Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's talk about discs.
Is there a consensus on what best for the SC? The team guy look like there running a jet black but is there something that better? Anything that doesn't fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
pk1 wrote:
Hi, hoping someone can help. I'm reassembling my SC after travel and the rear brake seems to have got itself in an impossible position! the non-drive side swing arm is back behind the drive side, the trick being that it can't actually pass through the gap to get there or more relevantly, back.

i tried undoing the mounting bolt but that doesn't actually seem to come out, much as i turn it just gets a bit loose and rotates with the brake cover bolt...

Could you try and upload some photos?

As for the bolt, it might be unthreaded but leaving at an angle to where it wont remove. Try grabbing it with a pair of needle nose pliers

Hi Mitch

thanks, will try that.
i was trying to upload a photo but kept getting stymied by the file restrictions, i think i have that sorted now though

no, its definitely still attached... i think what is happening is whatever the bolt screws into is rotating with it. i guess i'll have to take the whole brake assembly off so i can get at the other side to see what is going on there.

just so frustrating as i feel like there should be an easier way since somehow the brake arm found its way into that position so it should be reversible!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
pk1 wrote:
Hi, hoping someone can help. I'm reassembling my SC after travel and the rear brake seems to have got itself in an impossible position! the non-drive side swing arm is back behind the drive side, the trick being that it can't actually pass through the gap to get there or more relevantly, back.

i tried undoing the mounting bolt but that doesn't actually seem to come out, much as i turn it just gets a bit loose and rotates with the brake cover bolt...

Could you try and upload some photos?

As for the bolt, it might be unthreaded but leaving at an angle to where it wont remove. Try grabbing it with a pair of needle nose pliers

Hi Mitch

thanks, will try that.
i was trying to upload a photo but kept getting stymied by the file restrictions, i think i have that sorted now though

So you can't swing it upward in a clockwise rotation? You can try to push the one side away to make the gap larger for bringing the one side back up. I fiddled with that when assembling my last SC too. Didn't need to remove the bolt itself.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't seem to be a consensus on what disc is best for SC.
I think all will fit bar the Roval 321 which seems to be the widest on the market at moment, and just needs the duotrap bulge reduced.

Basically, down to your preference and budget.

I'm switching from a Zipp Super 9 to the Roval 321 for some relatively trivial reasons:
1 - wider brake track matches my training wheels so means can swap without needing to adjust brakes
2 - Roval is lighter, which doesn't matter a lot but hey
3 - More aero due to wider profile and tyres fitting
4 - just fancy a change after 3 years or so
5 - got a good price and Zipp has held value reasonably well so fine with the upgrade difference

Con is I have to remove duotrap bulge, no warranty issue as frame is already custom resprayed and it's also about 3+ years old now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any thought on a tubular sub 9?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Let's talk about discs.
Is there a consensus on what best for the SC? The team guy look like there running a jet black but is there something that better? Anything that doesn't fit?

Running a Hed Jet Disc in mine. Fits easily with 25mm tyres on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Any thought on a tubular sub 9?

Lovely disc, till you get a puncture.

Had one over a year myself before I switched to clinchers.
The sealant didn't work, neither did the pit stop and not a fan of committing to a pre glued semi tight replacement tyre for a hobby.

Clinchers now matching weight, more aero, cheaper replacement solution and generally easier to replace means only reason to go Tub is to try ride it in if you puncture.
Also Tubeless seems the future now anyway so get wheels that cater for both to future proof .

Marker value of tubulars seems to have tanked as a result.

Id rather have the easier cheaper more practical backup option and safer replacement during race if needed.
Last edited by: Fazz: Feb 24, 19 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The nuts and boldt om my seatpost is so rusty that I have to replace them.
I have orderred this kit: Kit 437030

But how should I manage to replace the bolt with the wheel? Any ideas?

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [superjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done it myself (and I have been meaning to try it), but my idea is to use an extension magnet to carefully thread the new bolt through the wheel and then the seatpost. It's definitely not possible to do by hand.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [superjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
superjon wrote:

For removing that bolt, lightly tap it loose. You may need some PB plaster to break the corrosion loose though. It sits within the slot of the dial and isn't threaded.

Here is a diagram to show how it sits:

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone happen to know if the hardware that attach the extensions to the base bar, as well as the pad brackets can be ordered separately for the Gen 1 9 series? Got part numbers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
superjon wrote:

For removing that bolt, lightly tap it loose. You may need some PB plaster to break the corrosion loose though. It sits within the slot of the dial and isn't threaded.

Mitch... the challenge is how do you actually get a new screw (the one with the wheel) through the seatpost. You can't exactly put your hand inside the seatpost to thread it through.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
superjon wrote:

Mitch... the challenge is how do you actually get a new screw (the one with the wheel) through the seatpost. You can't exactly put your hand inside the seatpost to thread it through.

You'd want to use a long allen key or pliers to place it through the hole and the wheel.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Does anyone happen to know if the hardware that attach the extensions to the base bar, as well as the pad brackets can be ordered separately for the Gen 1 9 series? Got part numbers?

Riser bolt kit: 420693 (comes with different length bolts to work with the spacers)
Extension clamp: 423509
Pad brackets: 437029 (replaced 420488)

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Blip Box [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am about to install 11spd etap on my 2018 Speed Concept this week. I have reviewed as many posts I could find about where to locate the blip box. Anywhere from using garmin mount on bars, storing in nutrition box on top tube, to sticking to stem cover, even a guy who hardwired the blip box all the way back to his seat.

Has anyone in the last few months come up with any other ideas? My bike is a size medium with a low far stem.

I am leaning towards fastening it to the stem cover. Maybe drilling a hole through the stem cover and screwing the blip box to the stem cover using the threaded hole on the back of the blip box. Anyone have any issues with this placement?

Comments???
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Blip Box [Tri_Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Barf wrote:
I am about to install 11spd etap on my 2018 Speed Concept this week. I have reviewed as many posts I could find about where to locate the blip box. Anywhere from using garmin mount on bars, storing in nutrition box on top tube, to sticking to stem cover, even a guy who hardwired the blip box all the way back to his seat.

Has anyone in the last few months come up with any other ideas? My bike is a size medium with a low far stem.

I am leaning towards fastening it to the stem cover. Maybe drilling a hole through the stem cover and screwing the blip box to the stem cover using the threaded hole on the back of the blip box. Anyone have any issues with this placement?

Comments???

If you can attach it to the stem cover, that's the best place. But you can also attach it under the mono extension with the adhesive mount they provide, just ensure the surface is cleaned before applying for the best adhesion. If you mount it there, you have to double the connections back and over the mono spacer. Just make sure you don't have the cables pinched if you are tilting the extension downward.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there with a large Gen 2 in di2 that remembers what your wire length were. Just trying to figure out what all I need to get ordered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Anyone out there with a large Gen 2 in di2 that remembers what your wire length were. Just trying to figure out what all I need to get ordered.

This should help for determining your wiring length for Di2:

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Blip Box [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also check out the adhesive backed velcro. I use the picture hanging strips and they work really nice. My blip box is on the stem cover with wire terminals facing forward. The stem cover has two slots you can cut off for di2 wires.. I have almost no wire visible using this method.

Mitch@Trek wrote:
Tri_Barf wrote:

Comments???

If you can attach it to the stem cover, that's the best place. But you can also attach it under the mono extension with the adhesive mount they provide, just ensure the surface is cleaned before applying for the best adhesion. If you mount it there, you have to double the connections back and over the mono spacer. Just make sure you don't have the cables pinched if you are tilting the extension downward.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Blip Box [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to move it to 9400

That is all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch. I'm coming-up blank on Google. Could you tell me the size/spec of the bolts that fix the rear brake mount into the frame on the Gen 1 SC? Many thanks!

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Hi Mitch. I'm coming-up blank on Google. Could you tell me the size/spec of the bolts that fix the rear brake mount into the frame on the Gen 1 SC? Many thanks!

Those will be M5x0.8 16mm flat head screws torqued to 5Nm. OEM part SKU is W304263 to order them from your local Trek dealer!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
superjon wrote:

Huge thanks for this pic... recently bought the larger offset seat post from someone as my bike fitter want to move me forward... got a great deal on the post but all the hardware came detached in shipment.

I think I might be able to maybe put it together and or tell what parts I'm missing now... seems to be the latter. Huge thanks though!!!!

Love my SC btw.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
superjon wrote:

Huge thanks for this pic... recently bought the larger offset seat post from someone as my bike fitter want to move me forward... got a great deal on the post but all the hardware came detached in shipment.

I think I might be able to maybe put it together and or tell what parts I'm missing now... seems to be the latter. Huge thanks though!!!!

Love my SC btw.

Glad it helps and that you're enjoying your SC!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks!!

29 years and counting
Quote Reply

Prev Next