Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What supplements are you taking and why
Quote | Reply
I recently attended a presentation on nutrition by an Olympic swimmer, in this he mentioned that supplements were a critical piece in his performance. I don't take anything and I'd not really thought much about this so naturally I thought 'is this something I'm missing out on performance wise?'

Having a quick search on ST reveals surprisingly little on supplements (other than for vegans) so I'm wondering are we all missing a trick here or is it a myth / marketing?

So I wondering what supplements do you take? why do you take them? How do you know which supplements to take? Is there a benefit for someone who is not a vegan and who doesn't have a medical issue or diagnosed deficiency?
Quote Reply
Re: What supplements are you taking and why [Stimps9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Miller (Olympic Gold / Bronze medalist for 100 Breast in Rio) recently talked about supplements and the supplements he takes. In a nutshell, they are important at that level when you are chasing that final 0.5% improvement that makes the difference between making the US Olympic Team or not, or making the Olympic final, chasing tiny gains. But that's only after all your other ducks are in a row. You are eating healthy, getting plenty of sleep, are consistently performing at a high level.

There's also the matter of training load. I dunno how much you train, but Cody is sometimes doing 4 workouts a day, (2 swims, weights and dryland) and he's doing that pretty consistently all year at an intensity that supports his specialty, which are events lasting only 1 to 2 minutes.

I don't eat well enough, get enough sleep or train hard enough to even consider whether supplements would have any beneficial effect.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What supplements are you taking and why [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I require no supplements because I follow the ABCs of nutrition. Alcohol, Bacon, and Chocolate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would ask the Olympic swimmer how he knows its a critical piece in his performance.

Soliciting internet opinions is a pretty poor way to evaluate the effectiveness of supplements. Most of what you'll get will either be anecdotes or bro science interpretations.

A ton of research has been done on supplements and a lot of it is available online. I haven't researched the issue seriously, but I've never seen anything with a dramatic enough result that I would consider it worth while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stimps9 wrote:
I recently attended a presentation on nutrition by an Olympic swimmer, in this he mentioned that supplements were a critical piece in his performance. I don't take anything and I'd not really thought much about this so naturally I thought 'is this something I'm missing out on performance wise?'

Having a quick search on ST reveals surprisingly little on supplements (other than for vegans) so I'm wondering are we all missing a trick here or is it a myth / marketing?

So I wondering what supplements do you take? why do you take them? How do you know which supplements to take? Is there a benefit for someone who is not a vegan and who doesn't have a medical issue or diagnosed deficiency?
If I don't have a problem, I'm not going looking for a solution.

I do have low iron according to every blood test I've had since I was a kid. Not dangerously low but typically just off the bottom of normal range. I started taking iron supplements about 18 months ago and it certainly seems to have made a difference. My HR for a given power output seemed to fall several beats over the first few months and has been pretty consistent ever since. Not a controlled test so I can't be certain but, I'm reasonably confident the iron was the cause.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O had a streak of illness 3-4 years ago and got my blood tested for vitamins/minerals. Even on a poor diet (student at the time), everything was fine.
Today i take 1x fish oil (that could not be seen in test and i know i dont eat enough fish anyway), and 1x multivitamin each day too, fully knowing it might just be money out the window, but it gives me reassurance. I know people who on top of that has 3xminerals 3x vitamins etc. as well, i think that is silly.
Most people are fine, they might lack D vitamin in winther and Iron if female.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take a multivitamin (Garden of Life) because overall I don't think I eat enough veggies and healthy stuff and my immune system is in general fairly weak. I take fish oil per my eye doctor's recommendation (makes my eyes less dry and contact lenses easier to wear).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Magnesium (with calcium and zinc+vitamin D for better absorption ) because I have very low levels otherwise. Did a test a long time ago, and I pee out twice as much as most people. So the supplement keeps me in the middle range, rather on the low or under low ranges, which can cause real bad problems with your heart..

Also take Niacin for cholesterol management.

CoQ10 for heart(not sure this works, but take it anyway)

Baby Aspirin about 3 times a week(lots of info about this, lately some negative stuff on bleeding)

When sick or feeling that way, add in Vitamin C and a B supplement(again, not sure of any value)

#1 for me is saltstix supplement. I am a hyper excreter and I need to take salt in every day, or I cramp up and and have heart irregularities. I train in a fasted state every morning, so I absolutely need these to get through the mornings and afternoons. It also just keeps me in the middle ranges on blood tests, and without them, I know almost immediately that I'm in the low ranges...
Quote Reply
Re: What supplements are you taking and why [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take night time ZMA (melatonin, etc). Hands down its the best thing to help my training. I'm not sure if the ZMA does anything, but I sleep like a baby and am typically fresh even on less sleep. Prior to using it I had issues sleeping, not quite insomnia, but enough that it affected training.
Quote Reply
Re: What supplements are you taking and why [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
I take night time ZMA (melatonin, etc). Hands down its the best thing to help my training. I'm not sure if the ZMA does anything, but I sleep like a baby and am typically fresh even on less sleep. Prior to using it I had issues sleeping, not quite insomnia, but enough that it affected training.

I'm taking tryptophan and some casein protien right before bed and I sleep like a baby. Whey and some bcaa's during the day. High quality fish oil before bed.

Any benefits using meatonin vs tryptophan? I read that tryptophan from food/supplements, our bodies convert it to 5-HTP (5-hyrdoxytryptophan), and then to serotonin, melatonin. Wonder if it's better to take something at the beginning of the process or something at the end (melatonin)

IG -frebay | Strava
Last edited by: frebay: Mar 27, 19 9:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't take supplements, but add things like cumin, turmeric, cinnamon and other spices to a lot of my foods. I think more of what you eat on a daily basis is more beneficial than popping a few supplement pills.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thing is first, diet. If you're not eating a diet loaded with micro-nutrient containing vegetables you've got an issue.

So now that we've addressed diet lets get to the nitty gritty. In parentheses is what I take specifically. Honestly, most "endurance" supplement companies have atrocious flavor systems.

BCAAs (https://www.tigerfitness.com/...trition-machine-fuel)
Fish Oil (https://www.tigerfitness.com/...trition-mts-fish-oil)
Joint Supplement (https://www.tigerfitness.com/...joint-health-formula)
Greens+Multivitamin Supplement (https://www.tigerfitness.com/...riant=17535776129082)
Daily Health Supplement (https://www.tigerfitness.com/...ucts/ambrosia-nektar)

Depending on the day, I'll also have some whey protein.

Then I add this in during long runs and bike sessions. I like to mix my own hydration stuff with this salt supplement and the bcaa (https://www.tigerfitness.com/...nutrition-naturalyte)

In regards to MTS Nutrition and Ambrosia, both are produced in NSF and GMP facilities. Although they haven't gotten Informed Choice certifications yet, the CEO is very cognizant of the legal issues that go along with the supplement industry and if they were contaminated you'd have some rights as they do work with NSF and GMP on this. Several brands that he's partnered in like HPN does have Informed Choice and Informed Sport certifications. Yes, these are all very "Bro" supplements, but this also crosses over very well to endurance.

When it comes to Fish Oil though, Costco has a bunch of different ones under the Kirkland brand that are quite adequately dosed.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daytime I take a daily multivitamin (Costco brand) and a Sport Research Blueberry Concentrate Pill (for the anti-oxidants). Before bed I take ZMA with theanine (seems to help with my circulation and prevent calf cramping) and a Sport Research Tart Cherry Concentrate Pill (supposedly helps with sleep and muscle recovery). If I don't make eggs for breakfast then I also often add a little whey protein powder to a small bowl of cereal.
Quote Reply
Re: What supplements are you taking and why [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
I require no supplements because I follow the ABCs of nutrition. Alcohol, Bacon, and Chocolate.

I follow the ABCDs...same as yours with Donuts
Quote Reply
Re: What supplements are you taking and why [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

Soliciting internet opinions is a pretty poor way to evaluate the effectiveness of supplements. Most of what you'll get will either be anecdotes or bro science interpretations.

I thought that's why we're all here on a forum...to solicit the opinions of fellow tri-bro-scientists.
Quote Reply
Re: What supplements are you taking and why [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
First thing is first, diet. If you're not eating a diet loaded with micro-nutrient containing vegetables you've got an issue.

What are you basing that statement on? Even a shitty diet will provide the recommended daily allowances for most people unless its dramatically lacking in variety. Hell, a bowl of fortified cereal in the morning and you are mostly there.

The evidence that most supplements will improve your bottom line health are sketchy at best?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EPO, Test and HGH... 'cause they are the only ones that really work LOL

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: What supplements are you taking and why [mackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mackey wrote:
Thom wrote:

I thought that's why we're all here on a forum...to solicit the opinions of fellow tri-bro-scientists.

Uhm,... yeah- that's why I'm here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At a minimum, if you are a life long endurance junkie, you should be taking CoQ10/Ubiquinol and Magnesium for heart health, not performance. No guarantee that it will prevent A-fib, but I think these were recommended in the book The Haywire Heart. I can't find my copy to verifty, so that's off the top of my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please try to perform on burgers and fries versus steak and broccoli.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Please try to perform on burgers and fries versus steak and broccoli.

This is a thread about supplements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And supplements are about pushing you over the top. RDA is just RDA.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does weed count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
And supplements are about pushing you over the top. RDA is just RDA.

Supplements are mostly used to eliminate micro nutrient deficiencies. I'm not aware of any evidence that adding more of any micro nutrient will somehow push you over the top, whatever that means. I would gladly reconsider if there good evidence i'm not aware of.

Listen, I'm not trying to be a dick here but there is little or no good evidence that taking handfuls of pills will make you perform better or be significantly healthier. Unless you are experiencing some kind of deficiency, which is pretty rare in the western world (think scurvy), it's mostly a waste of money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which is why I emphasized DIET first.

Quote Reply

Prev Next