Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Thanks for the feedback

You say they feel soft at slower pace and firmer at higher paces. Because of heel softer ? Or foam reacting to impact (a bit like the DNA of Brook Ghost / Ravenna) ?

Regarding marketing : in France, Manon Genet is sponsored by Hoka, and by i-run (selling Hoka shoes) : the Carbon Rocket + does not appear anywhere.
Not in Hoka web site
Not in resellers sites
Not mentionned by athletes

Maybe you get some early deliveries, and the marketing wave still to come (a bit like for the Cervelo P5 disk ;-)

No, I heard probably why there is no marketing. Numbers of ordered pairs by shops were extremely low and perhaps also their stock. But that didn't hold Nike off to make a big hoompa on their 4% shoes at the time of release. But, hey, that is the power of the Nike brand ;-) Still think Hoka misses an opportunity and it also looks a bit if they dont believe in the shoes themselves if you don't launch it with some global marketing around it

Jeroen

Even if the Nike 'carbon plate research' was more hype than hard objective science, they do have at least SOME legit data about the plate construction and beneficial results on actual running.

I would be very surprised if Hoka had ANY data about either. This isn't to say Hoka's fradulent - nearly no major shoe features that we recognize are backed by true, objective peer-reviewed science other than Nike's carbon plate. All that motion control, prontation control, cushioned, heel-drop/etc. - are driven by consumer preference and are marketing based. For sure, they aren't doing scientific peer-reviewed research to drive the innovations or new designs of their shoes (duh).

Nike's 4% carbon plate shoe was the first I've seen to make an actual running shoe scientific claim (and I'd use scientific in a very limited sense here!) backed up with peer-reviewable data. Hoka would be setting themselves up for a huge embarrasment if they don't have this sort of data yet marketed their shoes aggressively without it against Nike. It could end up really bad, like the Fivefinger smackdown when they started claiming their shoes could reduce injury.

Agree, but we need to stop comparing to Nike;s marketing of their shoe. The Hoka is a different shoe, they should have made a statement / promotion or whatever marketing you want on explaining what's going on with their shoe and what's going on with this shoe without making bold claims on how much % you are faster with them. The scientific 'evidence' is so extremely hard to proof because of the many other factors there are that have influence on speed.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been told shoes that don't allow the foot to flex too much is good for healing plantar fasciitis. So would these shoes with their carbon plate be a good candidate for that?
Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most Hokas don't flex much (apart the new Rehi). Reason for the rocker.

This one is even stiffer.
Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should I size up in this shoe? Original Nike Vaporfly 4, Saucony Kinvara, A2 all perfect fit size 13. New Nike Vaporfly 4 snug at size 13 could most definitely use 1/2 size up if made. Should I go with 13 or 14 in Hoka Carbon Rocket?
Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [brett13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brett13 wrote:
Should I size up in this shoe? Original Nike Vaporfly 4, Saucony Kinvara, A2 all perfect fit size 13. New Nike Vaporfly 4 snug at size 13 could most definitely use 1/2 size up if made. Should I go with 13 or 14 in Hoka Carbon Rocket?

I use 7,5 in the nike’s vaporfly and the same in the rockets. But the rockets have these side attachments to prevent the tongue sliding. These were a bit tight for me so i cut them out which made them a little roomier for me. If you need width i would size up, if it is just length you are good to go with the same size.

Regards,

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck finding the fucking things. Every time I can actually order the shoes I want, Hoka is sold out of the majority of sizes leaving all but the fucking tiniest of feet. Sorry for ranting but I swear to god I have encountered this with them MULTIPLE times.

If anyone knows where I can get a size 12 please let me know. My local retailer couldn't even get their hands on them.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jeroen! Running Warehouse shows 4+ size 12 in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And Code RTR19 gives 10% discount at running warehouse us or Europe.
Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered from Hoka's website. I got a size 9, same as my current pair of Mach but these things are narrow AF so I will send them back and order a 9.5. Not sure I like the narrow aspect of it but hopefully sizing up a little will help. They seem super stiff though... not like any classic / regular Hokas, more like the Mach and Tracer but on steroids.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I’ve just come across these and I’m really intrigued. Would you say these are an every-day trainer, or just race prep/race day? Also how is the stability? Would you run in these in a 70.3 with 5 miles of beach running on the route??
Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ran in them around 10 times right now. I wouldn't use these as a daily trainer.. I only use them for intervals/high tempo/racing. They're quite stiff in the sole, especially in the beginning. For me they provide good stability although I always run with my orthoics in there. I really like them for the faster stuff but running slow in them feels odd. I've ran up to 10 miles in them and I'd use them in my upcoming 70.3 I think. Bit of calf strain still due to the lower drop than I'm used to (haven't ran lower than 6mm drop).
Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a new version will be released soon. You can see some of the Hoka athletes training in them getting ready for the trials.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brett13 wrote:
Should I size up in this shoe?

I had to size up from 10 to 10.5 in both the Next4% and the Hoka Carbon X. In the Hoka it was mainly for the small increase in width. In the Nike it was for length.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
. I got a size 9, same as my current pair of Mach but these things are narrow AF

The Mach 3's are narrow, very narrow, too narrow if you ask me. I don't get what Hoka is/was trying to accomplish with that shoe. The rep says it's been flying off the shelves though. IDK, I'm not seeing that. People are choosing the Clifton 6 over the Mach 3 by 3-1it seems.

The Carbon X seems a bit wider than the Mach3's just from wearing them around the store. I didn't put calipers on them to really check but my wider than normal feet say no to the Machs and can live with the Carbon X in size 10.5 instead of the usual size 10

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont understand the purpose of the Mach 3 personally, unless its more of a transition into the more aggressive shoes. I have been hoping for an update to the Tracer 2 but then i see this. . . I use the rockets for races and the cliftons for high mileage, but I felt the tracer was a solid shoe for speed and some cushion.

Quote Reply
Re: First look: Hoka Carbon Rocket [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Mach is supposed to be the replacement for the Clayton. Clayton was a much better shoe, lighter with good cushion.
Quote Reply

Prev Next