Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

“Virtual” Triathlon Race
Quote | Reply
https://www.playtri.com/...-the-irish-triathlon

You do a tri on your own and “certify” your results through various options and submit them to the race. For $49. Is this where we are heading? Marketing brilliance? Ridiculous? Discuss.
Quote Reply
Re: “Virtual” Triathlon Race [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the same idea as Seinfeld's "Real Peterman Tour", it's $49 for a t-shirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, did I miss the rest of March? Is it April 1st already??

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surely you've seen the virtual running club thing? http://www.virtualrunningclub.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might encourage a few people to try it out, realize that they can do it, and then sign up for non-virtual events in the future. It’s not likely to poach participants from the regular race, is it?

Is there a downside?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, this is where we are headed. Many people grow up with screens and cocooned safely indoors.

My preference would be for a shared location where you could rent the time needed to train/finish the triathlon distance of your choice.

This way relies on honesty. The old way relies on honesty.

This way is safer, cheaper and easier (because weather etc. is controlled).

Look at running where the IAAF is dropping the 5K and 10K races... Things change.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ashley Horner already has one of these for her "followers". Lots of people apparently want to be like Ashley ... or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All Screaming Tortise Athletic Club events are virtual AND FREE because we/I don't provide shirts, medals or swag of any sort ... just a custom bib, for scrap booking porpoises

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a little indoor triathlon on my vasa, trainer and treadmill. It was more fun than just running on the treadmill or using the vasa. I’ll probably do it again.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: “Virtual” Triathlon Race [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was that just a training session? I do similar sessions all the time but paying $50 for it...????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is a houston based running "series" that have virtual options. myself and the wife have participated in the virtual races in order to get our shiny little medal to go along with the medals we were able to get at the actual race event. we both wanted the full set. i think its a great idea for those that want to participate and cant make the real events, but the real events are, of course, much more fun and "valid" i guess you could say.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah good point.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen these before... I've seen $20 entry fees for virtual running races (you get a t-shirt and a few goodies, and then a medal in the mail later if you finish. I"ve seen the virtual tri as well, but if I recall the one I saw was free (it was organized by an RD for a few races who did it as a promo), and finishers got a discount code for the actual race months later (and a few people won free entries). To me that angle makes sense.... the $50 entry fee, hard no from me...
Quote Reply
Re: “Virtual” Triathlon Race [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the virtual running races zwift-like where you race competitors on a screen or just going out for the appropriate run distance and then certifying/submitting the data to the race??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, you have a window within which to complete the "race" and you send in your strava file as "proof"... I've never done one, but know folks who have (I don't care about the medal or shirt, so why would I pay someone to not close roads, nor provide feed stations, nor provide chip timing...?)
Quote Reply
Re: “Virtual” Triathlon Race [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
(I don't care about the medal or shirt, so why would I pay someone to not close roads, nor provide feed stations, nor provide chip timing...?)

I’m with you here.... for me personally, the biggest reason to pay for a race is the human interaction/competition which is obviously lacking in a virtual race. I’m even fine with the indoor tri-not the best, but a good way to practice a race at a lower cost and easier logistics. But I don’t get why someone would pay a fee for a virtual race. I can “race” myself for free every day and essentially do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might have held what was the first ever "virtual triathlon" around 2005 inside the video game Second Life. Some triathlete friends and I posted the event, then swam out to a buoy and back, then biked a few miles on a road, then ran a short distance to finish. We thought we were doing pretty good and our avatars looked pretty much like ourselves. But then we got smoked at the end by what I can only describe as some kind of fairy-dragon bisexual centaur thing. We asked if he/she/it had ever done a triathlon before and it said, "What's a triathlon?" and danced off over the hillsides never to be seen again. Not kidding.
Quote Reply