Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good deal or impractical
Quote | Reply
I like Vittoria Zaffiro as training tires. I had a pair come on my bike. They feel nice and durable. Slow... but nice for training.

On Wiggle I saw a 10 pack for $84. Given they’re long lasting trainers is this a good deal or just impractical buying too much?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal or impractical [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on how many miles you ride a year and if you need the money for something else. If they're durable I imagine you get at least 4-5k miles out of a set so you're talking about not having to buy training tires for a very long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't dream of it.
Unless you do collossal distance each year outside, that's several years worth of tyres. Do you really know you'll still want to use this tyre, in this size, for years to come? Maybe you'll decide you prefer wider tyres or narrower tyres, perhaps you'll decide you want to switch to tubeless. Also, a minor point perhaps, but do you want to have tyres lying around the house waiting for you to ride another 25-40 thousand kilometres?

What if you come to your senses and realise that you should be using really nice tyres for training, because they make it more enjoyable?
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal or impractical [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I wouldn't dream of it.
Unless you do collossal distance each year outside, that's several years worth of tyres. Do you really know you'll still want to use this tyre, in this size, for years to come? Maybe you'll decide you prefer wider tyres or narrower tyres, perhaps you'll decide you want to switch to tubeless. Also, a minor point perhaps, but do you want to have tyres lying around the house waiting for you to ride another 25-40 thousand kilometres?

What if you come to your senses and realise that you should be using really nice tyres for training, because they make it more enjoyable?

Agree with a lot of this. Which is why it makes sense not to. Especially since I’m only saving like $3 a tire. But on the other hand it’s just so tempting to make this one $84 purchase and be done with it. In the end I’m leaning towards no, still tempting though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone you can go halves with? I like having consumable stuff around - chains, tires, tubes but 5 seems a much better number than 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
I wouldn't dream of it.

Agree with a lot of this. Which is why it makes sense not to. Especially since I’m only saving like $3 a tire. But on the other hand it’s just so tempting to make this one $84 purchase and be done with it. In the end I’m leaning towards no, still tempting though.
That'll be the poison that is marketing. Making you feel like you're missing out on something even though it's not really something you want.
If you didn't know this specific deal was available would you be wishing that it was? No? Well then give it a miss.
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal or impractical [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Anyone you can go halves with? I like having consumable stuff around - chains, tires, tubes but 5 seems a much better number than 10.

My fiancée but she’s just started riding and hasn’t really developed preferences and certainly won’t put up the miles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy Tannus solid rubber tires for your training set
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
I like Vittoria Zaffiro as training tires. I had a pair come on my bike. They feel nice and durable. Slow... but nice for training.

On Wiggle I saw a 10 pack for $84. Given they’re long lasting trainers is this a good deal or just impractical buying too much?

I wouldn't inventory something that I didn't plan to use in the next 12-18 months. As a triathlete, 5 sets of training tires seems like a lifetime's worth---especially when factoring in old race tires. I doubt I would trust a 5-10 year old tire for riding 50-80 miles from home, solo and unsupported (my normal riding).

But, then I also wouldn't buy and ride a $8 tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would take me literally years to go through that many training tires, and within that time I'm betting the thinking on wheel size, tire width, etc. will have changed again rendering a bunch of tires useless.
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal or impractical [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

I wouldn't inventory something that I didn't plan to use in the next 12-18 months. As a triathlete, 5 sets of training tires seems like a lifetime's worth---especially when factoring in old race tires. I doubt I would trust a 5-10 year old tire for riding 50-80 miles from home, solo and unsupported (my normal riding).

But, then I also wouldn't buy and ride a $8 tire.

They don't have an expiry date. My tri-bike (which doesn't get a lot of miles) has a mismatched pair of tires (gatorskin on the front and some kind of specialized allcondition tire on the back). Those tires are at LEAST 10 years old. They're fine, no signs of delamination or cracking.

But I'm weird. I like my old aluminium p2k, my non-split-nosed saddle, my vision tech non-adjustable aerobars, my Swedish goggles. And I couldn't really give a crap what tires are on the bike for training, as long as they're hassle-free.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal or impractical [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

They don't have an expiry date. My tri-bike (which doesn't get a lot of miles) has a mismatched pair of tires (gatorskin on the front and some kind of specialized allcondition tire on the back). Those tires are at LEAST 10 years old. They're fine, no signs of delamination or cracking.

You're luck is better than mine, then. I just replaced all the family bike tires in my house because they were delaminating. All were somewhere around the 10 year old mark.

That said, you are probably right....sitting on a shelf (new), inside in climate controlled conditions waiting to be used, they be fine.

JasoninHalifax wrote:

But I'm weird. I like my old aluminium p2k, my non-split-nosed saddle, my vision tech non-adjustable aerobars, my Swedish goggles. And I couldn't really give a crap what tires are on the bike for training, as long as they're hassle-free.

Hey! I'm just as glacial when it comes to bikes. My TT bike is the same vintage as yours (p3sl v p2k). And my road bike is another 10 years older than that! I still have the original 8-speed Ultegra-6400 on it, too.

I'm not that picky about training tires. I tend to buy Conti Ultrasport II, just because I've had good success with it and its predecessors over the last 30 years. But, I also use up my race-tires after they have seen enough race miles that I want a fresh set for the next season.

So, between those two factors I just don't know that I would EVER go through 5 sets of tires (by myself). I've been trying to add up how many new sets I've bought since I stopped being a pure cyclist---I'm not coming up with a big number.

Also, I don't like to just store crap forever. My house is full of enough other shit (which I'm always trying to get rid of), I don't need to add to the mess with a lifetime's supply of cheap-ass tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal or impractical [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

You're luck is better than mine, then. I just replaced all the family bike tires in my house because they were delaminating. All were somewhere around the 10 year old mark.

That said, you are probably right....sitting on a shelf (new), inside in climate controlled conditions waiting to be used, they be fine.

JasoninHalifax wrote:

Hey! I'm just as glacial when it comes to bikes. My TT bike is the same vintage as yours (p3sl v p2k). And my road bike is another 10 years older than that! I still have the original 8-speed Ultegra-6400 on it, too.

I'm not that picky about training tires. I tend to buy Conti Ultrasport II, just because I've had good success with it and its predecessors over the last 30 years. But, I also use up my race-tires after they have seen enough race miles that I want a fresh set for the next season.

So, between those two factors I just don't know that I would EVER go through 5 sets of tires (by myself). I've been trying to add up how many new sets I've bought since I stopped being a pure cyclist---I'm not coming up with a big number.

Also, I don't like to just store crap forever. My house is full of enough other shit (which I'm always trying to get rid of), I don't need to add to the mess with a lifetime's supply of cheap-ass tires.

I have 2 road bikes, (well, 1.9 road bikes), an early 2000's USPS Trek and my mid'90's Serotta Colorado. Love the Serotta, it's the only bike I actually have an attachment to. It needs a new set of brakes though, I took them off when I sold my track bike, the buyer wanted brakes since he was gonna be riding it on the road.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy the 10 pack for $84. Keep two pair. Sell the remaining tires on your local craigslist for $28/pair. 2 free sets of tires for you ;)

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 28, 19 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal or impractical [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Buy the 10 pack for $84. Keep two pair. Sell the remaining tires on your local craigslist for $28/pair. 2 free sets of tires for you ;)

Ding, Ding ding!!! We have a winna!

Where the hell is that friggin' "like" button.

[/end thread]
Quote Reply