Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel Racers: Trek Checkpoint is no more?
Quote | Reply
In case you haven't been following it, Trek's 2019/2020 Checkpoint was advertised as having clearance for 45mm tires. Then . . . quietly . . . the Trek website reduced the spec to 38mm . . . to 35mm . . . back to 38mm . . . then to 40mm IF you use a Bontrager spec tire. All of this without any notice to existing owners. (Without measuring, it appears that the front derailleur may interfere with wide tires when the axle is adjusted toward the forward end of its travel.) The only indication of any problem came for those who happened to check the spec page on the website. But now there's been another change at Trekbikes.com!

I checked to see if there had been yet another tire clearance change for the Checkpoint on the Trekbikes.com website. And I found that . . . THE CHECKPOINT HAS BEEN TAKEN OFF THE SITE. When you do a search for gravel bikes, you get Crocket and Boone. No Checkpoints! When using the regular BIKES tab and GRAVEL or CHECKPOINT, nothing comes up for the Checkpoint. The CHECKPOINT tab is dead.

Trek Customer service says there will be no recall because the stock 35mm tire is perfectly safe on the bike. But for those of us who bought the bike based on their promise of 45mm tire clearance? So far . . . it's tough luck. "Buyer beware" is a tough way to respond to customers you deceived. This is not cool. Has anyone received any relief from your bike shop or from Trek?
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Feb 19, 19 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Racers: Trek Checkpoint is no more? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have literature where the frame is spec'd 45 mm wide tires? If so, and your frame does not fit 45 or even 40, you have a valid point. The one issue is that most of these companies have fine print saying specs can change without notice and they are not liable. Do you currently own a checkpoint. If so, have you tried the wider tires on yours?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, I remember the Checkpoint advertising 45mm tire clearance at one point simply because it was on my shortlist for a gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still see the checkpoint on their website. For max tire size, it says 40c bontrager tires with 4mm clearance to frame. Like you, I remember that they used to advertise larger. My guess it that people were buying 43s or 45s, mounting them on wide rims, and then complaining that their true 48mm tire (that says 45mm) is rubbing the chainstays or seatstays.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/gravel-bikes/checkpoint/checkpoint-sl/checkpoint-sl-5/p/24387/?colorCode=red
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And I found that . . . THE CHECKPOINT HAS BEEN TAKEN OFF THE SITE.

It's still there for me - 9 different models show up.

https://www.trekbikes.com/...gravel-bikes/c/B546/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a checkpoint with gravelking 43's on it with the axle setting at the front position. Fits with plenty of room and could probably go wider if I slid the axle back. Fwiw I love the bike.

The reality of what bikes can clear isn't always the stated amount. I'd also be shocked if that model was dropped after one year given gravel is the hot new thing. You sound a bit sensational.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Racers: Trek Checkpoint is no more? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
And I found that . . . THE CHECKPOINT HAS BEEN TAKEN OFF THE SITE.

It's still there for me - 9 different models show up.https://www.trekbikes.com/...gravel-bikes/c/B546/[/quote[/url]]

It was taken down earlier. They put it back up sometime after 5:30 p.m. CST. And it's back with the 40mm Bontrager (if it has 4mm of clearance) spec.

I own a Checkpoint. I would never have bought it without the 45mm + mud room spec that they promised. (I race in muddy races and tire clearance is vital in the mud.) And "eyeballing" the frame, there appears to be plenty of clearance, BUT . . . now, looking at the bike, I don't think the interference point is with the frame. It's the front derailleur. With the axle adjusted for racing (short wheelbase), there's no way a 45mm tire would clear my Di2 front derailleur. That derailleur is a good 10+mm closer to the tire than the seat tube is.

I'm guessing the 45mm + mud room claim was based on measuring an unbuilt frame. They weren't thinking about how far back the front derailleur would hang.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Racers: Trek Checkpoint is no more? [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
I have a checkpoint with gravelking 43's on it with the axle setting at the front position. Fits with plenty of room and could probably go wider if I slid the axle back. Fwiw I love the bike.

What front derailleur do you have? Gravelking SK 43's won't clear my Di2 front derailleur on this bike -- and they aren't wide tires for 43's (no real knobbies). And it would be worse if/when the Isospeed seat post flexes. Everywhere else, it's fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your problem is that you are too high end!

I have the 105 front derailleur and no isospeed. I also have the stock wheels so can't comment on how a different wheel may impact things.

The stranglehold does move back quite about though, I know it may change the ride a bit, but might be worth seeing if that helps give clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Racers: Trek Checkpoint is no more? [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you race muddy gravel races (DK most years, LandRun every year), Di2 gives you flawless shifting no matter what. One year at DK, nobody I talked to who ran cable shifters had full use of their derailleurs by the end -- but I did. For that reason, I think Di2 is worth it. But beyond that . . .

I just measured the clearance as best I can. From the center line of the wheel to the side of the front derailleur measures 20mm. In other words, even a 40mm tire won't fit unless you extend the wheelbase by about an inch -- something I can do, but really don't want to do. Actually, given Trek's claims, that's something I was sure I wouldn't have to do. It's a big reason I chose this bike over others! (And that's why I'm not a happy customer. Did they really expect all their customers to ride this bike without a front derailleur?)
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Feb 19, 19 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To run 43 gravel Kings on an etap Exploro, we had to dish our wheels off center a couple mm. You might be able to do the same in the checkpoint. It depends how much room you have between the non drive side stays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i run a checkpoint alr 4 with 45mm WTB Riddlers. with the stock deore derailleur i had to move the stranglehold dropout backwards to have enough clearance. i upgraded the FD to the 105 which has a different design (the shifting is still ok with an 11sp FD on 10sp shifters) and now i can run the stranglehold all the way forward with the 45s. i don't really notice a difference with the stranglehold position and handling, but i was always able to run those 45s
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Feb 20, 19 6:24
Quote Reply