Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My $5 alternative to the fussy crack pipe
Quote | Reply
$5, if you already own a road-side pump with hose. ;-)

You need:
-hose from your road-side pump
-the presta/schrader adapter you likely have from a tire/tube/fitting kit
-an old presta tube
-the $5 "Slime" brand schrader hose/chuck

Put the presta/schrader adapter into the Slime chuck. It's a schrader. Tear up the old tube to get the presta valve out. Screw that into the other end of the adapter (valve opened). Screw the schrader Slime chuck hose into the schrader end of your road-side pump hose. Screw the road-side hose onto the presta valve on whatever hard to reach area you need. This hose is usually flexible enough to get into a disc/trispoke. Then insert the open presta valve into the normal chuck on your floor/track pump.

Pump up the tire. Open the chuck on the Slime chuck. Now you can rotate off your road-side pump hose.

Done.

No fussy leaky crack pipes or adapters. No needing 4 hands or an assistant to pump up a disc/trispoke. Works on a Renn 555/575 and an HED 3c.

Quote Reply
Re: My $5 alternative to the fussy crack pipe [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good man

you had me confused for a while until i realized the thin metal bit was the valve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I followed this better b/c you're right, the angled pipe can be pretty frustrating.

I use my big toe to hold it on while I pump (bare foot so toe fits into disk cover), which is part of my pre-race gift to society. (Read - not a morning person, of magnitude great enough I know it's best I keep to myself).

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: My $5 alternative to the fussy crack pipe [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I wish I followed this better b/c you're right, the angled pipe can be pretty frustrating.

I use my big toe to hold it on while I pump (bare foot so toe fits into disk cover), which is part of my pre-race gift to society. (Read - not a morning person, of magnitude great enough I know it's best I keep to myself).

Similar here at first.

I have been sitting on the Renn and HED 3c for a couple months and not ridden them on a training ride because I didn't want the latex tubular to lose pressure after inflation at home in the AM and then riding after work or at lunch time. Yeah, doesn't lose a lot, but still.

I admit this isn't super elegant, but it works.

If you wanted to spend $12 instead for a more elegant solution, Lezyne sells a replacement presta/schrader hose that you could just cut the hose and install an in-line barb on the end you cut off.

There's probably a variety of ways to accomplish this, but the screw on hose is what makes it a no-hands affair.

I was NOT going to blow over $40 up to even $65 for a fancy chuck to do this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how rude of you. There are people in here that are struggling with crack addiction and your insensitive usage of the term 'crack pipe' could spark the beginnings of a relapse.

shameful.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: My $5 alternative to the fussy crack pipe [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha, I went out of my way to avoid using the term.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply