Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Intermittent Fasting Window and Workout Recovery Conflict [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Now I heard something about coffee in an empty stomach that migh cause acid reflux or things related to that. Have you heard that? I have been doing coffee in the morning and felt no effects to that, but again, I'm only on the third week in.
Quote Reply
Re: Intermittent Fasting Window and Workout Recovery Conflict [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once in awhile I get some gastric distress from the black coffee, but it sorts out pretty quickly. In those rare cases, I drink some water first, and that seems to get rid of any distress. I also cut the caffeine content of the coffee more, that also seems to help..
Quote Reply
Re: Intermittent Fasting Window and Workout Recovery Conflict [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, you seem to have become the IF guru of ST! I have a question for ya. A little background though first. I had surgery for endofibrosis (iliac artery) almost 6 weeks ago. I started doing IF fasting after 3 days out of the hospital and have lost 12 pounds during this time which is pretty amazing considering I've been off the bike (just a cyclist). I have been doing a lot of walking though. My routine is to eat dinner by 7pm or so and not eat until the next day at noon. I don't usually get a full 18 hours, more like 16 or 17 of fasting.

What I've noticed in the mid morning, and usually before dinner, is when I stand up from sitting I get quite dizzy. I'm assuming this is because of low blood pressure and/or low electrolytes? I'm thinking about introducing an electrolyte supplement with water ( not sugar) in the mid morning and late afternoon. Have you experienced this at all?

I just had my follow up visit with my surgeon today and have the green light to ride again, so I'll have to figure out how to incorporate riding into this routine. So far I'm pretty amazed how east it has been and how good I feel.

I'm thinking about introducing an electrolyte supplement with water ( not sugar) in the mid morning and late afternoon. Have you experienced this at all? //

I dont get dizzy, but I do get low on electrolytes, so I take one saltstix two to three times before I eat my first meal. I know because I get crampy, and the saltstix gets rid of it almost immediately. I also like to work out fasted every day, so of course that burns through some too, as well as the diuretic effect of drinking all that coffee on an empty stomach..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thanks Monty.

And keep in mind that I'm not the expert on this, not even sure there are folks that know most of what is going on. It is the Wild West as to IF, and there are a ton of different plans out there. Thing is, dont buy anything that someone is selling, unless it is a book on what their theory is. And chances are that you can get all that info for free online anyway.

I just had this discussion with a friend who is looking at the 25 day/5day 800 calorie plan. I dont consider that fasting, unless you eat all 800 calories in a very small window every day. If you space them out like you would 3 meals, well that is just a losing weight diet, not fasting.. And they want to sell you all kinds of fasting mimicking foods, like we dont have those foods available anyway..

Honestly, it has not been that hard to just go straight to 18 hours a day, and training in that window everyday too. Next up is pushing out to 2/3 days with light training, that ought to target the deepest, darkest, shitty cells roaming around my body..(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, no I totally get you’re not an expert! Like you said, it’s a bit of the Wild West. I’m doing a very basic version where I’m not eating after dinner until lunch. I’m eating all high nutrient food, but no hard restrictions. My motivation to do this was the fear of gaining too much weight while recovering from surgery - the surprising thing is that I actually lost weight - a significant amount too!

Now that I have the green light to ride again, I’ll keep the IF going while I slowly incorporate easy riding. I don’t anticipate that it will get more complicated until my intensity and duration on the bike goes up. I’m in no hurry.

monty wrote:
I believe that is the point, and that is what I do too, train during the fasting hours to supercharge them. If you think about it, just fasting for 18 hours is going to burn about 1500 calories give or take on your BMR. If you then do a workout during that time and burn another 1000 to 2000 calories, you have virtually doubled the burn from stores, and to me it has mimicked an extra day of just passive fasting.

It may not work exactly like that, but logically this burnt calories have to come from somewhere, perhaps a difference of opinions on where...

THIS IS THE WORST SCIENCE AND FACTS I HAVE SEEN IN SOME TIME ON HERE???

YOUR BMR is running if you are fasting or not.

The only result here is placebo and LOWERING YOUR DAILY CALORIES!

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Intermittent Fasting Window and Workout Recovery Conflict [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THIS IS THE WORST SCIENCE AND FACTS I HAVE SEEN IN SOME TIME ON HERE???

YOUR BMR is running if you are fasting or not. //

STOP SHOUTING!! There was no science or facts presented here, so what the hell are you talking about? OF course your BMR is running, it runs all the time, everyday that your'e are alive. My point was, that if you train fasted, you get to burn your BMR and the workout calories, at the same time. IT would be an on top of burn by working out fasted.

And what the hell placebo are you going on about? IS it a placebo if the scale says you are lighter, your bloodwork says you have lowered all the bad numbers, and raised all the good ones? Didn't know you could trick your blood, but please do tell...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a placebo when you think it is from fasting rather then a caloric deficit.

the Results you state are found in every diet ever tested and studied when you have a caloric deficit.

Your other statement is wrong and makes no sense.

I am done these topics go no where people hold onto diets like religion until a new diet comes out.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Intermittent Fasting Window and Workout Recovery Conflict [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is surprising, to say the least, that you are calling bad science when you can barely write intelligibly.

Maybe you should check the meaning of placebo and what IF is about. It is not a diet as you seem to understand diets. IF is about when you eat, not how much or what you eat.
Quote Reply
Re: Intermittent Fasting Window and Workout Recovery Conflict [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not going to argue about the definition of what a diet is, but I think it's a valid point that weight loss resulting from IF is (almost) certainly a result of calorie reduction, like every other weight loss approach out there. Most people will reduce the amount of calories they take on if they're only allowed to eat in a 6 or 8 hour window. As a weight loss approach I've found it highly effective as it has the merits of being both simple to understand (no calorie counting, food logging, studying lists of ingredients, etc, just don't eat before and after a certain time each day) and easy to stick at.

The question is whether IF has additional benefits. E.g. Improving the body's ability to use fat as an energy source. Improving blood values and other measures (by a greater degree than just losing weight would already achieve). I honestly don't know, but my take is that I'm happy with it anyway as an effective way to achieve and maintain better body composition, and any other benefits on top are a bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I don't fully understand is why most doing IF while having early morning workouts don't chose their eating window during the workout period? It would seem logical to me that you would chose a 5am-1pm eating window if you typically do all your workouts for the day early morning. "Train like you race" suggests you need to be fueling during your workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Its a placebo when you think it is from fasting rather then a caloric deficit.

the Results you state are found in every diet ever tested and studied when you have a caloric deficit.

Your other statement is wrong and makes no sense.

I am done these topics go no where people hold onto diets like religion until a new diet comes out.

If you really want a thing with a name like Intermittent Fasting rather than just "eating less" or "skipping meals", look up Early Time Restricted Feeding (ETRF), which means you eat early but don't eat late. It has two more words than Intermittent Fasting and has research papers and everything. You can eat before your workouts and still be doing a cool thing with a name as your strategy to eat less.
Quote Reply

Prev Next