Ha, ha. Fear me ... not!
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Plews age group champion - the interview [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me neither
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Plews age group champion - the interview [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting story. I am curious to see more discussion on his low carb approach for endurance training/racing. He's had some great races, particularly 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Plews age group champion - the interview [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is he is a great athlete and the low carb has nothing to do with it. This just gives him a platform now to pitch his product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing achivement.
I will however never understand the lives of elite-AG'ers.
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Plews age group champion - the interview [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh wow, another guy who has more resources and trains better than most Pro triathletes, goes and wins the Kona AG.... how amazing!?

He coaches and does 80% of his training with Terrenzo Bozzone - a sup-8 IM winner in his own right - for pete's sake.

He should not be racing AG, but whatever... These guys need their own "Elite AG" category or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Plews age group champion - the interview [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
Oh wow, another guy who has more resources and trains better than most Pro triathletes, goes and wins the Kona AG.... how amazing!?

He coaches and does 80% of his training with Terrenzo Bozzone - a sup-8 IM winner in his own right - for pete's sake.

He should not be racing AG, but whatever... These guys need their own "Elite AG" category or something.

And.......here we again have the perfect argument as to why AG racing is a broken idea. Should be grouped by clusters of finishing times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Amazing achivement.

Is that the only group in the world you don't understand despite the fact they seem to be quite close to you as they swim bike run like yourself.

I assume you don't understand the motivation behind it. But I guess that says more about you then about those people .
At the end of the day what's wrong with a passion and being smart enough that his other jobs pay his bills the do what he enjoys.
Or in other words why should an athlete like him that would not get a money sponsor go pro? are you jealous he found a way that works for him. Or are you jealous that you don't have the talent work ethic and enjoyment to push your athletic limit like he does.
The guy looks like he is successfull at work, at sport and has a family.
Going pro would make him poorer and it seems despite his training he is doing quite well in his life, so I really don't quite understand what's your issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Plews age group champion - the interview [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Going pro would make him poorer and it seems despite his training he is doing quite well in his life, so I really don't quite understand what's your issue.

Why would it make him poorer? Isn’t it really just an difference in category?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
lassekk wrote:
Amazing achivement.

Is that the only group in the world you don't understand despite the fact they seem to be quite close to you as they swim bike run like yourself.

I assume you don't understand the motivation behind it. But I guess that says more about you then about those people .
At the end of the day what's wrong with a passion and being smart enough that his other jobs pay his bills the do what he enjoys.
Or in other words why should an athlete like him that would not get a money sponsor go pro? are you jealous he found a way that works for him. Or are you jealous that you don't have the talent work ethic and enjoyment to push your athletic limit like he does.

Wow my post really got misinterpreted. I fully understand the drive to test and push yourself, and i am fully aware i lack the talent, dedication and basically everything he has to accomplish something even close to. Neither am i at all arguing he should race the pro cat, that is entirely up to him.
The only thing i'm saying is i basically can not phantom how you are able to uphold such training regime while also having to work, family time and friends, that os all. So more amixture of being impressee he is able to, but also being fully aware it is not something for me.
Last edited by: lassekk: Mar 15, 19 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Plews age group champion - the interview [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
pk wrote:

Why would it make him poorer? Isn’t it really just an difference in category?

Did the poster I replied to not imply it's not fair he earns more money than most pros and he should train, Full time or become fat and slow?

yes the only thing that would change is that people would than complain why does somebody like him race as pro when he doesn't make a living from it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
pk wrote:
lassekk wrote:
Amazing achivement.

Wow my post really got misinterpreted. I fully understand the drive to test and push yourself, and i am fully aware i lack the talent, dedication and basically everything he has to accomplish something even close to. Neither am i at all arguing he should race the pro cat, that is entirely up to him.
The only thing i'm saying is i basically can not phantom how you are able to uphold such training regime while also having to work, family time and friends, that os all. So more amixture of being impressee he is able to, but also being fully aware it is not something for me.

Ups sorry I apologise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t really look at pro triathletes as defined by money, since about 22 ppl in sport can support themselves from the sport. I’ve always defined it as the front of race + being able to attempt to make it. But reality is not many can so I’ve scrapped this idea that pro is based on money making ability since 92% of pros can’t make it off racing/sponsors/etc.

But some think a pro is defined by ability to make it your “profession” and that’s understandable.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Plews age group champion - the interview [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I don’t really look at pro triathletes as defined by money, since about 22 ppl in sport can support themselves from the sport. I’ve always defined it as the front of race + being able to attempt to make it. But reality is not many can so I’ve scrapped this idea that pro is based on money making ability since 92% of pros can’t make it off racing/sponsors/etc.

But some think a pro is defined by ability to make it your “profession” and that’s understandable.

I look at athletes roughly
Worldclass sub 7.50 on fast reasonably accurately measured course and then add or deduce time for short long distance hills weather Condition.
or atop 10Kona
Tier 1 sub 8
Sub 8.10 tier 2 those 3 are pros to me
Till 8.30 tier 3 amazing stuff
Sub 9 tier 4 very good
Sub9.30 tier 5 the start of performance ( you could argue that performance is sub 9 or 9.15.
Sub 10h 10 tier 6 good and the start of a serious level. Most people have to work hard to get there.
Sub 11.20 solid
Sub12.30 sporty
12.30 plus finisher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing Story, awesome guy. Fantastic piece.

Except for the spelling and grammar. Assuming this was done in a 3rd language and translated. Not sure why we've got to bring this up - it was just difficult to read.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

I look at athletes roughly
Worldclass sub 7.50 on fast reasonably accurately measured course and then add or deduce time for short long distance hills weather Condition.
or atop 10Kona
Tier 1 sub 8
Sub 8.10 tier 2 those 3 are pros to me
Till 8.30 tier 3 amazing stuff
Sub 9 tier 4 very good
Sub9.30 tier 5 the start of performance ( you could argue that performance is sub 9 or 9.15.
Sub 10h 10 tier 6 good and the start of a serious level. Most people have to work hard to get there.
Sub 11.20 solid
Sub12.30 sporty
12.30 plus finisher

Tough standards you have!

I looked up how the USAT score for a 9:40 at Kona 2018, and it was a 103 score. Given that All-American USAT is a 90, I'd say 'start of performance' at USAT103 is a pretty tough standard!
Quote Reply
Re: Dan Plews age group champion - the interview [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
Interesting story. I am curious to see more discussion on his low carb approach for endurance training/racing. He's had some great races, particularly 2018.
I would think the average training hours of 21 week is the most important factor. His understanding of physiology, training and his high level as a youth are also factors. He was at a decent level as a youth/junior too.
Quote Reply