Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
Will look at getting tririg front brakes. Back brakes integrated.

Thanks!
Our brakes will work front and rear on the PRSix.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has disc cover been said?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
What can I add to this? Without crazy cost.

2018 QR PRSix
Mechanical Ultegra
Profile aeria
Enve 6.8 front clincher (GP5000)
HED 90mm rear clincher (GP5000)
PowerTap P1 pedals (not prepared to toss them!)

Bioracer trisuit
S-Works TT aero helmet
Mavic Helium shoes

Bike set up been done by an expert I trust.

Out of curiosity, are the Mavic Helium shoes really a cheap speed upgrade? Was there some aero data on these shoes, seem pretty big and bulky too me.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just listing what I currently have, and asking what I could add.

I guess I should toss the Mavics!?!
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I've read is that most of the wattage savings are due to a narrower spindle/q-factor rather than the intrinsic aero shape of the pedals and cleats.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
What I've read is that most of the wattage savings are due to a narrower spindle/q-factor rather than the intrinsic aero shape of the pedals and cleats.

Do you have a source for that? As I thought q-factors were going to be the same across all pedals as fitters will add spacers to fit to a certain q factor based on bio-mechanics.
Last edited by: Cajer: Mar 14, 19 22:42
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Something that's costing you ~10 watts of additional drag!
Curious about your comments related to Speedplay & P1 pedals... Is the 10W cost unique to the P1, or are all pedals that bad relative to the Speedplay pedals.

I know that the Speedplays are minimalist and probably have almost no aero footprint. But, most clip-in pedals (including the V3 and Assioma) are way smaller than the P1.

I typically see 3-5 watts compared to standard Look and Shimano, and 10 watts from P1's to to Aero Zero.

Within the month I'll be testing pedals more, and I'm interested to see what the numbers are for Speedplay-specific shoes and the Aero Zero. Lower stack, so should be a bit faster.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Something that's costing you ~10 watts of additional drag!

Curious about your comments related to Speedplay & P1 pedals... Is the 10W cost unique to the P1, or are all pedals that bad relative to the Speedplay pedals.

I know that the Speedplays are minimalist and probably have almost no aero footprint. But, most clip-in pedals (including the V3 and Assioma) are way smaller than the P1.

I typically see 3-5 watts compared to standard Look and Shimano, and 10 watts from P1's to to Aero Zero.

Within the month I'll be testing pedals more, and I'm interested to see what the numbers are for Speedplay-specific shoes and the Aero Zero. Lower stack, so should be a bit faster.

If those results are going to be publicized, I'll wait for those before switching shoes/pedals. I was thinking a pair of Bont Helix's with Speedplay Aero Zero's unless something tests consistently faster without being exotic.

Maybe I'll make my way down for a track test. The fit you did on me 2 years ago was great!
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full iron and half iron distance. More half.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:

Will look at getting tririg front brakes. Back brakes integrated.

Thanks!

Our brakes will work front and rear on the PRSix.

Will the brake then be mounted in the conventional place I assume?
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Very cool, thanks for the reply. Looking forward to reading about your discoveries. It never occurred to me that pedals had that much of an impact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Very cool, thanks for the reply. Looking forward to reading about your discoveries. It never occurred to me that pedals had that much of an impact.

This has been taking up too much brain space for me as I've been trying to get all the "free speed" I can find..

Right now I've got PowerTap P1 pedals as my PM, which I worry has an aero penalty, but I also have a Vision Metron aero crank which makes me not want to swap out for a crank based PM.. I'd go hub, but I can't find a good carbon disc hub based PM.

In the end I reeeally want to go Speedplay Aero Zero but I can't figure out the best combo.

Any Vision Metron users out there know if a L side only crank arm PM would work in this case?

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't do tri, but if I did, I'd make sure at least once in a while I setup a mock T1 and T2 and use a stopwatch and try out a lot of different things. Or, if it's pretty good already, do it enough that it becomes second nature. Or, intentionally toss in a wrench into your practice to be crafty and able to adapt. Like a broken speed lace or a bike problem.

Given folks blow $3000 on wheels as an improvement I'd really really really hope triathletes are at least practicing the transitions at home a LOT. It's part of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
I'd go hub, but I can't find a good carbon disc hub based PM.

A G3 built into a deep wheel, and add a cover.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I don't do tri, but if I did, I'd make sure at least once in a while I setup a mock T1 and T2 and use a stopwatch and try out a lot of different things. Or, if it's pretty good already, do it enough that it becomes second nature. Or, intentionally toss in a wrench into your practice to be crafty and able to adapt. Like a broken speed lace or a bike problem.

Given folks blow $3000 on wheels as an improvement I'd really really really hope triathletes are at least practicing the transitions at home a LOT. It's part of the race.

Its really not that hard---except the whole flying mount thing (which I don't do). I spent about an hour before my first tri working it out. Being quick in T1/T2 is just about keeping it simple. I usually spend about 30 minutes the day before a race refreshing my brain. But, if you keep it simple there isn't really much to do, or much to go wrong.

What seems to make more difference is RUNNING to T1. Soooo many people walk. With swim-exit to T1 often being 1/2 mile...walking adds a LOT of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. More often than not, I'll pass 3-4 people just in the run to T1. Most people are delirious when they get out of the water after swimming hard, so running takes quite a bit of effort.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
BTS almost always adds aero.

I'm planning on taking my rear carrier off for the next few months (tri-rig beta), but I've been wondering if leaving it on would be faster.

Sticking an x-lab aero pouch 300 on it (possibly upside down) certainly *looks* like it might help fill the void behind me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

This has been taking up too much brain space for me as I've been trying to get all the "free speed" I can find..

Right now I've got PowerTap P1 pedals as my PM, which I worry has an aero penalty, but I also have a Vision Metron aero crank which makes me not want to swap out for a crank based PM.. I'd go hub, but I can't find a good carbon disc hub based PM.

In the end I reeeally want to go Speedplay Aero Zero but I can't figure out the best combo.

Any Vision Metron users out there know if a L side only crank arm PM would work in this case?

AeroCoach do a PowerTap Aeox disc.

The P1 pedals defintely slowing you down, and if you go to Speedplay Aero Zeros you'll pick up quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By all means keep them if you have them. I don't like buckles and strap in general, they don't provide a clean aerodynamic shape and are surely slowing you down but then again they are a sunk cost already. However, shoes do wear out, and if you end up getting a new pair I would definitely check out the Giro Empire series of shoes. I took a pair to the wind tunnel many moons ago and they were fast. Test results for the Giro Empire SLX can be found here.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Am I all out of 'cheap' speed upgrades? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

AeroCoach do a PowerTap Aeox disc.

The P1 pedals defintely slowing you down, and if you go to Speedplay Aero Zeros you'll pick up quite a bit.

This looks awesome! Just reached out to them. I'm not too familiar with track wheel differences, if any, so there's no reason this wouldn't work on a tri-bike right? And I'm not yet a tubular convert but I guess this could push me..

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The track wheel won't work for you unless you want to run fixed, but they've built a few PowerTap road versions of the Aeox, so they should be able to do one for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
By all means keep them if you have them. I don't like buckles and strap in general, they don't provide a clean aerodynamic shape and are surely slowing you down but then again they are a sunk cost already. However, shoes do wear out, and if you end up getting a new pair I would definitely check out the Giro Empire series of shoes. I took a pair to the wind tunnel many moons ago and they were fast. Test results for the Giro Empire SLX can be found here.

Will do thanks TG
Quote Reply

Prev Next