Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, good call on the local dealer. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have suggestions on an optimal BTA setup for the IA16 or any setups any setups to avoid for any reason with this bike?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [RayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Torhans. Will break every time. Cheap plastic.
Just going to leave this here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I designed my own

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having a hard time finding reliable information on this, so coming to the experts. I have a 2017 IA3 size 48. I need suggestions for a seat tube bottle and cage. I like the Torhans, and have their Aero 30 BTA, but I'm unsure if the VR Wrap around will work with my frame - there doesn't seem to be much good guidance out there on that.

I've seen the Elite Crono CX, which looks promising, as well as the Arundel Crono. Anyone have experience with fitting any of these bottles on a small bike?

Planning on getting BTS mounts as well, plan is to keep water in BTA, calories in seat tube and one BTS, with flat kit in the other BTS and solids/tools in Calpak. IMTX is coming up in 8 weeks, so I need to get this sorted out sooner rather than later...

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the elite chrono bottle on my down tube. Looks pretty good on the seat tube as well. That's all I run along with my xlab torpedo bta. Used to run a dual bts cage,but just dont need that much as I'll likely never do a full Ironman again. At least not for some time.

On my B12 (same stock bars as the IA16, I used the profile design aero HC bottle system. Was cheap and worked well. The computer mount is terrible, but I just didn't use it. Bottle worked great for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size is your bike? My 48 doesn't have downtube bosses, only seat tube. The seat tube bosses are closer to the bottom of the triangle, making bottle selection more difficult.

Brenden Macy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RayP wrote:
Anyone have suggestions on an optimal BTA setup for the IA16 or any setups any setups to avoid for any reason with this bike?

Just ordered an Xlab Versa. I'll let you know later this week how it works.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a new TT and have my eyes set on a Felt IAx for quite some time already.
I've had a proper fit which confirmed I am a size 58.

I'm in doubt between the IA16 and the IA10.
Could probably get the IA10 for 4500€ vs 3000€ for the IA16.
Below my current thoughts on both bikes. Happy to hear opinions :)

pro's for the IA10
  • Di2
  • proper components which require no immediate upgrade

pro's for the IA16
  • 1500€ budget to match the components of the IA10: full ultegra R8000 - possibly even move to omega X brakes
  • better looks (prefer the black over the silver/grey)
  • possibly save some money to spend on a new wheelset

Di2 seems more of a nice to have than an actual upgrade to me.
Also on the pictures I've seen from the IA10 it looks a bit "dull" to me. Is it the poor quality of the picture? or poor lighting? People here who can share a picture of their IA10?

Thanks!
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Chelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably only you can work out which suits you best. I went through this as well and ended up going with the IA16 because I preferred to stay with a black frame and I wanted to make some other upgrades. But after getting the IA16 with intention to make those upgrades I was quite satisfied with the basic bottom end bike. The low end components served me better than I expected and to be honest I probably could have just remained with this selection for the type of courses I use (flattish to low rolling hills). Because I don't do a whole lot of shifting the low end group was sufficient. Part of it was going low end because I was transferring some items from the previous bike so I did not want to pay more. Those were some of the things that swayed my thoughts to the low end.

The insane part of me is now in upgrade mode with components that I wanted.

Wheels - Flo 60's transferred from previous bike
Crank - Quarq PM 52/36 transferred from previous bike
Saddle - Cobb 55 purchased and swapped. I have never liked the saddles that come on the bikes.
Group - etap aero purchased and waiting to be installed
TriRig Alpha One - Ordered and waiting oh so patiently and impatiently :-)

Even though I was doing some swaps and planned upgrades I do remember going through what you going through and trying to decide the better path. Another thing even if you go with the IA10 / Di2 option will you like the way it comes or will you want to refine it? There are some members here that have upgraded to Di and probably have refined the junction box and cables compared to a factory install. On my IA16 all of the cables are terrible and need to be redone, but that will be taken care of when I upgrade.

Look forward to hearing which one you choose.

edit: one other thing I forgot was the IA16 black frame in my size was available. I ordered and it was shipped that day. Other options at that time would have had a wait time for potentially weeks. When I found out this one was available I jumped on it.
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Mar 5, 19 3:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brmacy wrote:
What size is your bike? My 48 doesn't have downtube bosses, only seat tube. The seat tube bosses are closer to the bottom of the triangle, making bottle selection more difficult.

Very strange. Maybe that was a running change because the 48 in my house definitely has both sets of bosses. FWIW, the Elite Crono bottle works great in that tight space, and snaps very positive.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Probably only you can work out which suits you best. I went through this as well and ended up going with the IA16 because I preferred to stay with a black frame and I wanted to make some other upgrades. But after getting the IA16 with intention to make those upgrades I was quite satisfied with the basic bottom end bike. The low end components served me better than I expected and to be honest I probably could have just remained with this selection for the type of courses I use (flattish to low rolling hills). Because I don't do a whole lot of shifting the low end group was sufficient. Part of it was going low end because I was transferring some items from the previous bike so I did not want to pay more. Those were some of the things that swayed my thoughts to the low end.

The insane part of me is now in upgrade mode with components that I wanted.

Wheels - Flo 60's transferred from previous bike
Crank - Quarq PM 52/36 transferred from previous bike
Saddle - Cobb 55 purchased and swapped. I have never liked the saddles that come on the bikes.
Group - etap aero purchased and waiting to be installed
TriRig Alpha One - Ordered and waiting oh so patiently and impatiently :-)

Even though I was doing some swaps and planned upgrades I do remember going through what you going through and trying to decide the better path. Another thing even if you go with the IA10 / Di2 option will you like the way it comes or will you want to refine it? There are some members here that have upgraded to Di and probably have refined the junction box and cables compared to a factory install. On my IA16 all of the cables are terrible and need to be redone, but that will be taken care of when I upgrade.

Look forward to hearing which one you choose.

edit: one other thing I forgot was the IA16 black frame in my size was available. I ordered and it was shipped that day. Other options at that time would have had a wait time for potentially weeks. When I found out this one was available I jumped on it.

Happy to hear I'm not the only one who struggled with making this decision :-)

I see your point in not being happy with the way the Di2 is installed and cables are routed. However as I'm located in EU my LBS will have to install everything anyway so should be able to discuss and agree on this in advance.
Also I don't really plan on transferring anything from my current bike, except for the wheels and maybe the saddle if I'm not changing to ISM.
I hear the Crank on the IA16 isn't that great so that would require swapping for sure, I could probably go with the Groupset but would eventually upgrade that as well.
I am however doing mainly flat courses as well which is why I don't really consider the Di2 a real added value (possibly only resell value after X-years).
As I am set with wheels already, Dutch brand called Scope Cycling 55mm deep, I don't really need to upgrade those straight away but will eventually go for new ones anyway.
My biggest concern however is the paint job of the IA10, on most pictures it's just "gray", I believe such a bike should stand out more. This is why I'm curious to see some actual user pictures of an IA10, I am hoping to see some sparkle on there!

When did you get your bike? are you upgrading after 1 year or...
How much longer for the TriRig Alpha One to arrive? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chelle wrote:
When did you get your bike? are you upgrading after 1 year or...
How much longer for the TriRig Alpha One to arrive? :-)

TriRig has 6 to 7 weeks on the Alpha One order page. If that holds true I have another 5 weeks.

I bought mine in October 2017 blog post. It was called a 2018, but I think all they did was take the 2017 black frame and add the new Calpac and draft box. I waited through 2018 to see if SRAM would make refinements to the etap, but instead they came out with the AXS 12 speed. So I went ahead with the current etap aero group order a couple weeks ago. I wanted to stay with etap since I already use it on a road bike and like that system.

One thing I have to say about the colors are some versions I really disliked looking at internet pictures, such as, the 2017 IA14 with the black, vibrant blue and yellow graphics. When I saw one in person I was really surprised how good it looked. I also disliked the red 2018 IA16 from internet pictures until I saw one in person. The grey that you are considering looks dull to me in pictures, but it also could be surprising in person.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:

The grey that you are considering looks dull to me in pictures, but it also could be surprising in person.

My thoughts exactly... Is just like you get that confirmed nu some stunning pictures 😋
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of things:

• Di2 on a tri bike is absolutely worth it. It makes adjusting your fit, routing the cables, and packing the bike for travel super easy. Once you go Di2, you never want to go back. It may seem like it's no big deal but trust me on this. If you can afford it, this is absolutely worth it. Also, it's more likely to cost you more to upgrade the IA16 later than to just get it now.
  • Half of the IA10 paint job is matte, that's why it looks "dull". It looks quite nice in person.
  • If you don't like the color of a bike, it doesn't really matter what the spec on it is, you're going to be disappointed. So if you don't like the gray, then ignore everything I said about Di2 and get the bike that looks best to you.
  • You will never notice a difference between cranksets. Unless you're going for shorter/longer crank arms, then worrying about it is silly, you'll be able to just grab the IA16 and ride it without a second thought. (this is in reference to another post)

I bought an IA10 a few years ago and was pretty happy with it. Last year my LBS had a 2018 IA16 in that beautiful candy red that I loved. I bought it and swapped all the components between the bikes and sold the IA10. My black/white IA never received as many compliments as my red one. I'm a happy camper
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it comes down to the model year? Mine is a 2017, not sure if it changed year-to-year. I think I'm leaning toward the Elite Crono then, since it fits in the triangle on the seat tube.

Brenden Macy
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the black/white/red accent 2017 IA16 last summer for a good discount. Upgraded to di2, tri rig alpha x bars, new calpac, and omega x brakes. All that was less than the MSRP for a new IA10. Throw in my HED Jet 6+ wheels and powertap pedals from my previous bike and I've got a ride that's way above my ability level. Im not complaining about that. Huge fan of the value in the IA16.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2017 too, I think. Black with white logos and red accents, with the first generation CalPac.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly this...

bought an IA16 for $2k (new old stock). i preferred the all black look anyway compared to all the colorways. added eTap, alpha cockpit, omega brake, zipp bars, ISM saddle, enve 7.8 front and flo disc and i have what I would consider a top line bike for under $6k all in. the IA1 framsets go for over $5k, doesn't add up for me.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pulled the trigger on the new old stock 2017 IA16 I mentioned above. LBS ordered the new CalPac and the BTSPac. Also got red pedals to pull out the accents... REALLY excited to get my hands on it! (Just wish the weather would get warmer!)

Now to save for upgrades!
Last edited by: stew560: Mar 6, 19 6:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brmacy wrote:
Maybe it comes down to the model year? Mine is a 2017, not sure if it changed year-to-year. I think I'm leaning toward the Elite Crono then, since it fits in the triangle on the seat tube.

My IA1 disc only has bosses on the seat tube
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad I’m not the only one! I still need to find a bottle that will fit in that triangle and is at least marginally aero. Riding a 48 means I have less space between top tube and bottom bracket, limiting my selection further. REALLY need to get this sorted soon, thinking if no answers come this week, I’ll just drag it to a bike shop and test for whatever they have until I find a solution.

Brenden Macy
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I purchased the 2018 Felt IA16 it was to get the cheapest version and then upgrade over a period of time to components that I selected. The bike is nearing completion of the latest updates with a TriRig Alpha One bar and etap aero group. I was not planning on replacing the rear brake, but decided late last week that since I need to re-cable the bike to go ahead to put the TriRig Omega X brake on the bike. I have quite a few miles with the rear stock brake and have had no trouble even though it never really locks up the rear wheel and I have to apply a good amount of pressure on the lever. One of the first upgrades I made when I purchased the bike was to put an Omega X on the front so perhaps that is one reason I felt it was not a necessary purchase.

However, after installing the Omega X last night and just apply the brakes I noticed quite a bit of difference and now believe this was a worthy purchase and upgrade. This was not a road test and was just applying the brake while walking it across the floor. As mentioned before when I did this same test using the stock brake and the lever fully squeezed the rear tire would still roll with pushing the bike a little harder. Applying the Omega X brake took less pressure from my hand and the wheel fully locked up while pushing the bike.

Just a quick note in my observation of this update. Again it was not a planned upgrade, but I think it will be a good one.

Looking forward to finishing the updates. The bike looks much cleaner now with the Alpha One bars and no exposed cables and a clean BTA mount. The issue with slipping arm cups on the stock aero bar cannot happen again (finally got those to stop rotating during a ride). Hopefully a bit of efficiency in aero is gained as well.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an 2017 IA10 and need a shorter stem. I've looked on Felt's site and it's all very confusing as to which stem fits on which bike.

My questions are: what stem length is default on a size 51 and what's the step down from that?

Essentially, my fit is really good when I'm in aero, but using my bull horns is a bit of a pain because of the reach. The idea behind getting a shorter stem is that I could move my aero bars forward while being able to use the bull horns.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [bbqdbanana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the stem that came on your bike according to felt.com

https://www.felt-stuff.com/...-ia-1x-90mm?c=200029

I think you're going to be looking at an aftermarket stem to go shorter than 90mm
Quote Reply

Prev Next