Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Explain this to me ...Look unveils new Keo Blade Ceramic Carbon pedal
Quote | Reply
Ceramic bearings have been introduced to the existing versions of the pedals, reducing friction by 18 percent,

What friction? When I rotate it to clip in ? Each pedal stroke ? 18% if a small number is a small number.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain this to me ...Look unveils new Keo Blade Ceramic Carbon pedal [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wondered about that - everybody is looking to reduce friction where is occurs (chain, OSPW, Ceramic Bearings, Lube, etc), but there never seemed to be much interest in Pedal friction.

The official grease you get from Speedplay in their Grease gut for their aero pedals is seriously labeled "Marine Grease"... I guess you lose much more due to friction in those pedals than you gain from aero

I got no clue how many watts you could save, but however much it is, you can double that because you have 2 Pedals
Quote Reply
Re: Explain this to me ...Look unveils new Keo Blade Ceramic Carbon pedal [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally wouldn't buy a set. No doubt they will add $100 above a normal set of pedals? I no longer use ceramic bottom bracket bearings and now use angular contact bearings as the load/forces put on them with each pedal stroke is unlike a wheel, derailleur or the like and the rate I had to change out my ceramic bottom brackets was excessive/expensive as any friction gains were definitely gone in a short time span. Ceramic balls are harder than the steel races so every time excessive lateral forces are put on the bearing it damages the race. For minimal gains I want bearings that I don't have to stress about changing or maintaining excessively. Besides 18% of nothing isn't very much. I think you will find a forum on this subject already...

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Does_all_this_Obsession_with_Tech_Gains_REALLY_Make_a_Difference%3F__P6888195/?page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Re: Explain this to me ...Look unveils new Keo Blade Ceramic Carbon pedal [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look says 2W@100rpm, so maybe 1W each leg give or take

The name is great for triathletes. Ceramic Carbon Blade sounds a bit like Eagle Shark Laser Ninja... Wait until they release a titanium version. "why buy ordinary pedals, when you can buy Titanium Ceramic Carbon Turbo Blades!?" 😲😲🎉
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Mar 18, 19 2:21
Quote Reply
Re: Explain this to me ...Look unveils new Keo Blade Ceramic Carbon pedal [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A fool and his money are soon parted...
Quote Reply
Re: Explain this to me ...Look unveils new Keo Blade Ceramic Carbon pedal [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben6 wrote:
there never seemed to be much interest in Pedal friction.

there is, which is why a lot of people are on Speedplay, among other reasons

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Explain this to me ...Look unveils new Keo Blade Ceramic Carbon pedal [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Ok, the reason is probably different, friction on the Pedals is not so present in peoples minds as others, because third party solutions are much more difficult to implement than BB or OSPW

But can you elaborate on your comment on Speedplay? I just used it as a negative reference with their marine grease in their grease gun, and yet you use them as positive reference?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
years ago when Friction Facts tested pedals Speedplay were second to egg beaters or something like that... so it's not all about the grease.

Ben6 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Ok, the reason is probably different, friction on the Pedals is not so present in peoples minds as others, because third party solutions are much more difficult to implement than BB or OSPW

But can you elaborate on your comment on Speedplay? I just used it as a negative reference with their marine grease in their grease gun, and yet you use them as positive reference?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Time has been offering a ceramic option for years now.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain this to me ...Look unveils new Keo Blade Ceramic Carbon pedal [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Ben6 wrote:

most people ride speedplays because they are "easier on the knees" and because they are "easier to clip in and out of."

most people also do not properly service those speedplays.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain this to me ...Look unveils new Keo Blade Ceramic Carbon pedal [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
among other reasons

jkhayc wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Ben6 wrote:

most people ride speedplays because they are "easier on the knees" and because they are "easier to clip in and out of."

most people also do not properly service those speedplays.

Quote Reply