Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2018 Cervelo S5 Bottom Bracket Carbon Layup
Quote | Reply
Hi, I just purchased a brand new 2018 Cervelo S5 Team Dimension Data built. Got is on a great clearance, can still return but would hate to as I really like the bike. In looking for the DI2 battery I noticed this sort of poorly finished carbon layup as you look into the BB area from below the bike. I am guessing that this is not really a structural issue but not 100% sure, and also want to make sure the Cervelo frame warranty is not voided.

Anybody know if this is acceptable? Thanks for your help!
Last edited by: WhySwim: Feb 27, 19 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo S5 Bottom Bracket Carbon Finish [WhySwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry new posting pictures, maybe this way you it can be seen directly in post:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no that doesn't matter
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo S5 Bottom Bracket Carbon Finish [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Just curious, is this "typical" for Cervelo frames or did the shop have to chop a little at the frame to fix the DI2 battery up into the bottom of the down tube? I am a little surprised the edge looks so random.

Also, I have read of all kind of problems with Trek Madone BB and dirt getting to the moving parts from the inside. I live in the rainy North West and would be tempted to cover the opening and maybe just have a very small drain hole. The DI2 cable is running right there as well and I can see all kind of wet dirt getting in there. Good or bad idea?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that should definitely have a rubber grommet cover. it comes with the bike, both for mechanical (plastic) and di2 (rubber).

your bike is extremely dirty so it's really hard to be sure of specifically what you are referring to but nothing in this picture worries me. i assumed you took the grommet off for the picture, but i guess not.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo S5 Bottom Bracket Carbon Finish [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks ok to me. All the bike companies don't make inside pretty for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo S5 Bottom Bracket Carbon Finish [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
except for Time. different construction methond. smooth as a babys' bum on the inside.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My BB picture might not be super clear; bike is for sure not dirty as it has never been ridden :) No, it did not come with a cover of any kind. I will ask them at the shop.
Last edited by: WhySwim: Feb 27, 19 14:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that bike that is in the original picture you linked has "never been ridden?"
Last edited by: jkhayc: Feb 27, 19 14:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct. Cannot get pictures to show directly in post (versus a jpeg file link). Tried with and without the inline option. Did you see the second picture of the complete bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes. i see all the pictures.

i'm just confused as to how that first picture can possibly be of a 'new' bike. i can't reconcile it with pictures you just posted.

regardless, that thing should have a cover and the shop should provide that with a new bike, for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see how it looked like really dirty, but mostly because it was super close up. Here is a picture from further away. yes a couple of specks for a test ride but generally very, very clean. So you are thinking there should be a plastic cover over the entire opening, right?
Last edited by: WhySwim: Feb 27, 19 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, it should have a rubber grommet. looks like this

https://www.excelsports.com/...ajor=11&minor=11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thanks, makes sense! Thanks again for your help.
Quote Reply