Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it
Quote | Reply
1). Our 2nd cuisinart grind-n-brew died a few years ago and i was tasked to buy a new machine. We don’t do espresso or other frothy drinks and almost all the reviews pointed to the Technivorm Moccamaster as the best in class.

$300+ later we have a piece of Scandinavian art that also brews amazing coffee. My ever frugal wife was pissed initially, but has come around as we’re into our third flawless year of brewing and barely denting the warranty period. Unlike the hunk of craps before.

2) Dyson Animal vac. Simply a game changer. We burned out a Hoover, Bissel, etc. per year until I got smart and bought a Dyson. First one lasted almost 15 years and the current is barely broke in after 4

3) Jennair gas grill. Purchased in 2002 when we bought our house and is just now ready to be phased out of service. Thing is a tank. I will note that the jennair of today is not the same as it once was. But spending good money on a good grill, regardless of brand is superior to buying a new, shitty, charbroill every three years or so.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Copper cookware
Wolf stove/oven
The 20 or so Channel Islands surfboards in my garage
BMW 760 iL (sold it unfortunately)
Living is Santa Barbara
Bikes

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staying in really nice hotels when we travel.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always wanted a wolf. Could never justify it. Well done

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We bought a dining room table, bar and leather couch from Scandinavian furniture 6 years ago. It was quite an extravagant purchase for us at the time. But 6 years later they still look great and I'm glad we spent the $$$$.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:

If you like to cook it’s worth it.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my loaded f150.
my brand new night optic.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paying for separate plane seat for the kid even when he was young enough to ride in our laps. Worth every penny.

Good Gore-Tex before trips to New Zealand and Patagonia. Also worth every penny.

Honeymoon in northern Italy. Didn’t go nuts but more than I normally would have spent.

Hotel room with a view at the Grand Canyon. It was a bit pricey but not as bad as I feared. That trip was a last minute thing - we were supposed to go to South America but mrs wimsey was pregnant and it was peak Zika time, so we bailed on South America, went to AZ and did a sort of consolation splurge on a room in the park, with a nice view.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:

They are pretty sweet. You sure pay a lot for those red knobs though!

As for the OP:

-Festool tools. I don't own many of them, but, the track saw and dust extractor combo just makes me smile whenever I use them.

-We have a few really nice pieces of handmade furniture. I had physical chest pains after seeing the price tag, but, they are built to last and have a timeless look to them

-Living in my town. It's expensive as all get out, but, it is pretty nice being in the only place in the country that doesn't really experience winter.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Splurged on a business class ticket for the 3 of us Vancouver-Frankfurt. Loved it.
Nice hotels when we travel, nothing over the top but way better then many other places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Tailored or made to measure suits. Look so much better and last so much longer than off the peg

2. Emperor sized bed with a great mattress. Fully buy into the idea that as you're going to spend a third of your life sleeping then it's worth spending some money to sleep well.

3. Our house. Really stretched the budget at the time to get a somewhat rundown house but in a great location (good local schools, community, balance between commute time vs countryside, etc). Family thought we were nuts paying what we did, but 10 years later we've got the house just the way we want it and thanks to the location the friends we've made in the area we see ourselves staying there for the foreseeable future. Which will work out much cheaper in the end than having bought a cheaper house and moving a few times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weber grill

Not sure if this counts but we paid a premium to do a guided safari in South Africa. Memories for a lifetime. I would highly recommend to anyone.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hellman's Mayonnaise
Heinz baked beans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vitamins, e36 espresso machine, $500 coffee grinder,$25/lb or higher cheeses, Stax headphones, good seats for the opera, ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Dyson Animal vac. Simply a game changer." +1!- 2 Labradors and now a deceased hairy cat in the house...good grief.

Awesome wife. Still paying.....
Mid-century modern house on the river. Stretched us but worth every penny.
F250 King Ranch
Traeger Grill - no desire to go to top shelf steak houses any longer
2 Volquartsen rifles, one in .22 and one in .17wsm
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to consider getting rid of the dead cat.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 23yr bourbon
Macbook Pro
Allen Edmonds Oxford shoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please provide name/brand of coffee maker. Just have the usual POS big box store type now.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
-Festool tools. I don't own many of them, but, the track saw and dust extractor combo just makes me smile whenever I use them.

Didn't think I would see someone else post this... Get there RO sander... Ohhh what a joy.

Expensive... buy oh well worth it.

Just finished a major kitchen overhaul.

Splurged on a 36" Bosch Benchmark induction cooktop. So far 2 days in VERY happy.. went cheap on pans for now $179 set from costco.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Mar 12, 19 5:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The default assumption is that if you pay a premium, you are getting a better product.

Virtually everything I've ever bought I've paid a premium for over a less-good alternative. Even my cheap-ass Bic razors were a premium over the Walmart brand.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To contrast the consensus from the other thread- Gillette razors and good sunglasses.

Jif
Third stall on the garage
Weber Grill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running shoes/gear, you go cheap you get hurt. I've got some running shorts I've had for a decade+, they don't fall apart.

A Dyson vacuum, I'll second that. We've had our Dyson DC07 since 2002, the thing is awesome, I'm pretty sure it'll outlive me.

Toilet paper, Quilted Northern all the way. House brands just don't get the job done.

Stereo receiver, a good TV is cheap these days, a good receiver will still cost you, but I like to "feel" my movies.

ETA: Claritin D, the Walmarche' house brand Equate doesn't do it.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Mar 12, 19 5:56
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

ETA: Claritin D, the Walmarche' house brand Equate doesn't do it.

I mentioned in the other thread that I used to work in that industry. Actually worked in the building where Equate loratadine is made. Same active ingredient and the same dosage in the store brand. Active ingredient is likely from the same source.

Are you sure you are getting the "D" version of Equate with loratadine and pseudoephedrine? That would make a huge difference.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure, my kids take it, I do not. I just know the Claritin works for them whereas the Equate does not. I gobble up Equate ibuprofin however.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than tools

Carrier Infinity 98 furnace (quiet-variable speed DC motor, made a huge difference in quality of homelife)

12 gauge wire for all regular house circuits. I put it in myself but never worry about overloading a circuit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next