Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was you week? Feb. 18 edition
Quote | Reply
Am I allowed to start this?

How are you? How was your week?

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How was you week? Feb. 18 edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a fantastic week last week, when I stopped trying to keep up with Tridot and just did what I wanted. I got in one 1.5 hr. bike ride, and a 13 mile hike with 2000 ft. elevation gain. Swam three times, all of them a bit shorter than usual, somewhat intentionally. I also lifted three times.

This week is a special week! I have my first actual tri race--a reverse tri that isn't even a sprint because the swim is just 8 laps. I'm excited, and also a little nervous. I'm working on running, but I'm still having problems with patella tracking, so I might just walk the majority of the 5k. Does anyone know if anyone else walks the 5k in sprint tris, or would I potentially be the only one?

Workout plan:

M: lifting, running drills, longer bike ride or maybe on the elliptical at the gym to care for my knees
T: swim
W: lifting, running drills, bike
Th: light activity, maybe swimming or biking as it feels good
F: rest
S: tri!
Sunday: Probably another hike as I'm in SoCal at the moment, escaping cold, grey, snowy upstate NY.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
US Women's, if you had a long weekend I hope you enjoyed it.

Hey GiantNewb, Dr. TC usually starts the thread but since it's a US holiday she's hopefully enjoying a day off from school.
Glad you're keeping at it -- there will likely be people of all paces and abilities so just do what's best for you and good luck. (And amusingly, we've traded places as I'm in snowy upstate NY 👋)

My goals were "5 bikes, 2 swims, 4 runs, maybe a ski day and definitely a very solid rest day." Between the snow and the travel I ended up with
1 bikes, 1 swim (gulp!), 4 runs, a super fun ski day and very good rest day.

I also bought a new (to me) road bike this week and it should arrive next week. Woop!

I'm traveling for work (again!) this week but hoping for 4 bikes, 4 swims, 4 runs. Cross your fingers!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday Ladies. I hope everyone had a good week and hopefully a long weekend too for the US contingent.

Last week's goal was to start the build again. I crushed it. 150 miles, done. 15 hours, done. I'm starting to feel a bit fatigued but it's nothing I can't handle right now.

What I can't handle right now is the fact that one of my dear friends is on his deathbed. He was diagnosed with stage IV kidney cancer a year ago and this is the end. He's in a medically-induced coma right now and in complete kidney failure. Life is not fucking fair and while no one deserves this, he is one of the most amazing people I've ever known and it hurts that much more. So if you can spare a thought and some love for my friend Scott, please do <3

This week's goals: Survive. It's gonna be a long week.

M- rest (nailed it)
Tu- 3000yd swim, 7mi run, strength. Also volunteering at the NMNH in the afternoon
W- 2.5 hour Zwift session and 30min brick run
Th- Team track session, 3400yd swim, strength. Also, hair appointment in the evening
F- 50min Zwift, then jumping on a plane and heading to Boston for the weekend
Sa- 18mi run
Su- 2 hours of spin class in the North End

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was you week? Feb. 18 edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesus, Cupcake, I'm so sorry to hear about Scott. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers this week. I'll offer you something that someone once told me in a similar situation. It's not intended to encourage you to feel better, because I think that folks often work too hard to avoid feeling shitty, but this situation just sucks. Fuck silver linings.

But, someone once mentioned to me that it's an incredibly intimate experience, being with someone as they are dying. There's no relationship quite like that. It has helped me to remember those words.

SoCal, word to upstate! I do love it there, it's just a bit hard around this time of year. Hope you had fun skiing!!!! If by chance you went to Greek Peek, you were pretty close to my place.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. It’s absolute shit. And I do agree with you about the death experience. I held my mothers hand eight years ago when she lost her battle to cancer. Toughest day of my life but I’m so grateful to have been there.

The rough part about this week is that I’m traveling this weekend to the opposite end of the country from everything going on. It’s not clear what and when plans are for him, and it’s tough knowing I can’t be there in person. But our circle is scattered quite literally all over the world right now and many of us will be unable to travel for arrangements, and we’re going to do something to honor him in a way that we can be together.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_C: Ugh, so sorry to hear about Scott. I hope he's not suffering and that you and your friends are able to get together to remember him when the time comes.

SoCal: hurray for lovely ski days!

My stated goals were: 3 x swim, 3 x bike, 3 x run and a XC ski if the weather cooperated. It appears I forgot to mention my strength x 2, but I did do it and I also did everything else mostly as planned. I cut my final run short but the XC ski was my longest/farthest and toughest to date so a good substitute (pictures attached!). However, I do seem to have developed some extensor tendinitis in my left arm (not sure how) so boo to that.

This week: 3 x swim, 3 x bike, 4 x run, 2 x strength.
Last edited by: Scheherazade: Feb 18, 19 19:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This week is a special week! I have my first actual tri race--a reverse tri that isn't even a sprint because the swim is just 8 laps. I'm excited, and also a little nervous. I'm working on running, but I'm still having problems with patella tracking, so I might just walk the majority of the 5k. Does anyone know if anyone else walks the 5k in sprint tris, or would I potentially be the only one?

Oooh, a reverse tri sounds fun! I suspect there will be other people doing at least some walking. Have a good race! Your hike sounds like a blast, btw.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goals went out the window on account of feeling anxious/depressed last week, so just needed to do what my body and mind felt like doing. Still had a fine week workout wise.

M: 3.3 mi run + 875 yd swim
T: 5.7 mi run + 3 mi walk
W: 8.2 mi run + 725 yd swim
T: 7 mi run + 1125 yd swim
F: off
S: 10.1 mi run + 775 yd swim
S: 18 mi bike + 5.1 mi run

totals 3500 yd swim, 18 mi bike, 39.4 mi run

I'm cranky this morning and not in a mood to think about goals for the week :P

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Feb 20, 19 7:01
Re: How was you week? Feb. 18 edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats on your PR for the 10k series!

sounds like the right decision for your daughter to repeat a year. I'm sorry she's feeling anxious :-( and while I'm not a parent, I can't imagine it's easy watching your kid be anxious like that. Hugs to you.

Quote Reply
Re: How was you week? Feb. 18 edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey GiantNewb, Dr. TC usually starts the thread but since it's a US holiday she's hopefully enjoying a day off from school.

anyone can start it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Cupcake, I'm sorry about your friend.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck on your first tri, GiantNewb! I see plenty of people walking 5Ks, so don’t worry. Hopefully you are enjoying SoCal.
Jealous of the new ride, SoCal!
So sorry to hear about your friend, Dr_Cupcake. Sending internet love.
Scheherazade, beautiful pics, but it looks cold. Haha
Dr. T, that still sounds like a good week despite feeling anxious and depressed. Take care of yourself.
Congrats on the trophy, Anna! Hopefully your daughter is able to get her studies sorted out.

Last week was OK. I had Monday off work so got some extra training in, but skipped working out Tuesday and Friday. On Friday my dogs went to the vet and we confirmed that our pibble needs MORE dental work. She has already had two root canals and an extraction, officially more dental work than I have had done. She is fine otherwise but that was a downer to kick off the weekend, knowing that she is getting old. I did get a nice, long run done on Saturday but I probably overdid it as my knee is still feeling tender. Sigh... I thought I was doing well re-building my mileage slowly but apparently it's wasn't slowly enough. I haven't done any training yet this week (I needed a day off Monday and something came up yesterday) but am planning on two trainer rides and hopefully two runs for the rest of the week. I really need to get back into a regular PT and lifting schedule.

I am looking forward to vacation in Argentina in 10 days! I am already freaking out about the long flights but I HAVE to get away from this cold weather. We are staying with friends who are down there for a few months, and they assure me they see people running outside all the time (and I have checked Strava heat maps for popular routes) so I am definitely bringing my running shoes. I was very excited when I heard Buenos Aires had a spring marathon, until I realized that South America's spring is in September... d'oh!!! I really want to get some good workouts in this week and next to preemptively offset all the steak and wine I'm going to consume, haha.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was you week? Feb. 18 edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MM - A trip to Argentina sounds amazing! I have never been to South America so you will have to report back in great detail. Hope your knee feels better soon too.

Anna - great work on the running. I'm sorry your daughter is feeling stressed out by it all. When I was 15 I knew exactly what I wanted to do as well. 20 years later I've done that, been burnt out by it and now I'm doing something completely different that wasn't even in my contemplation. I think the coping skills she can learn now will stand her in good stead for adulthood in general. At the same time, family support is so important because my parents never once (to me at least) gave any indication that me completely changing professions was anything that they didn't 100% back me in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake, I'm so sorry for what you are going through right now. You are in my thoughts.

Dr. TC, didn't mean to imply otherwise!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply