Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? March 11 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goal for the week is to do stuff that makes me faster, and to do the healthy coping skills, not the unhealthy ones

win (ran outside once, did some intervals), semi-win

M: 8.2 mi run + 1000 yd swim
T: 13.2 mi run
W: 1.5 mi bike + 5 mi run
T: 8 mi run
F: off
S: 8.5 mi run + 725 yd swim
S: 14.2 mi run + 775 yd swim

Got to visit the Oklahoma Panhandle and catch some tumbleweeds on Thurs/Fri for a work trip - was fun! That area is REMOTE.
I also was part of a team that scored a major victory in my hometown - a campaign to change the mascot from something racist to something not racist. New mascot TBA, but I'm proud of the work I did. Unfortunately, the small town politics continue. We are working on legislation. I am grateful to have a skill set that allows me to contribute to the good fight.

goals for this week same as last week ;-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dr TC - congrats on your victory over the mascot. Thank you for making your community a better place!

SoCal - happy birthday! I hope it was a good one.

My goals for last week were: 4 x swim/bike/run and 2 x strength. I completed every session. Biking and running seems pretty well under control at the moment but the hot pool continues to affect my swim mojo. There was a bit too much beer and wine and sugar last week so this week I'm trying to rein it in. Workout goals are the same for this week although I may swap my long run for a XC ski.

In other news, my mother safely made it to Everest Base Camp and is now headed back downhill (possibly the most precarious part for her). Immensely proud of her because this would definitely have challenged her and she doesn't have any background in endurance activities.

What do the Womens think of International Women's Day? Lots of differing views on social media. As far as I'm concerned, I'm in a profession where women make up a very small percentage so I am always pushing for change. IWD is an opportunity for me to reach an audience I might not otherwise reach. I was a "human book" at my local library and while I'm not sure I inspired a new generation, people went home with plenty of safety messaging.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, Everest base camp! Cool!

I didn't know IWD was controversial. Can someone explain?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't think it was controversial either! Then I saw this instagram post by Holly Lawrence (it's reflective of the other negativity I saw) and it really rubbed me up the wrong way: https://www.instagram.com/p/BuwzexEAkvt/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi hi hi womens,

Dr. TC, thanks for the work you did to change the mascot! And the Oklahoma panhandle sounds really interesting.

And Scheherezade, base camp? Really? Wow. What a mom. Glad she's safe.

I wasn't aware of much controversy over IWD. Holly Lawrence seems to have missed the point.

I did everything I said I would last week, shuffled around a bit to accommodate a last-minute research presentation. Had one late night workout after a long day that sucked. sucked. sucked. But, I made it. My arse feels better after undergoing some hardship last week, though it's still got some chafing.

This week:

M: strength + swim
T: run + bike (running is going really well, fingers crossed that the patellar instability is stabilized)
W: bike + strength
Th: run
F: swim + strength
S: long bike
Su: rest

And the newb has another question this week: how do you all handle doing strength training and a cardio workout on the same day? Do you do it all at once, like strength straight into a swim for instance, or a run to the gym and then doing some weights? Do you separate them into one morning and one evening? I'm having trouble feeling strong on the second one, whichever that is, when I fit strength in.

Thanks for being amazing!

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And the newb has another question this week: how do you all handle doing strength training and a cardio workout on the same day? Do you do it all at once, like strength straight into a swim for instance, or a run to the gym and then doing some weights? Do you separate them into one morning and one evening? I'm having trouble feeling strong on the second one, whichever that is, when I fit strength in.

I almost always do all my workouts at once - saves having to take two showers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Tuesday, Ladies! And happy DST to those of us who were wishing for longer days!

My recovery week was pretty solid, except I haven't been sleeping well. It's a seasonal issue with me, specifically when seasons are changing, and my mind goes HAYWIRE at night with vivid dreams that leave me exhausted when I wake up. Bleh.

It's officially Monster Block for me, and looking at my schedule I'm not too terrified, yet, lol. My coach says I've been doing great, so that is a nice boost of confidence heading into this 21 day block of doom.

Goal for the week: Meet the Monster.
M- rest (nailed it)
Tu- 3200yd swim, 7mi run
W- 75min Zwift and 30min conditioning
Th- Team track, 60min Zwift
F- 3000yd swim and core matrix
Sa- 19mi run (OMG)
Su- 56mi ride, hosting a cycling club meeting at the house, and then team swim clinic

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
goal for the week is to do stuff that makes me faster, and to do the healthy coping skills, not the unhealthy ones

Got to visit the Oklahoma Panhandle and catch some tumbleweeds on Thurs/Fri for a work trip - was fun! That area is REMOTE.
I also was part of a team that scored a major victory in my hometown - a campaign to change the mascot from something racist to something not racist. New mascot TBA, but I'm proud of the work I did. Unfortunately, the small town politics continue. We are working on legislation. I am grateful to have a skill set that allows me to contribute to the good fight.

This is all kinds of awesome. Congrats on hard work paying off and fighting the good fight!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 11 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
In other news, my mother safely made it to Everest Base Camp and is now headed back downhill (possibly the most precarious part for her). Immensely proud of her because this would definitely have challenged her and she doesn't have any background in endurance activities.

What do the Womens think of International Women's Day? Lots of differing views on social media. As far as I'm concerned, I'm in a profession where women make up a very small percentage so I am always pushing for change. IWD is an opportunity for me to reach an audience I might not otherwise reach. I was a "human book" at my local library and while I'm not sure I inspired a new generation, people went home with plenty of safety messaging.

How cool is that?! Now we know where you get your spirit of adventure from ;) Go momma Sher!

IWD is amazing. It spotlights the incredible things that women do (aside from grow tiny humans inside of us AND put up with men) and also highlights the ongoing battle for equality. Screw what Holly Lawrence said, that came from SUCH a place of privilege. If it's so awesome for women, why are we still fighting to get equal representation at Kona? And equal prize money at pretty much any event? And why are men stopping our bike races when we're too fast?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb wrote:

Thanks for being amazing!

I like doing cardio first because it gives my muscles a chance to warm up before really pushing (and pulling) them. Honestly whichever way you can get it in will work for you when it comes down to it, but you have to make sure your muscles are warmed up in some way before putting a heavy weight load on them.

Typically I swim and lift on the same day. This is because my pool has a weight room and it's super convenient. I've done it both ways but I prefer to get my yardage out of the way before I lift.

It will take time for your body to adapt to whichever you're doing! That's the bad news. The good news is, your body is designed to adapt to new stressors over time and you will get used to the work load. Keep up the good work!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Dr TC, I try to minimise how many times I have to shower. I usually do my strength workouts before my weekday runs because they are mostly activation and single leg work and I feel they set my brain and muscles up for good form when I run.

If you're separating them during the day and still struggling, could it be a fuelling issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik. Great job changing the mascot -- I'm sad to report my high school mascot hasn't come around :|

Thanks for birthday wishes, Scheherazade -- I had a really nice getaway with Mom who'd probably get along famously with your adventurous Mom. How cool is she exploring Everest, eh?

The controversy around IWD confounds me, like many of you, I'm also in a male-dominated profession and try to push for change and celebrate our strengths and diversity. There is still work to be done.

GiantNewb, I usually pair my strength on a day with an easier run or bike. I do a little p/rehab and bandwork for every run though. I find when I lift and then try to swim (or vice versa) I'm always smoked even if I do an AM/PM session. I also I take a lot of showers and live by dry-shampoo.

My week was good -- I did yoga, and skipped a swim to get a full rest day so I did 3 of 4 swims, 4 bikes, 4 runs. I had what I think is my best ever run off the bike at the local race and finished 1st female, 10th overall. Happy birthday to me.

After my race, I took it easy and have been enjoying time with my mom -- I've done an easy swim, bike, and run and will finish the week with 4 bikes, 4 runs, 4 swims, and a lot of cake.

I hope everyone has a good week -- happy training y'all.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply