Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ladies I need your help!
Quote | Reply
Ok, so yesterday my fiancee who's new to tri saw some jerseys and suits she likes. We have an anniversary, mother's day, a delayed Christmas (so we could concentrate on the kids), and her birthday I'd like to get her some stuff. She's a newbie and doesn't own or know a lot, and therefor has no real preferences to brands and styles yet.

But here's the problem. She's short (under 5 feet) but has a medium sized chest, even a large in some of the more restrictive brand names. Or a medium large if that's such a thing? I'm not well versed in women's sizing as that was only one time I wore that dress... Ok off topic.

Question is should I pay more attention to chest size (which I managed to get, please don't make me ask for more) or height?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies I need your help! [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend a 2-piece suit then. .... or better yet, take her on a date to the shop where she can try them on and find out what fits best for her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size bra does she wear?
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies I need your help! [grrladventure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh trust me I TRIED to tell her that her ankle biting body needs a two piece. Maybe I should have someone else tell her... Because we know anything that comes from me is BS haha.

Quote Reply
Re: Ladies I need your help! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What size bra does she wear?

Not 100% sure but I want to say C. I did get her bust measurement yesterday though when looking at size charts online for tri suits. 36"

Quote Reply
Re: Ladies I need your help! [grrladventure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grrladventure wrote:
I'd recommend a 2-piece suit then. .... or better yet, take her on a date to the shop where she can try them on and find out what fits best for her.

That's a good idea but she's dead set on "color vomit" as she likes to put it. Either that or Betty Designs. She really wants something different and unique just like her :) I'm happy to comply.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go take a look at her bras and let us know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Ok, that will have to wait I'm at work. This is slowtwitch it's worse than Facebook for stealing work productivity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want it to be a surprise, go raid a couple of her favourite tops, bottoms, and bras from the closet. Make note of sizes. Then I suggest you contact the fine ladies at CĹ“ur or Betty to give you some fit guidance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Ok, so yesterday my fiancee who's new to tri saw some jerseys and suits she likes. We have an anniversary, mother's day, a delayed Christmas (so we could concentrate on the kids), and her birthday I'd like to get her some stuff. She's a newbie and doesn't own or know a lot, and therefor has no real preferences to brands and styles yet.

But here's the problem. She's short (under 5 feet) but has a medium sized chest, even a large in some of the more restrictive brand names. Or a medium large if that's such a thing? I'm not well versed in women's sizing as that was only one time I wore that dress... Ok off topic.

Question is should I pay more attention to chest size (which I managed to get, please don't make me ask for more) or height?

I'm not sure if you've looked into De Soto pieces or suits, but if so this is something Emilio would probably love to help you with (though I can't speak for him) if you send him an email. Good luck!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming she's height/weight proportionate, then a small or extra small one piece tri-suit will serve her well. Two-piece outfits don't fit small frames well in my experience, as the tops tend to ride up (some triathlon clothing makers must think women are built like Sponge Bob Square Pants with no breasts or hips).

As to bra size, if you live close to a Title IX store, then go there and get a proper high-impact exercise bra. Getting the bounce under control will be important to her comfort with a C-cup on an under 5 foot frame.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m close to her size and I’ll commiserate. The best advice I can give for sizing- take her chest and waist and hip measurements from a bra and her favorite pair of jeans. You can reverse calculate the sizes of the jeans by going to the website and looking at the size chart for the number. Use that for any purchases.

As far as kits go, I live in the Zoot stuff for both one and two piece kits (even before I joined the team). The two piece stuff is good for training even if she doesn’t want to race in it- the chamois is comfy and the fit and material are nice. She may have to learn “the hard way” for one or two piece at a race.

The only other big question is- built in bra or not. I can get away with the built in bra on my Zoot one piece (also as a 34 or 36 C) but with other brands there is too much bounce. But wearing a sports bra AND a shelf tri tank is not fun.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Ok so it is a 36 C. Estimating about a 33 waste or hips. Whatver size 9-10 jeans are from various brads. 4'10" (although she animatedly claims 10.5).

My main concern is I can look at these hip and bust measurements and get a good estimation on what her size is but she's so damn short I don't want her suit to look like a kid stole their mom's tri suit.

Last edited by: Jloewe: Feb 23, 19 5:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this up hoping for help. Anyone able to comment on Zoot sizing? There's a lot of Zoot she really likes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since she is 4'10", I have a feeling that she is wearing the wrong size bra. In particular, the band size should probably be smaller. I would recommend that she try a 32D or 34D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Since she is 4'10", I have a feeling that she is wearing the wrong size bra. In particular, the band size should probably be smaller. I would recommend that she try a 32D or 34D.

Ok so what sized suit to get her?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m about 5 feet tall, so take my advice from the perspective down here. Ignore height and buy based on chest and hip measurements. If she is 36d and size 9, she is probably a medium in most of the women’s brands, which will exchange if you are wrong. If she wants one piece, and she is not the same size, fit the bottom — a too-large bottom will chafe, but it’s easy to race with the top unzipped if she needs more air. Also, lats and general body comp are more relevant than height when it comes to bra size and how well any top fits. As long as it’s not baggy she won’t look like a kid in mom’s clothes. She’ll look like a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, dude. You should let the woman buy her own clothing especially if you have no idea what size she is. If you want to buy her a gift certificate great, but don’t guess as to size, color, style, you’re just going down a path that leads to frustration.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second all the recommendations to take her shopping, not just give her the suit. She'll get to try on suits that she likes and ask for your opinion about what looks good, even if it's just a date to sit in front of the computer with her while she browses different sites for suits with your comments (and your credit card at checkout). Don't underestimate the importance of your opinion.
Quote Reply