Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacing cassette - question to the ST crowd
Quote | Reply
Hi ST Crowd

Just after some basic advice. I'm about the replace a 25-11 (10spd) cassette with a 28-11 (10spd) instead.
Question - would I or do I need to do any re-indexing of the gears/rear derailleur when replacing the cassette.

Thats all - Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing cassette - question to the ST crowd [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a very small chance you could need to replace the chain... But, since you are only adding 3 teeth, probably not. Your chain would have to be pretty tight at 25 to not be able to support a 28.

Otherwise, just put it on and go. It's usually a good idea to run through the gears to make sure you don't need to make a slight adjustment to either H/L limit screws or derailleur barrel adjuster. Most likely it just works, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing cassette - question to the ST crowd [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cassette ratios are generally referred to with the smallest cog first (i.e.- 11-25 or 11-28).
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing cassette - question to the ST crowd [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Tom_h

Good call on the chain - never thought about that.
Will require some experimenting on the weekend.

Just trying to be more self reliant these days rather than going to the LBS for all aspects of bike maintenance.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing cassette - question to the ST crowd [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duly noted jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to what Tom said, you'll likely need to adjust your B screw. Screwing it "in" rotates the derailleur allowing you to set the clearance of the upper jockey wheel and the largest cog on the cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing cassette - question to the ST crowd [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
In addition to what Tom said, you'll likely need to adjust your B screw. Screwing it "in" rotates the derailleur allowing you to set the clearance of the upper jockey wheel and the largest cog on the cassette.

This will probably be the only thing you will have to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sambadhillon wrote:
Hi ST Crowd

Just after some basic advice. I'm about the replace a 25-11 (10spd) cassette with a 28-11 (10spd) instead.
Question - would I or do I need to do any re-indexing of the gears/rear derailleur when replacing the cassette.

Thats all - Thanks in advance

Likely 1 extra link on the chain and a few mm extra space between the cassette and pulley wheel. Once it is set for a 28 then it can easily be swapped back to 25 with zero issues. This is for absolutely optimal shifting, in reality you will probably be fine. On occasion going from sram to shimano will have different spacing and the limits might need slight adjustment.
Quote Reply