Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2:1 Triplet Lacing Question
Quote | Reply
I am looking to build a light racing wheel for my wife. I was looking at a American Classic High Low road hub. It uses a 2:1 lacing system. Will this work with a carbon rim sourced from China? Or does it have to be a special rim, with center drilled holes to work?
Quote Reply
Re: 2:1 Triplet Lacing Question [tomk407] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I laced up my Nextie Chinese rim 2:1 style to BHS hubs after I kept breaking non-drive side spokes laced up 2x on both sides. It's been perfect since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will need centre drilled spoke holes, or specific asymmetrically drilled holes for triplet lacing.
Quote Reply
Re: 2:1 Triplet Lacing Question [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's my thoughts as well.

I laced up a wheel like that a month ago just because I had to replace a hub (bought a 32, laced it as a 24) and like the higher spoke tension on the non drive side with the lower spoke count. The final tension as easier to do.

With that said I still wouldn't seek out a hub/rim with that configuration to build and save the weight of 8 spokes on a rear wheel. I would go standard 2 cross/half radial 24 or 28.
Last edited by: jaretj: Feb 24, 19 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think most are center drilled which will work. The 86mm Chinese rim, and Reynolds Aero 80 I have appear to be center drilled. Some suppliers will custom drill the rim, but you definitely don't want normal offset drilling.

2:1 is no great thing, BTW.
Quote Reply
Re: 2:1 Triplet Lacing Question [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Why?

The raised NDS spoke tensions are worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
Quote:

Why?

The raised NDS spoke tensions are worth it.

This came up the other day and the main issue I can think of is what happens when you break a NDS spoke. The spokes want to catch on the frame which has the potential to cause significant knock on damage. I have experienced this issue but in my case it wasn't catastrophic and I'm not convinced it was that much worse than breaking a spoke on another low spoke count pattern. You certainly have to be really careful about damaging the rim and frame trying to ride home once a spoke goes, but again this isn't restricted to 2:1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
Why? The raised NDS spoke tensions are worth it.

I thought so too until I built a few that way. I won't go into all the structural aspects, but the spokes support the rim through pre-tension. If you only have 7 spokes on one side there is a long span between support points. Besides the rim getting a bit of a wave in it from this, if you break a spoke, the rim will warp badly (hit the chainstay and maybe get jammed).

2:1 isn't bad if the rim is stiff and the hub offsets are designed for it. But I wouldn't favor it if you are using a light rim.

If you want really light (and 2:1 lacing) I ran across these the other day. $1340, 940g. No idea if they are any good: https://carbonbikewheels.com.au/...bon-tubular-wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you explain what the difference is in the spoke holes for 2:1 lacing? Do I have to worry about if the spoke holes are angled? Would I need the holes center drilled and with no angle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s correct - centre-drilled with no angle. If the spoke holes are angled, you will be out of sync with the way the spoke holes are angled if the rim is designed for 1:1 lacing.
Quote Reply