Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ball of the foot on 'fire' running
Quote | Reply
Now I am off to see a physio, but not for 10 days.

Why when I run, do the balls of my feet hurt, in a 'hot' way. The start hot, and then feel like the are getting hotter and then if I keep going it feels like they are burning, with a few knives for added effect.

- it's definitely the ball of my foot, not my arch. Very occasionally it spreads to my toes (but the bottom/tips, not between them which is another problem altogether apparently.)
- it is worse when I run long, hard, or most definitely hard and long.
- I've never had anything like this before over 7-8years of training.

(I just use normal run shoes, ONs, not zero drop or barefoot ones or anything like that.)

Help please if anyone knows what this is and how to fix it.
Quote Reply
Re: ball of the foot on 'fire' running [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have inflammation. It probably won’t get better if you run on it. Do you own a bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
google mortons neuroma
Quote Reply
Re: ball of the foot on 'fire' running [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, thanks. That sounds suspiciously like it might be the problem. Especially as my toes go numb a lot.
I hope not though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the Morton's Neuroma. Been there. Look into using a shoe that does not compress your forefoot, as that can cause inflammation of the nerves. I found a new, better shoe and my issues went away, but it did take a while. Wider forefoot can be your friend.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: ball of the foot on 'fire' running [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks as well.

I think my foot my swell a lot when I run which will make things worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
Thanks as well.

Certainly, you are welcome. I ran through mine for a while and it really tested my pain threshold until I figured the shoe angle. I think it is very typical to have feet swell when running. Compressing the nerves that run through the mid foot is fortunately reversible and preventable. Good luck!

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Thanks as well.

Certainly, you are welcome. I ran through mine for a while and it really tested my pain threshold until I figured the shoe angle. I think it is very typical to have feet swell when running. Compressing the nerves that run through the mid foot is fortunately reversible and preventable. Good luck!

Having read around it this is almost certainly correct. As sometimes it feels like my sock has bunched under my foot and when I check it is totally flat.

I'm actually wondering if the socks could cause it, I've run in the same shoes for about 5 years (model, not pair :-) )with no problems, but bought several pairs of cheapish socks last year which feel quite tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Thanks as well.

Having read around it this is almost certainly correct. As sometimes it feels like my sock has bunched under my foot and when I check it is totally flat.

I'm actually wondering if the socks could cause it, I've run in the same shoes for about 5 years (model, not pair :-) )with no problems, but bought several pairs of cheapish socks last year which feel quite tight.

I suppose that may be possible, but unlikely as seldom are socks that restrictive. I have a narrow foot, and often raced without socks, so I figured the shoe forefoot was the problem. Once I switched it became obvious that was the cause. I had never even considered a wider shoe, as my foot is narrow and I always hated the feel of too wide shoes. The one I found has only the forefoot wider so the metatarsals have room to spread and the nerves are not entrapped, eliminating the inflammation. It sure is nice to not feel that molten glass shard digging into my forefoot any more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Agreed on the Morton's Neuroma. Been there. Look into using a shoe that does not compress your forefoot, as that can cause inflammation of the nerves. I found a new, better shoe and my issues went away, but it did take a while. Wider forefoot can be your friend.

X2. If you bike, then the next place the pain may follow is there. Wider forefoot bike shoes will help the nerve pain subside. Look into orthotics, to help offload weight from the forefoot onto the arch.

Good luck and I hope you eventually find pain relief.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be Morton's Neuroma or some sort of metatarsalgia. I was just diagnosed with a neuroma (most commonly between 3rd/4th metatarsals) and have similar symptoms to you.

I would ask for an ultrasound at the Dr. because the only options for a neuroma are cortisone shots (which don't heal, just minimize symptoms for a few weeks to months) and surgery. If you catch it early you may be able to stop it in its tracks by modifying footwear and resting/crosstraining for a while, but otherwise it's unlikely to ever go away. Hopefully you just have some sort of acute bursitis or generalized metatarsalgia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You likely have Morton's Neuroma. I sometimes get it. Go to a podiatrist. It's fixable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thanks everyone for the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Thanks as well.

yep yep yep. Had/ have this too. As Gary said, right shoes help. I found it happening in races with a lot of climbing...the constant hard pressure of the pedal stroke going up hill would initiate it, then getting to the run I'd feel that 'sock bunched up' sensation.

I moved to the 2018 LG road shoe and tri shoe as they have a pretty wide forefoot. Also, softer shoes like a Hoka Clifton would also contribute to the feeling in the ren. I found shoes with a more solid forefoot help, like a Vaporfly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As everyone else mentioned, neuroma. Could have a collapsed or pinched met arch, as well. Had the same, went to PT and got ultrasound. Tough to say if that outperformed a placebo. I get from time to time again, self treat with my Wahl impact massager which knocks it right out. Highly recommend one of these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with everyone else. I had a bad case about 15 years ago. Podiatrist put a neuroma pad inside my shoe to lift and spread my metatarsals and I switched to a wider shoe with looser lacing in the forefoot.

It took several weeks to resolve, but I've never had a recurrence.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 21, 19 19:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have similar issues with the balls of my feet and I found an insole with more arch helped me. On all my shoes riding and running I have an assortment of various insoles that give me more arch and it certainly helps with any issues that shoes cause me. I did have a custom insole made up for my running shoes but best found using On insoles that have more arch and placing metatarsal domes under them in places that feel the best.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Feb 21, 19 19:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had ball of foot issues, numb toes, and sock bunched up feeling even though it wasn't. Root cause was inflexible ankle due to stiff calves. I was striking with the ball of foot first without realizing it. I started stretching and it all but completely resolved my issues. Went from unable to run to running in just a week of proper stretching as prescribed by a PT. From there it took a few months to get back to normal mileage. I still feel it reminding me it's there every now and again but it is not a problem. No more sock bunched up or numb toes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
Thanks as well.

have you got new shoes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:

Oh man, I've been there. I used to think that I had a penny lodged directly under the ball of my foot. Sometimes I even took off the shoe to check.

Haven't had the problem nearly as much in Hoka Clifton 4.
Quote Reply
Re: ball of the foot on 'fire' running [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happened to me before and it was from the friction. I was wearing Altra that day and my feet was moving slight to the front and back as I land. Constant rubbing cause burning HOT feeling!! My running form was not good back then either. I switched to Newtons, I started landing mid foot and problem went away. See if you land correctly.
Quote Reply