Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch
Quote | Reply
Garmin has a new lineup of premium watches including one for athletes. $1500

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/633625

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/marq/

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/marq/collection/athlete

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 13, 19 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like they're replacing the Chronos with a whole line.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, they are insane. One of those models is $2,500.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are aimed at athletes with a lot of money. Nice to look at and performance is pretty good...apparently. I like the idea of 28h GPS. That alone should satisfy a lot of people. Given the new GPS chipset is economical on power, I would expect that GPS performance to trickle down as newer watches are released.

Looking forward to reading feedback about these as people get hold of them.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect that Garmin has done their homework with their customer base, and are recognizing that there's a plenty big market for their upscale $500+ watches.

I also suspect that this is more of an 'aspirational model' of watch, which is clearly not meant to be sold to the masses in large numbers, but to anchor their image of hi-end quality and performance at a higher set point, by which they will be able to drag up the price point of the rest of their models which sell in the $150-500 range.

Seems like a reasonable approach to me, as they are already getting lots of competition in the midrange area even with upstarts like Coros, and they will likely get beaten completely in the near future in the <$100 budget pricepoint. Luxury items can withstand the onslaught of cheap Chinese electronics.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
They are aimed at athletes with a lot of money. Nice to look at and performance is pretty good...apparently. I like the idea of 28h GPS. That alone should satisfy a lot of people. Given the new GPS chipset is economical on power, I would expect that GPS performance to trickle down as newer watches are released.

Looking forward to reading feedback about these as people get hold of them.

garmin 935 is 24h gps for 1/3 of the price. I get if people have a lot of money and want a better looking everyday watch but for an athlete I don't see it as any better than the 935 unless one is focused on how it looks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew the ball went outta park a while ago but didn’t realize how far.jfc

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
garmin 935 is 24h gps for 1/3 of the price. I get if people have a lot of money and want a better looking everyday watch but for an athlete I don't see it as any better than the 935 unless one is focused on how it looks.

Does this thing have any benefits relative to the 935 or Fenix? (other than it looks nice).

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None of those products are meant for anyone on this forum. It is the same as people here critiquing the value of their golf or avionics products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, maybe this is a good business model for Garmin, but when my $1000 V3s are replaced 3x and my FR920xt is crapping out its altimeter AGAIN, it's hard to align my next purchase with the Garmin approach to resource allocation. When my sons are Hollywood stars (hah) I'll be happy to wear the MARQ they deliver as a gift. But I ain't buying one. Period.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
None of those products are meant for anyone on this forum. It is the same as people here critiquing the value of their golf or avionics products.
I prefer the 6 pack over G1000. It is too easy to get fixated on the G1000 screens, for one. It is too easy to find oneself chasing the altitude and airspeed. Finally there's something fucky going on with vertical airspeed on the G1000. It is lagging? Don't know, but it is far easier to fly with the old analog vertical airspeed.

Anyway just because it is newer and expensive doesn't mean it is better. Just like these watches.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
mickison wrote:

Does this thing have any benefits relative to the 935 or Fenix? (other than it looks nice).
It weighs more than the fenix 5 but has 41,000 pre-loaded golf courses.

Also provides real-time VO2Max display on the bezel so you can observe how quickly it changes as you get older...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
LOL, they are insane. One of those models is $2,500.

Agreed.

I think even dentist will gawp at that price.

Does it come with all updates or will uses be getting weekly like the Fenix 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I suspect that Garmin has done their homework with their customer base, and are recognizing that there's a plenty big market for their upscale $500+ watches.

I also suspect that this is more of an 'aspirational model' of watch, which is clearly not meant to be sold to the masses in large numbers, but to anchor their image of hi-end quality and performance at a higher set point, by which they will be able to drag up the price point of the rest of their models which sell in the $150-500 range.

Seems like a reasonable approach to me, as they are already getting lots of competition in the midrange area even with upstarts like Coros, and they will likely get beaten completely in the near future in the <$100 budget pricepoint. Luxury items can withstand the onslaught of cheap Chinese electronics.

Watches in that price point are more jewelry than watch and have intricate mechanical movement. I don't see any of that with these watches. Likewise, many expensive watches retain their value, so while they are expensive, they are also investments. Garmin watches drop in value rather quickly. I'd almost consider them "disposables".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Watches in that price point are more jewelry than watch and have intricate mechanical movement. I don't see any of that with these watches. Likewise, many expensive watches retain their value, so while they are expensive, they are also investments. Garmin watches drop in value rather quickly. I'd almost consider them "disposables".

I have a Rolex at home. I never wear it for day to day (my phone keeps better time, plus its heavy), but it gets worn for weddings and funerals because it looks nice. I've had it for over 25 years, and it still works flawlessly.

What are the chances that a Garmin watch will work perfectly after 25 years?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different kind of aspirational.

It's not trying to be Rolex or a timeless watch or jewelry.

It's more about showing consumers a hi end product at a barely realistic price point that will make their other watches seem almost reasonable in comparison despite a $500+ price point.

Lots of brands do this aspirational thing without being Rolex , with ridiculously priced hi end items that aren't meant to sell on their own.

Although I'll bet that if Garmin could pull off a $20k price point realistically like Rolex does, they would.beore than happy to oblige!
Last edited by: lightheir: Mar 14, 19 6:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still rocking the 920xt with 2 scratches. When you guys are ready to upgrade, let me know I'll take your old watch off your hands.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
78.325%...

I have no interest in this or a Rolex but I can certainly understand there’s a market for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I'm still rocking the 920xt with 2 scratches. When you guys are ready to upgrade, let me know I'll take your old watch off your hands.

I'm still rocking the 910xt, also with 2 scratches. When you are ready to get rid of the 920, PM me.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deal!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

I prefer the 6 pack over G1000. It is too easy to get fixated on the G1000 screens, for one. It is too easy to find oneself chasing the altitude and airspeed. Finally there's something fucky going on with vertical airspeed on the G1000. It is lagging? Don't know, but it is far easier to fly with the old analog vertical airspeed.

Anyway just because it is newer and expensive doesn't mean it is better. Just like these watches.

G1000 is a 15+ year old product. By avionics standards, dinosaur. VS is byproduct of thrust and pitch setting so no need to chase it around. VS is not a primary instrument. We have always joked around that placing a 6 pack on EFIS would be the way to go. Nobody is taking us up on it, we get laughed at.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mcmetal wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I have a Rolex at home. I never wear it for day to day (my phone keeps better time, plus its heavy), but it gets worn for weddings and funerals because it looks nice. I've had it for over 25 years, and it still works flawlessly.

What are the chances that a Garmin watch will work perfectly after 25 years?

I don't think this is supposed to be a Rolex replacement. I also don't view this as a great solution to a training/racing watch replacement due to its weight. I think the people who are likely to buy this will wear this day to day during business hours and maybe some light training, still flash their Rolex during really fancy events, but use their 935 (or whatever) for full blown training and racing. And if this watch becomes outdated in 2 years...they'll go buy the next great thing and give this to their nephew. We're talking about people with large amounts of disposable income, and are not making purchases based on practicality.

For Garmin...it helps expand their image and brand loyalty. People with lots of money also have yachts and shit...and that's where Garmin can really make some profits.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
TriathlonJoe wrote:

I'm still rocking the 910xt, also with 2 scratches. When you are ready to get rid of the 920, PM me.

I'm still rocking the Forerunner 201. When you are ready to get rid of the 910xt , let me know

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me my fenix 3 has already too many functions in the sense that I use maybe only 5% of them.
So the vast amount of functions of the MARQ do not impress me at all.
The 24 hours GPS is interesting, although not a reason to change because my fenix 3 holds an ironman too.

What is an interesting question to me though is how the visibility of the display is.
That was a big disappointment with my fenix 3 after I bought it: you can hardly see what‘‘s on it unless
you hold it in the right angle to the light: I do e.g. not use the analogue display types for this reason, and have the biggest
letterfont with the digital display type.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin MARQ Athlete Watch [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please lets not even Compare Rolex and Garmin! I have had a few Rolex watches over the last 12 years and I have either made or broken even on every single one, my old Garmin are basically give aways or take a blood bath from what I paid for them.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply

Prev Next