Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? March 4 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week: keep doing the things that manage stress and anxiety in HEALTHY ways

I used some healthy coping skills and some unhealthy ones. The good news is today I am neither stressed nor anxious - just tired from having hosted a research conference this past Thurs-Sat. My team did a great job and everyone had a productive, enjoyable conference. I enjoyed being in charge (both in planning and running the show), as it was sort of like running a summer camp, but for adults.

I got a "snow day" today due to alleged dangerous wind chill. I'm not sure who makes the school cancellation decisions for our campus, but according to weather.com the forecast isn't that cold or windy so I'm confused but certainly not complaining. I feel like an April fool's day prank is being played on me, except I got all the standard phone calls / texts / emails / campus website messages so ???

M: 13.1 mi run
T: 7.2 mi run + 1125 yd swim
W: 1775 yd swim
T: 7.1 mi run + 1100 yd swim
F: 3 mi run + 3000 yd swim
S: 10 mi run
S: 4.5 mi run

totals 7000 yd swim, 44.9 mi run

goal for the week is to do stuff that makes me faster, and to do the healthy coping skills, not the unhealthy ones

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr TC - I like how you describe it! "summer camp for adults" sounds pretty fun.

My goals for last week were:
swim x 4 (please cross your fingers that the pool is cooler) - nope we'll call it 2.5 swims. The pool was not cooler by the end of the week and the aquatic supervisor basically told me it's going to be hovering around 30C forever more.
bike x 4 - done
run x 4 - done; including one outdoor run which was way colder than I had prepared for. Luckily it was only 15 minutes, but brrrr.
strength x 2 - done. I have been introducing walking lunges into my routine and man, do they rough me up.

Same goals for this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

Dr. T, congrats on getting to the close of a conference and enjoying it. I love that categorization as summer camp for adults. It deffo feels that way. Good luck with fostering more healthy coping skills.

Scheherezade, ya got close this week!!! Sorry about the pool temp. The pool at my home gym is equally warm, for the more impaired folks who do aqua aerobics. It feels like a dream jumping in, but then I just feel like I'm in a tub full of sweat. It's gross. I luckily have access to a different pool, if I navigate a few more limitations.

Here were my goals last week:

M: strength, short run drills
T: Longer cardio, probably bike
W: strength, swim
Th: run
F: strength, bike
S:??? Something fun and long.
S: rest

I smashed 'em. Did it all with a smile and felt better not worse every day. Except on Saturday. The weather was atrocious and I had to do a long indoor bike session (boring) and my arse started to hurt. I think I got my first ever saddle sore, so that's a moment. Muscles felt great though. I'm also feeling much better with the running. My main goal for the next few months is to get running longer distances healthily without injuring myself. Doing the Matt Fitzgerald slower-not-faster approach. Here's the plan:

M: strength and swim 1 hr
T: Run 30 mins then bike 1 hr (that'll eventually reverse to bricks, but I want to get stronger as a runner first)
W: Bike 1 hr
Th: Run 30 mins and strength
F: Swim 1 hr.
S: Run 30 mins and bike 1.5 hrs at least
Su: rest

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik. Glad to hear you're neither stressed nor anxious and that the conference went well.

Scheherazade, nice work! I hate the hot pool. It was 84/29 the other night and I went like I was a noodle in soup broth trying to do my workout.

My week was good but tiring from both sports and not sports. My goals were 4 swims, 4 bikes, 4 runs, a yoga class and a rest day -- I had a glorious yoga class, and swam, rode, and ran 4 times. The only thing remarkable about my week (besides how tired I am) was that I hit 30MPW for the second time since returning to running -- a far cry from big volume weeks of yore but a fun little benchmark for me.

This week is a lighter week but I wouldn't call it a light week - hopefully yoga, a rest day, 4 swims, 4 bikes, 4 runs including a local race before taking a long weekend with my Mom to celebrate our birthdays :D

Happy training y'all.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: saddle sores
chamois butter and bike shorts are very useful things, if you have not discovered them yet. I mention this because I figured it out on my own the hard way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy March, Ladies! It's good to see that people had better weeks last week. Way to get after the goals!

Dr TC, congrats on the successful conference! It's always nervewracking and stressful enough to attend one, nevermind HOSTING one. Big kudos to you! I hope you have a steady week of healthy habits.

Last week's goal was to survive. Ta-da! 7 days and 156 miles later, here I am, ready to rock a recovery week.

This week's goal- recover and prepare for Monster Block

M- rest (nailin' it!)
Tu- 1600yd swim and 4mi run
W- 2hr Zwift ride and serious stretching
Th- Yoga
F- 1900yd swim and serious core work
Sa- prehab and 10mi run, also it's Mr. Cupcake's birthday and there will be shenanigans
Su- 1hr recovery ride, 2mi run brick, and team swim clinic

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. TC, I've got bike shorts. Chamois cream was on my list of things to buy, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet. Anyone have a favorite brand?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chamois butt'r !

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks - hosting was more fun and somehow less stressful than just plain attendance. I'm not super social, and enjoyed having an excuse of "must go check on ______" . The downside was that I didn't go to as many actual talks as I would have liked.

I got some perks as an organizer - the contract had some 'free' stuff for us like valet parking, an upgrade to a suite for me... and best of all, I only had to drive an hour to get there instead of flying!

congrats on your good week.

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Mar 4, 19 16:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recovery week... Ahhhhhhh!!!!!! Now back to the grind!

I am just having so much fun and am really enjoying the journey and training for my next IM. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like betwixt by Zealios

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb wrote:
Dr. TC, I've got bike shorts. Chamois cream was on my list of things to buy, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet. Anyone have a favorite brand?
I've got some samples of Chamois Butt'r and, I think Betwixt.
If you're in the continental US, I can send you a couple to try. PM me your info.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks! Will follow up.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aww, thank you!

We didn't do anything too crazy. I had to run 18 in the morning and had to ride hard the next day. So partying hard consisted of takeout fried rice, a short trip to our favorite microbrewery, and some couch time :p

This weekend is my husband's birthday, and it's recovery week so we'll probably do something a bit more involved.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 4 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fried rice is the best! Happy birthday to Mr Dr_C as well.
Quote Reply