybe endurobearings has a solution as well.
Quote Reply
Re: BB: 24 vs 30 mm spindle [mmiloou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmiloou wrote:
I find it amusing when people bash on the 4130's not lasting long, I've had my BB transferred from 3 frameset now (close to 25k miles) in order to run a bb30 quarq on bb86 frames.
True BB30 is "4230" so you are "loosing" 1mm total, 0.5mm per each side...
Also running 4130's on my mtb and it's been solid. The only pro of 24mm spindles is that they should fit every frame

What BB are you running? I've bounced back and forth between the Rotor 4130 and Wheels MFG. I think the Wheels MFG lasts longer but there is no way that I could get a full season out of them.
Quote Reply
Re: BB: 24 vs 30 mm spindle [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
Also, could someone explain to me why the 30mm (bigger) are lighter?
https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-red-crankset-0
(similar with rotor)

cyclenutnz wrote:

30mm lighter because it can be made from aluminium. 24mm needs to be steel.

The new Rotor Aldhu is a mix-and-match system where you select different pieces to assemble the crankset you want; arms, axle, and chainwheel set. Since it comes in both 30mm (7075 aluminum) and 24 mm (niquel coated steel) axle versions, it's possible to isolate the weight difference of the just axle. The single available 24mm axle is 145g; the same width 30mm axle is 96g. The drive side of the two systems are identical, so this is as close to an apples-to-apples comparison as you can get. FWIW, the crank arms for the 30mm axle are 8g less than the same length arm for the 24mm axle, presumably because more material has been removed to make the larger "hole" for the larger axle on the non-drive side arm.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 2, 19 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: BB: 24 vs 30 mm spindle [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
what grade of loctite are we using to properly seat our BB shells?

For carbon

7649 primer
641 for the install

Use those and PF BBs are not the evil that many make them out to be.
Quote Reply

Prev Next