Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
The site is pretty poor for fit info, slowly improving that. You'll learn more from the fit guide I wrote for Wilier although it's not that helpful for other bikes. If you read the instructions in that document you will be able to use the tables below. With the exception that the AU tables are based on cockpit XY - the metrics from frame XY to pad XY (rear, incl cushion). So if you have a target Pad XY and and known Frame XY you can work out the Cockpit XY.

Static XY charts are pretty limiting for dealing with tilt. Tririg calculator is really good but the Y gets thrown out as soon as you tilt.

Thanks for all the info!

Comparing with the values I got from my Retul fit, I'm within 1mm of the chart you gave, that is really helpful & accurate (I assume my tilt is in between)

cyclenutnz wrote:
The tilt wouldn't work at all unless you modified the spacers. Which is, of course, not recommended and would void the warranty

So would you say it's safe inverting the brackets without any modifications? I mean I know I will be limited with the tilt, but if I can get pretty close to what I'm currently running that would be awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [karmakomae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karmakomae wrote:
So would you say it's safe inverting the brackets without any modifications? I mean I know I will be limited with the tilt, but if I can get pretty close to what I'm currently running that would be awesome!

That configuration hasn't been tested so I can't make any assurance of safety sorry.
If you do try, please be really careful about bolt length to make sure the threads are engaged right through the barrel
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about to set up a new bike with the AU 100mm stem and hydration but not the rest of the bar setup (using a Vision trimax Carbon I had from another bike). The tricky part is due to geometry and the current relatively un-aggressive rider position, I need to add ~90mm of stack somewhere. I was thinking 30mm under the stem and 60mm under the pads. I just read through this entire thread and saw that someone basically asked about this exact configuration and you seemed to say that extending the headtube on wider head-tube bikes would probably be the safe bet. I figure 60mm under the pads would also give room for some airflow (though does the straw ruin that). This is going on a Medium Ceepo Viper-R, so pretty standard setup. The head-tube does honestly seem significantly more rounded and wide than say my p3c.

Am I safe to assume that my config is still the best bet or has the idea changed at all behind where to position the bottle?
Thanks!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Mar 7, 19 0:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently have my armrests in the narrowest config, and so they touch in the middle. However, since the armrests are quite wide, I can't easily bring my elbows together and hold it there, since there's nothing keeping them locked in. If they were about half as wide, and still touching in the middle, then it would be perfect. I see the race cups, which sounds like a possible option. But am I correct that the race cups in their narrowest position on the Aeria Ultimate would leave a gap in the middle? I guess the only way to achieve what I want is the reverse of the mounting bracket, which isn't advised and also then I would lose my tilt. The AU's are already super adjustable, so I'm not complaining, just can't hit this particular config it seems.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [brbbiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anybody had issues installing the stem onto a shiv steerer? The clearance is super tight and requires removal of the compression plug.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [brbbiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brbbiking wrote:
I currently have my armrests in the narrowest config, and so they touch in the middle. However, since the armrests are quite wide, I can't easily bring my elbows together and hold it there, since there's nothing keeping them locked in. If they were about half as wide, and still touching in the middle, then it would be perfect. I see the race cups, which sounds like a possible option. But am I correct that the race cups in their narrowest position on the Aeria Ultimate would leave a gap in the middle? I guess the only way to achieve what I want is the reverse of the mounting bracket, which isn't advised and also then I would lose my tilt. The AU's are already super adjustable, so I'm not complaining, just can't hit this particular config it seems.

Had the exact same problem with the cups coming with the AU. I switched to race cups and it is definitely better, although it might still be too wide for you. To give you an idea of how close they come, my BTA fits perfectly in between the two cups with very little space on each side. Also you could invert them and they should come a little bit closer.

On a side note, if anyone is interested I need to part my AU stem (100mm) + hydration (HSF Aeria). Unfortunately, 100mm is still too short for my needs :-(
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [karmakomae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good to know, thanks! I may go with the race cups to get a bit more locked in. I actually tried to simulate what it would be like to truly have my arms in the narrowest position of the AU pads, by putting some raised foam on the outer part of the armrest. It was fine on the trainer, but was too uncomfortable outdoors when my shoulders/etc were actually being used more, so it seems like I wouldn't want them that narrow anyway. So getting the race cups may be a good option for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally have my first ever build (from the ground up) done and it uses the Aeria Ultimate stem/hydration (though its pretty much stock for this bike). Super clean front end for a non super bike and with the hydration in place the profile really looks incredible. This is all with mechanical 2x as well. Overall very impressed with the stem/hydration though it hasn't gotten any outdoor rides yet.
Without the bottle:

With the bottle:

Whole bike:

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am trying to get my pads lower to the basebar to get front end lower.... I'm on the stock bars that came with my P2 in 2011 and feel much too high, and I'm already using a long / negative stem.

My armrests are ~1.5" above the bars and I'm trying to get lower (and ideally arms are a bit more narrow, too). Link here for a pic from the side https://imgur.com/a/6cOZMK

I see on the spec that I can get to 25mm stack, but most of the pics I see look to be higher than that.

Can the bars get me lower than what I'm at today?
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the angle of your current stem?
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
110cm @ -17

Here's a fit pic if that helps
https://imgur.com/a/q0lp1um
Last edited by: mvenneta: Mar 29, 19 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bars you have run a minimum cockpit Y (pad Y - frame y) of over 100mm
The Aeria Ultimate is 48mm of bar stack + 12mm of stem stack (+ headset top cover) so it is much lower.
If you went with a modular setup the subsonic is slightly taller than the AU
In your case I'd set the priorities for a new bar as
1. tilt
2. actually having some pad offset adjustment
3. room to go lower

I'd prefer to see the pads more under your elbows (depending on whether that felt comfortable for you of course), tilting them lowers the elbow and could take some strain off your biceps. And a nicer wrist angle from different extensions. I'm not convinced you need to be much lower - but changing the bars to support you better would allow you to relax into them more, so you may as well look for room to go down if you change.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you route your brake cables? I'm also using a non-Aeria basebar, so running the cables through the front of the stem isn't an option and I haven't figured out how to hide the cables as much as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for helpful reply

I can rest elbows on pads (stretching forward 1.5” maybe) but then my hands hang off the end of the bars. I do use both positions tho

When you say offset, do you mean side to side or forward and back? I can shift the pads inward a good amount.

This might be hard question to answer - but would a different front end get me into a meaningful better position?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll post here since I have a question sort of related with the Aeria Ultimate. The combo AU bar + stem works nicely to hide cables and clean up the front end, and I really like that about it. Unfortunately it turns out in my case the 100mm Aeria Ultimate stem is still a bit short for my needs, and I switched to a 130mm stem. I went with the regular Aeria stem since it was readily available and fit the AU bar nicely, but I kind of regret in the process to be unable to route properly my cables through the stem and be back to exposed cables again.

I know there are a few stems that would allow me to route the cable through them properly, unfortunately none being 120+mm. I was wondering if Profile Design was planning at some point to release something along these lines? For instance the regular Aeria stem comes in 5 lengths from 70mm to 130mm so that's a lot of options, but none that provide routing capabilities.

Is there really no clean alternative? I see some people are drilling(!) their stem so there has to be a need for these kind of stems!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karmakomae wrote:
I know there are a few stems that would allow me to route the cable through them properly, unfortunately none being 120+mm. I was wondering if Profile Design was planning at some point to release something along these lines?

It has been discussed and is in my long term possibilities list. But I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
When you say offset, do you mean side to side or forward and back? I can shift the pads inward a good amount.

Fore and aft - so that you can fine tune the reach to get properly supported by the bars
Quote:
This might be hard question to answer - but would a different front end get me into a meaningful better position?

Can't say for sure of course. But as a fitter with 3D data for biomechanics and frontal area I can't overstate the importance of highly adjustable aerobars that allow you to find a setup you can relax into.
I significantly slowed myself down a few years ago going from clipons to an integrated setup with no tilt (but the bars looked better!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if many of you use the provided BTA with the bar, but I recently tried to use it and I'm having a hard time having a sturdy setup with it. It seems alright once assembled, but a few minute into the ride and it gets a bit of play between the parts, resulting in my my bottle and cage slightly able to rotate left/right. Tightening the screws doesn't seem to change much and I now have close to a full centimeter of play even with the screws tightened to the maximum. When riding without a bottle I can clearly hear the whole assembly rattling

I'm wondering if I am the only one in this case and if any of you found a fix or an alternative. A friend of mine has the alpha X and its BTA setup seems way more reliable. That plus the fact that it assembles above the bracket, meaning the bottle is at the right height and angle, seems like a clear winner in design. Is there a similar alternative for the Aeria Ultimate bar?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope this isn’t too off subject. I just bought a TT bike with the profile design aeria AL cockpit. I love it, but it is so noisy. It rattles going over every bump. Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Rclouviere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is everything torqued and greased properly?

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really sure how to tell?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can loosen the screws and re-torque to make sure they are the correct torque. If you don't have a torque wrench take it to a bike shop. You shouldn't hear rattling. Rattling usually means loose. The shop should know what needs grease applied and what might need a little bit of threadlocker.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it rattling or creaking? Rattling would point me to brake or derailleur housing being bumped around in the bars. Creaking would be loose (improper torqued) bolts.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to be rattling inside, not creaking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have di2?

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply

Prev Next