Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts
Quote | Reply
Crazy final 2 weeks in the Premier League. With Man City falling twice consecutively at home and on the road they are now 7 points behind Liverpool. They both face off next week and if Man City as much as draws with Liverpool I would say the title is Liverpool's to lose. If Liverpool wins that might be enough to bury Man City barring a huge drop on the back end of the season by Liverpool.

Tottenham are looking better and better each week right now holding second place. But until they consistently get results in the from the top 6 I think they position they hold can be variable by the end of the season. They are in a great position to top Arsenal though.

Man United finally sacked their manager and looks like Pogba is having success, despite playing the bottom of the table consecutively. I don't see them reaching the top 4 still, they will need to get those results against Chelsea, Tottenham, Man City and Liverpool.

Relegation battle is starting to shape up. I think Fulham is coming into form and might escape. Burnley's fall has been unfortunate. With Huddersfield and Cardiff I think they will be relegated. On a side note; Leeds United and Norwich are looking strong for promotion.

Should be interesting to see how the middle of the table shapes up. West Ham is really coming into form. Wolves have been great this year so far in their first year back in the league, but lack the goals to get more results. They have really left a fair bit of points on the table.

My predictions:
1. Liverpool
2. Man City
3. Tottenham
4. Chelsea
5. Arsenal
6. Man U

Relegated
Huddersfield
Cardiff
Burnley

Promoted
Leeds
Norwich
Winner of West Brom vs Aston Villa (Strong second half season) in playoffs.
Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree that Liverpool's title to lose, playing so well as a team this season and even though Salah isn't on the same goal scoring pace as last season, he still has the ability to take over and control a match. Also agree that Arsenal holds onto the fifth spot and gets the Europa League slot.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the vast majority of your takes, but think Spurs are for real and will end up 2nd and give Liverpool a fight. The only caveat in that plan is what happens when Son is gone for awhile. We also have to see what shakes out with the transfer window. I can't explain Man City's collapse these last few games. Losing to Leicester is one thing, but Crystal Palace - seriously??? WTF was that? I seriously thought they would battle Liverpool to the end, but I think they're toast now as far as winning the title.

My prediction for relegation is Huddersfield, Cardiff, and Fulham (Dyche saves Burnley).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tottenham are looking better and better each week right now holding second place. But until they consistently get results in the from the top 6 I think they position they hold can be variable by the end of the season. They are in a great position to top Arsenal though.

I don't agree with the second part of this take. They went 3-0-3 against the top 6 with one of those losses coming in a week where they beat Chelsea, beat Inter to keep CL hopes alive and then had to go to the Emirates where they were, unsurprisingly, flat. They came back two weeks later and whipped Arsenal in the cup game.

If Spurs can finally get in to their stadium in February, I think they would have an immense push down the stretch after already being a better second half team with Poch. I think it would be rather unlikely for them to win the title, but Liverpool have coughed up leads before.
Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
I agree with the vast majority of your takes, but think Spurs are for real and will end up 2nd and give Liverpool a fight. The only caveat in that plan is what happens when Son is gone for awhile. We also have to see what shakes out with the transfer window. I can't explain Man City's collapse these last few games. Losing to Leicester is one thing, but Crystal Palace - seriously??? WTF was that? I seriously thought they would battle Liverpool to the end, but I think they're toast now as far as winning the title.

My prediction for relegation is Huddersfield, Cardiff, and Fulham (Dyche saves Burnley).

CP has been Man City's bogey team, they are well organized and can counterattack effectively. So it's actually not that surprising, and it's more surprising City losing to Leicester.

I don't think Spur will hold onto 2nd. Time will tell if they have the squad to compete in all the comeptitions and when crunch time comes in March. I think they will be lucky to finish in the top 4.

Liverpool needs to be careful this weekend playing Arsenal, I can see a draw to be good for both, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Gunners prevail.

One of the team I can't figure out is Chelsea, but I don't much care about them anyway. Looks like the Russian oligarch has lost interest, so it may be time to sell to some middle-east state, Bahrain?
Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
but Liverpool have coughed up leads before.
Every team in the lead at Christmas in the last 15 years have ended up winning the Premier League. Except Liverpool 5 years ago. And Liverpool 10 years ago. Younger son is a rabid Liverpool fan, elder son for Spurs. Should be interesting. Watford fan myself, they'll do their usual and punch above their weight and finish mid-table. Pretty impressive considering how small a club they are.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:

My understanding is that Son will only miss three league games against Fulham, Watford, and Newcastle. He’s missing the first two games of the Asian Cup and will be available for the Man United game on the 13th. The concern more for me is that he’s never getting any rest. International football should be limited to a brief period of the off season.
Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And then they lose...at home (kinda) against the Wolves. Spurs need to get into their new home ASAP.

Unfortunate for the Spurs to leave 3 on the table at this point in the year. Good for the Wolves, they deserved that win and continue to play very well agains the top-6.

Liverpool wins today against Arsenal and next week against Man City and have at least 7-10 points against Spurs and Man City. It's definitely their title to lose, but lots of football to be played.

On that note, what a season so far for the Wolves. They are my team, but sitting 7th at this point in the season with wins vs Chelsea and Spurs, and many draws against the top....can't expect much more.

Watch out for the Wolves in the coming years, this is one of the better promotion years for quite some time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a spanking Liverpool gave to the Arsenal... the defending was shambolic. Was hoping to see a more competitive game.

I predicted that the Spurs will not finish in the top 4, but given how the Arsenal is playing defensively, they just might end up 4th.
Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
It was a spanking Liverpool gave to the Arsenal... the defending was shambolic. Was hoping to see a more competitive game.

I predicted that the Spurs will not finish in the top 4, but given how the Arsenal is playing defensively, they just might end up 4th.

Didn't you know that sarcasm is supposed to be highlighted in Pink?

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOLVES TO EURO!!!! You read it here first.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it wasn't the chosen one after all. How did Manu lose to at home to a weak PSG team that was even weaker with out Cavani and Neymar? Pogba out of the return leg. There must be a lot of London people pissed off that "their team" lost.

Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
WOLVES TO EURO!!!! You read it here first.

Agreed. It's been fun to follow them this season and they have done very well against the top-6. Following the rise of Man City. Time will tell where they will be in 3-5 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not epl but what a carabao cup final.

Interesting to see the consequences of Kepa refusing to be subbed.

Either Sarri is fired or Kepa is benched. Just don’t know which one will happen. Or Sarri quits.

I’m a Chelsea supporter who doesn't think much of Sarri but a player cannot refuse to come off. Don’t understand why Sarri didn’t make the sub before penalties.
Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
Not epl but what a carabao cup final.

Interesting to see the consequences of Kepa refusing to be subbed.

Either Sarri is fired or Kepa is benched. Just don’t know which one will happen. Or Sarri quits.

I’m a Chelsea supporter who doesn't think much of Sarri but a player cannot refuse to come off. Don’t understand why Sarri didn’t make the sub before penalties.

None of this matter, the only thing matters is what the Politburo upstairs is thinking. RA seems to be bored with this toy these days. The lady in charge is not exactly a "football-man". Two transfer window ban, and with the Sarri state of affair, Chelskis are in disarray. I see them finishing outside of top 4.
Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spurs Spured up big time this week. If they weren't spursing it up against Chelsea yesterday I could of sworn they were masquerading as Real Madrid.

Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and they are.

10 matches left, now down a point to Man City. They do not play against each other this year.

Man City on the EFL cup, they are now leading the EPL, still alive for the FA Cup, and looking like they will advance into the quarterfinals of the Champions League. Champions league will be most challenging, but they could very well earn 3 trophies this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great match yesterday between Liverpool-Spurs, literally went down to the wire with Salah getting a fluky goal in the 90th minute. Put them back up on top in the standings but it'll make for an interesting run to the finish between them and Man City.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Great match yesterday between Liverpool-Spurs, literally went down to the wire with Salah getting a fluky goal in the 90th minute. Put them back up on top in the standings but it'll make for an interesting run to the finish between them and Man City.

Lost my ever loving mind when that goal went in. Definitely continues to put the pressure onto Man City with their game in hand (which gets played on the 24th).

Liverpool has not been the same team they were in the first half of the season on offense. And the ties with Everton, ManU and Leicester didn't help at all. Don't know what I will do if they finally win. 29 years has been a long wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spursy! That's what they always do.
Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [crowny2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I thought Liverpools championship hopes were slipping away before our eyes until that muffed goal by Salah.

Hoping Liverpool can win the league this year, but yeah they have not been the same on the back end of this year. That draw with Man City, or every other time they have left points on the table might have been the turning point.

Both are still alive in Champions League as well and Man City is the in the FA cup too. Might be best for Liverpool to put all their efforts into the premiership title rather than aiming to get back to the champions league final.

Form and managing player fatigue is crucial these last few weeks. Should be a great end to the season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
Agreed. I thought Liverpools championship hopes were slipping away before our eyes until that muffed goal by Salah.

Hoping Liverpool can win the league this year, but yeah they have not been the same on the back end of this year. That draw with Man City, or every other time they have left points on the table might have been the turning point.

Both are still alive in Champions League as well and Man City is the in the FA cup too. Might be best for Liverpool to put all their efforts into the premiership title rather than aiming to get back to the champions league final.

Form and managing player fatigue is crucial these last few weeks. Should be a great end to the season.

Couldn't agree more about putting everything in the PL bucket. I would like for them to win Champions League, but I would love for them to win the PL.

Interesting how their defense let them down in the "Year of the Slip" when they essentially were outscoring everyone with a swiss cheese defense. Now their defense is damn good but their offense is just not the same as it was in the first half of the season. I bleed Red and have had the fortune to attend a game at Mecca (Anfield) and I have a very old cousin there who is likely not going to make it to next year so a win would be a FANTASTIC boost for him.

Dear god please let them win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

I think Klopp kind of alluded to this at some point.
Great match yesterday. Man City has 2 payers for every position and with Aguero in great scoring form it makes it very interesting. I think potentially Man City has 5 more games to play.
Liverpool all the way!
Quote Reply
Re: English Premier League - Midseason Thoughts [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like my predictions were not too far off.

Crazy to see Liverpool get 97 points and still not win the title. Man City just turned it on the second half of the season. While Liverpool did drop points in the second half to lose a 7 point lead, its crazy to see them score the 3rd highest point total in league history and still not win.

Wolves look very strong this year and going into next year might be able to break into the top 6. They did well against the top 6 but losing twice to Huddersfield and dropping key points against other low tier clubs left them below Man United.

Waiting to see who the third club getting promoted will be, but next year looks like another strong season of EPL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was even crazier was how Man City and Liverpool kept leapfrogging each other atop the standings as the season went on. Made for a fun season to watch with one last order of business for Liverpool coming up in a few weeks.

Quote Reply

Prev Next