Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hoff's new Cervelo P5X
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The P5x is one of those bikes that just really shines in person. It's very striking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful bike :-)

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a beauty, but I I'd prefer the Tactical. Waiting to see if that hydration system of yours get to production. If so I am pulling the trigger and upgrading.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
It is a beauty, but I I'd prefer the Tactical. Waiting to see if that hydration system of yours get to production. If so I am pulling the trigger and upgrading.

even without this possible hydration system, the tactical is a fantastic bike. this coming from a happy tactical owner.

but back on topic, the P5X is beautiful in person, the "cockpits" ease of adjustability is cool and the storage being so down low on the bike is great . im not so keen on the new green color scheme though. i much preferred the red look.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve seen a number of pros removed the above the downtube storage box and running a bottle right on the downtube rather than on top of the storage box (ala McNamee below). I’m wondering if this is faster watts-wise or if there is another reason. I can’t imagine there is a need for both storage units as you could fit your flat kit in the below the downtube storage. The only other difference would be weight (probably not a ton by removing the storage) and bottle access (seems like it would be easier to grab if it’s on the storage rather than on the downtube).

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still experimenting with a few things for race day, and it is quite possible that I will end up removing the Speedcase and just using the bottom compartment (Stealthbox) for flat kit during races. The tube shape is wide enough that it may not even be much of an aero penalty with the round bottle in that spot, but I will look at various aero bottle options, and will leave other experts with real data to confirm or deny that statement. For Kona especially, I think that having three bottles may be a good option.

http://www.benhoffmanracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [TheHoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheHoff wrote:
I am still experimenting with a few things for race day, and it is quite possible that I will end up removing the Speedcase and just using the bottom compartment (Stealthbox) for flat kit during races. The tube shape is wide enough that it may not even be much of an aero penalty with the round bottle in that spot, but I will look at various aero bottle options, and will leave other experts with real data to confirm or deny that statement. For Kona especially, I think that having three bottles may be a good option.

Ben,

i think i remember reading that ALL of the hydration storage areas were designed with absolutely zero aero penalty during design of this bike. that was one of the selling points... put your hydration where you want with zero worry of that penalty.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben,

I once had an email exchange with David Killing from Cervelo regarding the aero penalty of using a standard bottle in place of the Speedcase and he confirmed that there was no aero penalty.

On a different note - what type of arm cups are you using - I`ve been looking for something that locks the arms in a bit better than the stock units - yours look exactly what I had in mind.

Cheers,

Niall
Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Behan wrote:
Ben,

I once had an email exchange with David Killing from Cervelo regarding the aero penalty of using a standard bottle in place of the Speedcase and he confirmed that there was no aero penalty.

On a different note - what type of arm cups are you using - I`ve been looking for something that locks the arms in a bit better than the stock units - yours look exactly what I had in mind.

Cheers,

Niall
Looks like Profile Design "race" arm cup ;)

Professional French Bike Shop.
https://www.instagram.com/zebikeshop/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
even though I'm the owner of a dialed in P5-6, the more I see this bike the more I like it:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No questions/comments re the P5x (happy SC owner here), but best of wishes to TheHoff in 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Damon,

The Speedcase on the P5X was designed to be "aero neutral" so if you want to carry extra nutrition, flat kit, arm warmers etc., you can do that and add no extra drag.

Standard round bottles on the frame will always add drag. However, the P5X minimizes the drag by using a flared downtube. Our P5X testing also showed no difference in drag whether placing the bottle horizontal on top of the Speedcase, or placing it vertically directly on the downtube.

So if you run a third bottle you have the option to run the Speedcase with a bottle or just the bottle to save some weight with no difference in drag. Pros like Ben typically don't carry as much "stuff" and have the luxury of neutral support so our sponsored pros typically remove the Speedcase for racing.

Jakub

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheHoff wrote:

How are you liking that saddle? I have on that I've been trialing and haven't dialed it in yet. What area of the saddle do you find yourself settling into?
Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [TheJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheJakes wrote:
Hey Damon,

The Speedcase on the P5X was designed to be "aero neutral" so if you want to carry extra nutrition, flat kit, arm warmers etc., you can do that and add no extra drag.

Standard round bottles on the frame will always add drag. However, the P5X minimizes the drag by using a flared downtube. Our P5X testing also showed no difference in drag whether placing the bottle horizontal on top of the Speedcase, or placing it vertically directly on the downtube.

So if you run a third bottle you have the option to run the Speedcase with a bottle or just the bottle to save some weight with no difference in drag. Pros like Ben typically don't carry as much "stuff" and have the luxury of neutral support so our sponsored pros typically remove the Speedcase for racing.

thats what i was thinking. thanks for the detailed reply!

the P5X is a beautiful bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not 100% certain this will be my saddle, just trying it out at the moment. I have also tried a couple ISM saddles, and know that at the end of the day I can always go back to the Sitero Expert Gel from Spesh if needed. As far as where I sit on it, fairly forward as most saddles I ride. Good luck getting settled on yours!

Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny, because that has been my process too. I remember standing and spectating at IMAZ last year, realizing how many of them were actually on course. It seemed that the more I saw it under those athletes and began to study how it was designed and used, the more I liked it. Now having ridden it.... next level love!

Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [AnthonyParis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes indeed. Profile Design Race Armrest Kit

https://profile-design.com/collections/aerobar-pads-armrest-kits/products/race-armrest-kit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheHoff wrote:
I am not 100% certain this will be my saddle, just trying it out at the moment. I have also tried a couple ISM saddles, and know that at the end of the day I can always go back to the Sitero Expert Gel from Spesh if needed. As far as where I sit on it, fairly forward as most saddles I ride. Good luck getting settled on yours!

Thanks, Ben! Good luck with the season, can't wait to follow along and see you get back on that Kona podium!
Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree...I disiked the P5X when it was first released--I only saw it in pictures--the moment I saw it in person , I did a complete 180, and it is the first new--and only--disc tri bike I would buy if my wife wouldn't divorce me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheHoff wrote:
Yes indeed. Profile Design Race Armrest Kit

https://profile-design.com/collections/aerobar-pads-armrest-kits/products/race-armrest-kit

i have these as well as their new ergo cups in the bags at the house. i need to install them and try them out to see what i think.

Quote Reply
Re: Hoff's new Cervelo P5X [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel you. Although two things to consider: 1. This bike will probably make you faster, and that could lead to you crushing races and impressing your wife even more than you already do. 2. You will be happier on this bike, and your joy will be contagious and lift everyone's spirit in the household.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben,

Hello from Rockford! Super cool bike, but you know it's missing something. Checkered flag!
Quote Reply