Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What say you?
Quote | Reply
You're 11 days out (and tapering) for a 60k trail race. Today's workout calls for a 6-7 mile easy pace but you're REALLY tired and unmotivated, so you A) blow off the workout and save it for tomorrow's harder hill workout, or B) push through today's workout and hope you feel better tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: What say you? [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The person/people that are going to beat you are out training.

Why not start out and see if you feel better. If so, keep going. If not, turn around at a mile or so.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something doesn't add up. If it's 6 mi easy pace, it should be easy. It should not affect anything and this is not a workout to be afraid of.
May be you're not doing it easy?
Quote Reply
Re: What say you? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

The person/people that are going to beat you are out training.

Why not start out and see if you feel better. If so, keep going. If not, turn around at a mile or so.

I would agree with this attitude any other time except while tapering. Granted 11 days out is still kinda far away, nevertheless taper is about resting the right amount and mainting enough fitness.

OTOH, I agree in general with the approach of always STARTING, and see how it goes.

Now....about that hill workout the day after...?? Seems like the opposite of tapering to me. but, I've never contemplated a 37mile run. So, what do I know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Youre 11 days out. Take it off if youre really tired. Youre more likely to mess yourself up than you are to gain any additonal fitness from it.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: What say you? [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. I decided to skip the workout. As Chuy mentioned, there's no significant benefit from pushing it at this point. I've been putting in some big (for me) miles the last several weeks and just needed a day off . What I've learned about myself after doing this stuff for 30+ years is that I can push though if I'm a bit physically tired OR if I'm a bit unmotivated (which is very unusual for me), but when I feel both, it's best to bag the workout.
Quote Reply