Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 935 or Fenix 5 Sapphire?
Quote | Reply
I currently use the 920XT for past 4 years with NO issues. Considering either, the 935XT or the Fenix 5 Sapphire. Thoughts, plusses, negatives, screen read ability? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 or Fenix 5 Sapphire? [GHTRIGUY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like my 935. lighter, thinner profile, and after 1.5yrs, still looks new-ish.
Friends have the Fenix 5 and the wear & tear shows with the metal coming through the paint-job.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 or Fenix 5 Sapphire? [Tritops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my 3rd Fenix (on 5 plus now), never had a running only version from Garmin so can't help much there. I bought the Sapphire this time and glad I did. Its 6 months old, on my wrist all day/night and use it extensively for IM training. Not a scratch on the glass where my old non Sapphire had cuts across the glass. The bezel looks pretty clean too. Overall pretty happy.

Main reason I have it is for IM training and racing and I like that I only have to charge it about once a week. If I was going short course I would consider an Apple Watch (not ideal for racing) but good enough paired with my Garmin bike computer etc and pairs well with the phone for other functionality.

I have also used the maps extensively, pair it with my InReach mini. Occasionally use NFC payment, but pretty much always have my phone and that is faster.

Only gripe is it does not stay connected well to my iphone. I have to open the Garmin app up enough to get updates, text message etc so wish it was better there, suspect its an iphone thing but whatever.. Let me know if you have other questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did an upgrade from 920XT to 935.... maybe it's a placebo, but i did notice the wait difference between the 2.

No real scratching issues with the old one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go the Fenix 5 because I like that it looks as sharp as a Breitling or a Tag Heuer and I wear it every day. I have red, yellow and green arm bands for working out and I wear a black one when dressing up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
935 if you want lightweight, long battery life, and a quick release set-up for the bike. Fenix 5+ (go for the plus because it is newer and has better GPS than the 5) if you want a more sold watch that does look business like. Battery life in the 5+ is good (although there are a number of reports to the contrary) but not as good as the 935.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a Fenix 5 for 18 months with no issues, didn't get the Sapphire screen (though did buy a metal strap separately) and I'm not particularly careful at looking after it but have no scratches on the screen. Do have some scuffs on the metal body but doesn't bother me.

In terms of software and features, as I understand it they're completely the same. Sapphire screen apart (and per above I haven't seen the need for it), my view is that it simply comes down to cosmetic preferences. Fenix 5 looks more stylish (IMO) and like a regular watch for the 20+ hours a day you're not training. The trade off is that it's more expensive, heavier and bulkier.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 or Fenix 5 Sapphire? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the Fenix 5s last november and i am vdisappointed. The optical HR sensor is useless for any training (works ok while at rest, but in training it is all over the place), and the watch also keeps dropping connection to HR strap (at least the tacx one I have). I left Polar after 20 yrs to get the optical HR sensor so am pretty gutted.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 935 or Fenix 5 Sapphire? [Swede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
935 with brown leather strap for me. Had lots of positive complements on it which surprising as I swapped to it from a Tag SL series watch.

Had it a year, and no issues really up until last month when I noticed cracks on the HR sensor. Still works well, even on the very rare occasions I'm using for exercise. No issues at all with the HR strap (Garmin HRM-Run) losing connection.
Quote Reply