Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Women's Olympic marathon times???
Quote | Reply
Women's Olympic marathon times now drop to 2:29 for qualifying? WTF this is going to leave some countries out when there best runner is a 2:40 PR. And why bother having a qualifying race in Atlanta...Humid slow course.
This was a step decision!

Were does this leave Gwen????
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic marathon times??? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like she has to place top 3 AND run the standard time. Unless she runs the standard in a prior event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now she’s on the outside looking in. She was before the announcement too. Based on her results thus far she’s nowhere close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marathoners are also considered to have standard if they finish top 10 finishers in the marathon at the 2019 World Championships, top-5 at IAAF Gold Label Marathons and top-10 at Abbott World Marathon Majors held during the qualification period.

Athletes from countries other than the US can also qualify by virtue of their World Ranking. The IAAF's stated goal is to have 50% of qualifiers through time standards and the other 50% via descending order World Rankings. USATF has decided to stick with their "top 3 at Trials who has achieved the standard" policy, rather than send athletes invited via their World Ranking.

Still...not good for anyone who likes distance running.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic marathon times??? [nowhere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nowhere wrote:

Still...not good for anyone who likes distance running.

My light edit is it's terrible for those who like distance RACING. It seems like it creates incentives to focus on effectively doing a time trial in Berlin and then cruise the Olympic trial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was at the finish line for the marathon in rio and most of the finishers were not competing for the medals. however, i really enjoyed seeing all of the runners from various countries who were the top marathoners from their respective countries. the crowd did too and they got some of the biggest cheers. the race won't be the same without them.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic marathon times??? [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
i was at the finish line for the marathon in rio and most of the finishers were not competing for the medals. however, i really enjoyed seeing all of the runners from various countries who were the top marathoners from their respective countries. the crowd did too and they got some of the biggest cheers. the race won't be the same without them.

The summer olympics are perhaps trying to cut down on the number of athletes who are just there to "participate", this is the olympics after all not an all comers meet
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic marathon times??? [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hate to break it to you but most (as in more than 50%) of the athletes in the olympics are not there to compete but just attend. they have no shot at medaling. if you don't like how the marathon has been held in the past, then you really must hate who lines up in the 100m in track and field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
The summer olympics are perhaps trying to cut down on the number of athletes who are just there to "participate", this is the olympics after all not an all comers meet

Same reason why people say the NCAA championships swim meet is more competitive than the Olympic swim meet. No country limits on the NCAAs means the best are there no matter what.

That said, I like seeing lots of countries in the Olympics especially in the prelims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
mag900 wrote:

Actually, they've added some new sports but have capped the total number of athletes that can attend, so yeah, they've got to cut athletes out of some of the other sports. E.g., skateboarding and BMX park comes to the 2020 summer olympics. The IOC continues to gravitate to sports with the best TV viewership amongst young people and the marathon isn't it. Just follow the money. Another example; men's boxing weight divisions drop from 10 to 8 in 2020 so women's boxing can increase from 3 to 5. Same thing in kayaking - 3 men's sports eliminated to make room for 3 women's. That's a shift towards equality while holding numbers in those sports constant. The olympics has become very expensive to host, so the IOC cannot/will not increase the size of the athlete village.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, posted about that here, as someone mentioned there are placing opportunities at many races for her. The IAAF gold label contains many obscure ones like this past weekend's Seoul marathon and something in Lisbon, haven't looked to see who qualifies from there but I can bet it ain't many big names. Gwen could easily hit the placing at one of those if she travels.

There is some speculation that race directors at Chicago, NYC etc. may limit the amount of elite non-US participants in order to allow US athletes to place in the top ten, I am not sure if there is any kind of rule against that or if it really is their complete discretion but that would also hurt professional marathoning as a whole.

At any rate, I don't believe Gwen will need to hit the standard but she will certainly try, or she will just get a placing. For those interested, here are the IAAF Gold Label races where a top 5 works. I am assuming the 10ks are allowable but not sure. Haven't read the full IAAF release on it. (couple on these are WMM which means top 10 for those)

MEETING NAMEVENUECOUNTRYDATEChongqing International MarathonChongqingCHN31 MAR 2019Sportisimo Prague Half MarathonPrahaCZE06 APR 2019Vodafone Istanbul Half MarathonIstanbulTUR07 APR 2019NN Marathon RotterdamRotterdamNED07 APR 2019Vienna City MarathonViennaAUT07 APR 2019Schneider Electric Marathon de ParisParisFRA14 APR 2019B.A.A. Boston MarathonBoston, MAUSA15 APR 2019Yellow River Estuary International MarathonDongyingCHN20 APR 2019Yangzhou Jianzhen International Half MarathonYangzhouCHN21 APR 2019Rock 'n' Roll Madrid MaratonMadridESP27 APR 2019Gifu Seiryu Half MarathonGifuJPN28 APR 2019Virgin Money London MarathonLondonGBR28 APR 2019Volkswagen Prague MarathonPrahaCZE05 MAY 2019Tata Consultancy Services World 10K BengaluruBengaluruIND19 MAY 2019Lattelecom Riga MarathonRigaLAT19 MAY 2019Ottawa 10KOttawa, CANCAN25 MAY 2019Scotiabank Ottawa MarathonOttawa, CANCAN26 MAY 2019Mattoni Ceské Budejovice Half MarathonCeské BudejoviceCZE01 JUN 2019"Bank of Lanzhou Cup" - Lanzhou International MarathonLanzhouCHN02 JUN 2019Mattoni Olomouc Half MarathonOlomoucCZE15 JUN 2019Gold Coast MarathonGold CoastAUS07 JUL 2019Media Maratón de BogotáBogotáCOL28 JUL 2019Maratón Ciudad de MéxicoMexico CityMEX25 AUG 2019

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Olympic marathon times??? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update from USATF side. You must hit standard on IAAF certified course (no downhill point to point). So Boston and CIM is out. Gwen hit former A standard but she is out, as Olympic trials placing doesn't matter... Can still shoot for time goal there. Can someone ping Gwen on her thoughts about this?
Quote Reply