Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aqua sphere alternative
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to make my Aqua spheres last longer or a cheaper alternative? I’ve tried a number of other goggles and nothing else seems to work. Haven’t tried TYR yet. But standard goggles never work for me. And I’m sick of paying twice as much for aquasphere. With that said... I’m on my way to the cry like a little biatch thread right now.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua sphere alternative [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the same goggles from TYR for 12 years now. Whenever one wears out, I just get another. They're not expensive, like $15 maybe?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of aquasphere's are you using? Are they for OW? Or strictly pool swimming? I've used Speedo goggles (speedsockets) forever. Recently, I picked up a pair of MP (made by Aquasphere) for $20 at SwimWest in Encinitas. So far, IMO, they are superior to the speedos. They NEVER fog and have stood up to 100km of swimming (but that's only 2-1/2 months).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the Aqua Sphere are inside-eye fit and I agree, they seem to work pretty well. I will say that, I rarely find inside-eye goggles comfortable however, if you have not tried the Speedo Vanquisher 2 goggle then you should, because it is surprisingly comfortable with a decently wide view, an suitably hydro (or aero). Not expensive either, and they last plenty long enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua sphere alternative [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
What type of aquasphere's are you using? Are they for OW? Or strictly pool swimming? I've used Speedo goggles (speedsockets) forever. Recently, I picked up a pair of MP (made by Aquasphere) for $20 at SwimWest in Encinitas. So far, IMO, they are superior to the speedos. They NEVER fog and have stood up to 100km of swimming (but that's only 2-1/2 months).

OW. I like the outside fit. I broke my nose in my younger days and have trouble with anything that has a hard bridged. The AQ’s just seem to mash on it without pain.

Quote Reply
Re: Aqua sphere alternative [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I've been using the same goggles from TYR for 12 years now. Whenever one wears out, I just get another. They're not expensive, like $15 maybe?

The AQ’s are the same. But I seem to need to replace them after a couple months.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Is there a way to make my Aqua spheres last longer or a cheaper alternative? I’ve tried a number of other goggles and nothing else seems to work. Haven’t tried TYR yet. But standard goggles never work for me. And I’m sick of paying twice as much for aquasphere. With that said... I’m on my way to the cry like a little biatch thread right now.

Hmm....I wore a pair of Aquasphere Eagles for 2 1/2 years before I switched to something more cool. What fails on yours?
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua sphere alternative [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

Hmm....I wore a pair of Aquasphere Eagles for 2 1/2 years before I switched to something more cool. What fails on yours?

Leak city. For the first month and a half no issue at all. But then a few drops, and another month and I’m doing half my laps like a pirate with one eye shut. But if I throw on a new pair it’s pretty much perfect again. Using Keyennes by the way. Wondering if another model might give the same comfort and more longevity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. The silicon seals go in 12-36 months on those suckers. A.S. Makos fit me well. I use saved searches on eBay and when they hit $12 or whatever I snag a new pair. It's kind of gaming the system, lol.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My aqua sphere Eagle goggles are like 4.5 years old with over 1M yards on them. They are still going strong. You must be doing it wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua sphere alternative [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
My aqua sphere Eagle goggles are like 4.5 years old with over 1M yards on them. They are still going strong. You must be doing it wrong.

Do you use prescription lenses? That’s the second time in this feed someone said the eagle lasted a long time. There’s really not much to do wrong putting on a pair of goggles with a pull strap.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Do you use prescription lenses? That’s the second time in this feed someone said the eagle lasted a long time.
Yes, that is why I wear the Eagles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

I was happy with my Aquasphere until today. They started to leak, after only 2 months. I went back to my Vanquisher 2.0.... :-/

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Do you use prescription lenses? That’s the second time in this feed someone said the eagle lasted a long time.

Maybe the lenses has something to do with it. Of course doesn’t help me much since I no longer need prescription lenses. At this point I’m ready to just consider buying multiple pairs of goggles a “swim fee” and hope I can get as much time out of them as I can.

Do you do anything to help make your goggles last longer? 4.5 years is a long time for anything.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Do you do anything to help make your goggles last longer? 4.5 years is a long time for anything.
Nothing. In fact, I probably treat them poorly. They started yellowing a little which is making me think I should get another pair as backups. It would royally suck to have them break at a race. I would never find my bike with normal lenses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

That is also why I wore eagles. I have since gone to contacts (so that can wear the cool goggles and LOOK like a fish).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eagles come with non corrective lenses. So, anyone can wear them out of the box.

Mine also started to yellow. I bought a second pair and kept the yellow as backup. I never did anything except treat them with antifog and rinse them in the shower after swimming.

The only thing that killed one lense was slamming it in the car door... Not really the goggles fault. But it only cracked the lense, not the silicone seals. So, a $10ish replacement fixes it.
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua sphere alternative [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you press down goggles, they will suck the water in. Spray anti-fog solution, dry it and gently place goggles and you should be good to go. Aqua Sphere goggles are hands down best for me. I’ve been using a pair for one year and just ordered a new pair this morning from Amazon for $19.99. I always use clear ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Aqua Sphere for over 17 years and just tried a pair of Xterra and love them - give them a try
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not alone. Aqua Sphere are the only goggles I can find that fit well and don't leak (at least not for the 1st 10 times I wear them). I'd switch if if could find an alternative.
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua sphere alternative [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:
You are not alone. Aqua Sphere are the only goggles I can find that fit well and don't leak (at least not for the 1st 10 times I wear them). I'd switch if if could find an alternative.

It sucks because they are a little more expensive than standard race goggles, where no matter how big the nose piece always digs into my nose. I have deep sockets and a huge nose bridge that’s a little crooked. Yeah I’m funny looking... I got some ideas, after I hear people saying the Eagles last forever and another said the seals fail. I might try a thin layer of glue/gel along the seal to see if that helps. Maybe it could delay the replacement process just a little.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

So, full disclosure, I worked for Aqua Sphere for 8 years and I still know the line really well. Here are some questions and recommendations. There are a lot of great open water goggles out there. The Kayenne is certainly one of the best.

- Do you keep the goggles in the case they come in? I highly recommend this as it helps to retain the shape and keep them from getting scratched.
- Do you store them in a place that gets really hot? If so, try to find an alternative. The gasket material isn't silicone by materially very similar. It is still susceptible to becoming deformed if they are left in prolonged heat. Best recommendation is store in the case in a dry/ cool climate. I know this isn't always possible. The more you can, the better off the goggles will be.
- Do you rinse them with fresh water after every use? Rinse them in the shower. This helps to remove a lot of the chlorine or other chemicals that will break down the material on the goggle and the lens over time.

- It is recommended to never touch the inside of the lenses. If you read the little booklet that comes in the case it does say this on one of the first pages. This includes defog wipes. The reasoning is that this will scratch the antifog coating that is on the lens from the factory. Antifog drops can be applied without rubbing them in. The best application is long enough before you swim that the antifog can dry. This will provide the best results. I have never really been a fan of antifog and I don't ever use it, but this is the recommended way with Aqua Sphere goggles.

- Don't over tighten the straps. That flattens the gasket down and makes it difficult to get a seal.
- Try not to push the sockets of the goggles onto your eyes. Light tension on the strap works well to provide a good seal.
- Don't get the goggles wet before you get in the water. Put them on before you get in. Providing a dry surface and not introducing water to the inside of the goggle can reduce fogging.
- if the goggles leak a little bit, try readjusting. Sure this sounds counter-intuitive, but it can be a solution.
- The goggles do not have a defined lifespan, but the better you care for them, generally the longer they will last.

The Kayenne and Kaiman are very similar, with slight variances in fit. The Kaiman generally fits more people. All Aqua Sphere goggles are designed to fit around the eye socket. They are bigger goggles designed for open water swimming, but they perform really well in the pool as well.

MP Michael Phelps goggles are smaller more competitive style goggles. I found great success with both Aqua Sphere and MP goggles, but unfortunately no goggle fits everyone perfectly.

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I'm happy to chat more if you do have any questions. I no longer work for Aqua Sphere though so I can't help from that perspective.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be a good candidate for Magic5 goggles, which are custom made to your face. Pricey, but they might be more comfortable and hopefully last longer.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Aqua sphere alternative [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You might be a good candidate for Magic5 goggles, which are custom made to your face. Pricey, but they might be more comfortable and hopefully last longer.

Wow looking into it might be a good idea if this next pair fails me. Sure it’s initial sticker shock but depending on how long they last might be a great tri investment. Especially since I’m not alone in my AS troubles.

Quote Reply