Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman?
Quote | Reply
At least he's wearing the 2014 Kona shirt in this photo

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/...nd-sacramento-roots/

His name's not in the '14 results. I wonder if he raced under another name.

http://www.desotosport.com
http://www.ceepo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [sullytriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sullytriman wrote:
At least he's wearing the 2014 Kona shirt in this photo

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/...nd-sacramento-roots/

His name's not in the '14 results. I wonder if he raced under another name.

A quick google search of his name brings up the fact that his real first name is "William" and his middle name is Rick. Alas that also doesn't help in the search results as that name also doesn't appear in the 2014 Kona list
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it says VOLUNTEER on the back? Just a thought

But, yeah, double letters

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [sullytriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He seems like the kind of guy you should drug test. I can’t imagine him thinking twice about cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Maybe it says VOLUNTEER on the back? Just a thought

Doesn't look like an official volunteer shirt from that year - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOBI3uqU5U and is certainly too plain for a finisher's shirt.

Not cool to see the guy in a Kona IM shirt, but I'm guessing he's not the first person to be accused of a felony that has worn such a shirt.

Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 14, 19 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Aunt Becky paid half a million bucks to get her kid into college, aging clinics are handing out T flyers at races, Instafamous people shill absolute crap, but people have a hard time wrapping their heads around rampant age group doping.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
is certainly too plain for a finisher's shirt.

I can confirm that that is not the 2014 finisher's shirt, at least not the one I received. Mine is a dark blue tech-type shirt. I do recall seeing shirts that color in the store thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was spotted in different versions of a Ironman World Champs 2014 shirt
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its not a finisher or volunteer shirt, thats the one anyone can buy from the store that has all the participants name on the back. I have the same one (though actually did the race in 2014).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He needs to generate all that ill gotten money to pay for Ironman...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Stafford Brown [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And he's wearing a Forerunner 920. People who wear those casually are begging to be identified as a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll say this - he looks like a triathlete. Maybe he was researching his next line of work, hooking these parents up with bogus ironman finishes! All it takes is getting hold of the right swag, some photoshopping skills and paying someone off who could hack into the WTC database to "generate" some results. I'd shoot for the world championships, maybe from 2014 or so? :)

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Mar 15, 19 0:15
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [Stafford Brown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stafford Brown wrote:
I work in Newport Beach, lots of locals on the charged list.

Many super wealthy here and never ceases to blow my mind how these people make their millions.

Reading the OC register for years someones always getting arrested for tax fraud, medical billing fraud, embezzlement, 1 man collecting 3 government salaries simultaneously etc from this part of the county.

Yes, we all know this goes on but whats mind blowing is the scale that it goes on.

What I can't wrap my head around is why people felt the need to cheat and use a middle man to bribe their kids into school? Direct donations are just as efficient, tax deductible, and completely legal. I went to the University of Miami and there was never any question there were three admissions pathways: athletics, academics and donations.

As a side note I worked as an RA in the dorms with and got an insight into the lives and behaviours of my residence. The kids there who got in based on their parents money were by far the hardest to deal with. I had a difficult situation with a freshman football 'star' who didn't meet the hype and ended up transferring. We also had a star basketball player get kicked off the team for behavioural reasons come and steal laptops from a number of rooms in the building. Both individuals were immature and arrogant but when push came to shove they took responsibility for their actions and accepted the penalties. When it came to addressing some serious drug issues and very disruptive behaviour issues with a group of 'legacy students' it was next level BS. Lawyers were called, pretty much everyone working in the building was removed from direct association with the case and at no point did any of the offenders admit to doing anything wrong. The attitude was 'we pay you to work so f*** off peasant.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares?

Seriously, I don't understand how this is a topic of conversation.
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [Stafford Brown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is America. It's systemic. We are not who we thought we were...

Stafford Brown wrote:
I work in Newport Beach, lots of locals on the charged list.

Many super wealthy here and never ceases to blow my mind how these people make their millions.

Reading the OC register for years someones always getting arrested for tax fraud, medical billing fraud, embezzlement, 1 man collecting 3 government salaries simultaneously etc from this part of the county.

Yes, we all know this goes on but whats mind blowing is the scale that it goes on.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you don't understand? This is *the* number one thing wrong with America right now.

Ai_1 wrote:
Who cares?

Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to need some clarification.
What is
ericMPro wrote:
...*the* number one thing wrong with America right now.
?

Do you mean:
  1. the fact I don't understand the why we care about this guy's interest in triathlon?
  2. the fact someone involved in a scandal has some tenuous association with triathlon?
  3. this specific college admissions scandal itself?
  4. corruption in general?
  5. something else

If you mean numbers 1 or 2, you're delusional.
If you mean 3, I think you're blowing this specific incident out of all proportion
If you mean 4, I somewhat agree with you

However, only 1 and 2 are related to the topic of this thread which is the topic I questioned. I never said the scandal itself was not a legitimate topic of conversation.
Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
number four of course. And you're right, this is probably LR material, since he actually didn't do an Ironman, probably.

But I've personally witnessed course cutting, and testosterone taking, and Kona slot cheating, so for me it is all of a topic and relevant.

Ai_1 wrote:
I'm going to need some clarification.
What is
ericMPro wrote:
...*the* number one thing wrong with America right now.
?

Do you mean:
  1. the fact I don't understand the why we care about this guy's interest in triathlon?
  2. the fact someone involved in a scandal has some tenuous association with triathlon?
  3. this specific college admissions scandal itself?
  4. corruption in general?
  5. something else

If you mean numbers 1 or 2, you're delusional.
If you mean 3, I think you're blowing this specific incident out of all proportion
If you mean 4, I somewhat agree with you

However, only 1 and 2 are related to the topic of this thread which is the topic I questioned. I never said the scandal itself was not a legitimate topic of conversation.

Quote Reply
Re: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
number four of course. And you're right, this is probably LR material, since he actually didn't do an Ironman, probably.....
Okay, so my original post was simply querying why anyone would care if the guy may, or may not, have done an Ironman. I wasn't commenting on which forum the thread should be posted to or saying anything about the scandal itself. My query couldn't be simpler and I'm still wondering what the answer is.....

The title of the thread: Head of the college admissions scandal is an Ironman?

My query: Why would anyone here care if he is an Ironman?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My query: Why would anyone here care if he is an Ironman?[/quote]

If he were a Kona finisher, I think the next logical question would be whether he gained entry legitimately.

http://www.desotosport.com
http://www.ceepo.com
Last edited by: sullytriman: Mar 15, 19 6:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
number four of course. And you're right, this is probably LR material, since he actually didn't do an Ironman, probably.....

Okay, so my original post was simply querying why anyone would care if the guy may, or may not, have done an Ironman. I wasn't commenting on which forum the thread should be posted to or saying anything about the scandal itself. My query couldn't be simpler and I'm still wondering what the answer is.....

My query: Why would anyone here care if he is an Ironman?

Do you care that both U.S. senators from Arizona are Kona finishers? If you don't care, than you likely don't care whether this guy is or isn't a Kona Ironman finisher. If you choose to separate one's involvement with triathlon from the rest of the person's life, OK, but I am one who is interested in why Singer is wearing a shirt from the 2014 IM in Kona.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 15, 19 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Who cares?

Ai_1 -

I think it's a valid topic of conversation because attending a good school and competing in an ironman are both (in my opinion) related to "overachieving" and the recognition (perceived or otherwise) that might come with it.

- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, the relevance is this:

A man, whose entire livelihood has been based on fabricating people's brand or accomplishments, chose to wear (to a televised interview?) a shirt that insinuates he has participated in the Ironman World Championships when, in fact, he did not.

Amazing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next