Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Birthday Ideas
Quote | Reply
Our friend is planning on doing IMTX this year and usually does a HIM and sprints each year. His wife has requested some tri-related idea for his birthday. Her opening suggestion was some aero-wheels, but he is riding two year old Rolf Vigors, so I wasn't certain on the value of that. He is a cheapskate so he would never by aero-wheels just for a race.

His current set-up:
Lapierre Sensium 200
Basic clip-on Aerobars
Rolf Vigor wheels
Fenix 3 hr

What would be some good ideas for a birthday gift? My initial thoughts would be the RedShift Aerosystem or a decent BTA water bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Birthday Ideas [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New running shoes. Seriously, if he's truly a cheepskate, he's probably running in a pair with 2,000 miles on them. Should be pretty easy to see what he's currently running in and get a new pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough to buy gifts for a triathlete... inevitably it could be in the realm of things they want but not "the version" that they're looking for... Also depends hugely on the person. Someone that would wants something they'll use frequently in training vs a "special" item that comes out of the bag for racing... Data nerd vs old skool... etc, etc, etc.

How about a, "we all chipped in and got you this gift card for tri-gear?" Kind of a cop-out but they get to pick. Or some experience related thing around IMTX? Post-race massage? Super nice meal with wife afterwards? Or there's always the "Wow, look at this brand new P5-X with a full carbon disc!"

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bike fit, followed by taking him shopping for parts (particularly stem, seatpost, saddle) to help him achieve that position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a week away at a training camp?
Quote Reply
Re: Birthday Ideas [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies for far. I think the nature of situation here means it's can't be something he can be alerted to unless it's subtly asking questions. Also, it's a gift from his wife, not from the cycling friends. Closest quality fitter to us is a 3-4 hr drive so that's probably out.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
Thanks for the replies for far. I think the nature of situation here means it's can't be something he can be alerted to unless it's subtly asking questions. Also, it's a gift from his wife, not from the cycling friends. Closest quality fitter to us is a 3-4 hr drive so that's probably out.

Thanks again.

Yeah, unless he's specifically requested an item, I wouldn't go buy him something. We're all fussy about our gear! But maybe the wife could drop a hint? "hey, if you were to get one item to make your bike faster, what would it be?" And as a gift, it needn't be the most cost-effective performance gain, it would be about what makes him the happiest.
Quote Reply
Re: Birthday Ideas [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Canyon Speedmax. It’s the only gift Lionel would approve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it’s a gift from the wife possibly a new GPS. Fenix 5 or 935.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tell her to go check his browsing history for tri goodies he looks at and find gift ideas that way!

joking aside, i like the bike fit idea. a good bike fit can be had for 300 bucks.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a nice pair of Oakleys.
As someone else said about the the shoes, if he's a cheapskate he's probably not buying Oakleys.
Quote Reply
Re: Birthday Ideas [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true! My wife did the same thing and guess who ended up with a garmin 810 and a Kickr?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A massage package?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get him one of the slick tool kits from silca. Those things are perfect gifts because they're super nice but not something someone would usually spend the money on to buy for themselves.

https://silca.cc/collections/silca-tools
Quote Reply
Re: Birthday Ideas [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
tell her to go check his browsing history for tri goodies he looks at and find gift ideas that way! .

This is just a really bad terrible no good idea.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Birthday Ideas [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Get him one of the slick tool kits from silca. Those things are perfect gifts because they're super nice but not something someone would usually spend the money on to buy for themselves.

https://silca.cc/collections/silca-tools

this is very true. i have two of silcas tool kits. they are fantastic.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Birthday Ideas [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s all you got? (Pink)

Pathlete wrote:
So true! My wife did the same thing and guess who ended up with a garmin 810 and a Kickr?
Quote Reply