Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

French Tri Federation naked cash grab - exploiting foreign 70.3 Worlds Qualifiers
Quote | Reply
I just got an email informing me that if I do not hold a tri license from France, UK, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal or the Netherlands, I will need to purchase a one day French licence from FFTri. The link in the email takes me to a page specifically for a license for the men's race at 70.3 Worlds where I am charged 40 euro, or $45 US for the one day license. That is almost as much as an annual USAT license ($50)!!

I've raced in Norway, Austria, New Zealand and the US and I've never needed an additional license to my USAT one.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: French Tri Federation naked cash grab - exploiting foreign 70.3 Worlds Qualifiers [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of countries require a one-day license, but it's usually around $10-15 (what USAT charges). $45 is pretty hefty!

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: French Tri Federation naked cash grab - exploiting foreign 70.3 Worlds Qualifiers [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most countries accept ITU member licenses though... at least the countries I've raced in. Does the US require foreign competitors who hold ITU licenses to buy a one-day US license? If so that's BS!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: French Tri Federation naked cash grab - exploiting foreign 70.3 Worlds Qualifiers [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure actually. I have never held an ITU license, just know that I have had to pay a one-day license to race (even once had to pay it at packet pick up because I had forgotten my USAT card and didn't have cell access to get the number!).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, I was pretty pissed when I saw that too. It would have been nice to know this before we signed up. I also have to take the time and expense to make an appointment with my doctor to sign a stupid certificate stating that I am "fit to compete in long-distance triathlon". Does qualifying for the 70.3 WC not make this point evident?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: French Tri Federation naked cash grab - exploiting foreign 70.3 Worlds Qualifiers [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By ITU license I mean a license from an ITU member federation, so a USAT license would count.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. That didn't seem to count. And as a Canadian racing in the US, you must have a USAT license, annual or one-day (it's enforced in the race registration). But at the least the cost is low for both.

Hope you have a good race so it'll all be worth it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40€ is now the standard price for one day licence in France.

They move it up to push french peoples to take FFTRI licences, instead of one day licence. Consequence is that it is high price also for you.

Reason is that in France many peoples do not buy FFTri licence.
Because many clubs are full (Paris region, ...) and expensive (300€) as price include many items, potentially useless (for me, and apparently not alone in this case).

Doing 2x IM70.3 in 2019, still better not to take licence and pay 2x40€.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
France is World Champion for taxes !

4 x Deca-ironman
Quote Reply
Re: French Tri Federation naked cash grab - exploiting foreign 70.3 Worlds Qualifiers [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
having to have a doctor sign off is fairly standard. I remember having to have it for a trail race in France back in '07 and for a 10k in Italy last year

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I've raced in Norway, Austria, New Zealand and the US and I've never needed an additional license to my USAT one.

Yep, it's a cash grab, and a steep one at that! But we had to pay for a one day license in the South Africa 70.3 WC. And even apart from the WC, I've had to pay one day extortion fees at St Croix 70.3 and IM Cozumel. It's all part of the game. Vent now and then go have a great time at Nice.
Quote Reply
Re: French Tri Federation naked cash grab - exploiting foreign 70.3 Worlds Qualifiers [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Vent now and then go have a great time at Nice.

Good advice.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw "naked cash grab" and clicked out of habit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny but that is a cash grab on top of a cash grab. Wtc races are a big one in the first place. I've race many half distance and full distance and never felt they were offering a better experience than other races twice less expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I just got an email informing me that if I do not hold a tri license from France, UK, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal or the Netherlands, I will need to purchase a one day French licence from FFTri. The link in the email takes me to a page specifically for a license for the men's race at 70.3 Worlds where I am charged 40 euro, or $45 US for the one day license. That is almost as much as an annual USAT license ($50)!!

I am a member of Triathlon Australia, non USAT members have to pay an additional license to race Kona. With fees it comes to $16. Cheaper than 40 euro, however the principal of having to pay is there.
Quote Reply
Re: French Tri Federation naked cash grab - exploiting foreign 70.3 Worlds Qualifiers [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If EU federations are going to extend the courtesy of waived fees for each other, while charging others obscene amounts, USAT should follow with reciprocity.

Rocky — bump EU athlete one-day fees to $40. Then those athletes can bitch to their own federations and have them rethink all of this for the next time.
Quote Reply
Re: French Tri Federation naked cash grab - exploiting foreign 70.3 Worlds Qualifiers [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm.....a metaphor for tarriffs?

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear they're gonna charge an additional 25 euro for parking your bike in transition. And don't forget to tip your bike handler!
Quote Reply
Re: French Tri Federation naked cash grab - exploiting foreign 70.3 Worlds Qualifiers [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I hear they're gonna charge an additional 25 euro for parking your bike in transition. And don't forget to tip your bike handler!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

Are they charging for valet service at T2?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

I've had to get a one day license each time I've raced out of the country. Shit, Canada has a different federation for each province.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply