Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lodging for IM TX
Quote | Reply
Coming alone so I don't need anything fancy. If the family was coming I would do a VRBO, but right now I'm planning on booking the Extended Stay America in Spring, TX (150 Valley Wood Drive, Spring, TX). Any reason not to?

Thanks,
-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Lodging for IM TX [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Coming alone so I don't need anything fancy. If the family was coming I would do a VRBO, but right now I'm planning on booking the Extended Stay America in Spring, TX (150 Valley Wood Drive, Spring, TX). Any reason not to?

Thanks,
-Colin

Should be fine. If you intend to ride your bike to Expo/Swim Practice/etc, then take Nursery Rd into the Woodlands.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Lodging for IM TX [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stayed there the past 2 years. Expect nothing and you will be OK. First year was fine but last year there were bed bugs that were actually visible crawling on the sheets on several occasions. I had to have the room completely torn down and “bug bombed” the 3 rd day I was there. Had to stay out of the room for the day. I am trying a different low budget place due to that experience this year.
Location is good.
Quote Reply
Re: Lodging for IM TX [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
Stayed there the past 2 years. Expect nothing and you will be OK. First year was fine but last year there were bed bugs that were actually visible crawling on the sheets on several occasions. I had to have the room completely torn down and “bug bombed” the 3 rd day I was there. Had to stay out of the room for the day. I am trying a different low budget place due to that experience this year.
Location is good.

Oh God, that sounds horrible, thanks for the info. I've had good luck with Extended Stay before. Where are you looking for this year?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am already booked at Motel 6 Houston North in Spring on Cypress Ct. Also going low budget, no family in tow so this is purely a "business" trip for me.

I don't have any expectations for Motel 6 however it can't be worse than the ExtStay. This is about another 5 minutes down the road during race morning traffic so not a big deal.
I take all reviews with a grain of salt but the motel 6 reviews seem a bit better than ExtStay.

There were a lot people that were living at the extended stay full time, you could tell they were at the end of the rope type of situations. Some of it really hard for me
as I saw a few kids leaving for school each morning and thought of my own daughters and just said thank God I have been so fortunate. Also a bunch of much rougher
types. The "free breakfast" is literally nature valley granola bars, plastic wrapper muffins and coffee. Hotel office is locked up as tight as Fort Knox due to security concerns
I guess.

The extended stay has delivered on cold A/C, hot water, and a few towels. Those were my expectations. But the bugs in the bed and an occasional "palmetto bug" scampering
from under the kitchenette has led me to trying something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad I clicked on this post. I had booked a room there but after reading this I have cancelled my reservation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading this thread makes me enjoy my socioeconomic status in life.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Lodging for IM TX [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed. I'm just looking for a clean bed and a kitchen. Time to start investigating the VRBO for one options.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm afraid you're not likely to find it much better at that Motel 6 and to top it off it's a worse part of town. You'll have easy access to some happy post race massages and if you need a little pre-race bump it should be easy to find.

Good luck. I grew up in the area and was down there a few weeks ago for a track meet. Let's just say I was glad my son's event was early in the program and I was out of there before dark.
Quote Reply
Re: Lodging for IM TX [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I'm afraid you're not likely to find it much better at that Motel 6 and to top it off it's a worse part of town. You'll have easy access to some happy post race massages and if you need a little pre-race bump it should be easy to find.

Good luck. I grew up in the area and was down there a few weeks ago for a track meet. Let's just say I was glad my son's event was early in the program and I was out of there before dark.

Good to know. Any local recommendation for where to stay is appreciated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Good to know. Any local recommendation for where to stay is appreciated.

You could stay at my place ... about a block from swim start ... but I'm out of town that weekend and I'm not sure my wife would appreciate that. :-)

Not knowing what has availability that weekend but if you're looking for something a bit cheaper than the hotels a few blocks from the transition area, I'd suggest going North a bit on the freeway. From south to north you've got the following:

Courtyard (west of freeway)
Drury Inn (west of freeway)
Holiday Inn (east of freeway)
Home 2 Suites (east of freeway)
Courtyard Suites (east of freeway)
La Quinta (west of freeway)
Days Inn (west of freeway)
Townplace Suites (west of freeway)
Springhill Suites (west of freeway)

That should get you started. Good luck finding something within your budget.

p.s. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm going to make a IM Texas reference website for things like this (hotels, restaurants, pools, bike shops, etc.). Maybe someday if I retire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
p.s. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm going to make a IM Texas reference website for things like this (hotels, restaurants, pools, bike shops, etc.). Maybe someday if I retire.

Don't count on that retirement plan. I got laid off about six weeks ago and I haven't really seen much extra time for 'personal projects'. At this point I'm wondering how I ever had time to work.

Thanks for the tips.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive stayed, and will be staying, at the Marriott courtyard springwoods village. Very clean, a short drive to The Woodlands. And relatively affordable ($400 total for 3 nights).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I have been settled into the Motel 6 for a few days now and I am having a bit of laugh remembering your post on what to expect. In all seriousness the place is a dump not suitable for about 98% of Ironmen. That much being said it is has been way better than extended stay. Big pluses are daily room service, fast internet, flat screen with directTV, a bar of soap and no bugs so far. Rooms are better and noticeably feel more sanitary, no need for air freshener. I also have the pool to myself. (I don’t know if anyone has used it in months)

Now if I can just get out of here without my bike being stolen it will be a win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the candlewood suites on I45, about 15 minutes sound of the woodlands. I think this hotel just opened. I mean, like it opened in February or March. It's possible I'm the first in this room, there was a lightbulb sitting on the bed when I checked in.

Nothing fancy, but it checks the boxes: seems clean, kitchenette, wifi.

Quote Reply