Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running shoes for weight training
Quote | Reply
Is there any reason that you shouldn't use your standard running shoes for weight training? For example, does the added weight break down the cushioning faster? I don't think it's an issue, but my dad asked me this the other day and I told him I had no idea, but I didn't think it was an issue. He was mostly wondering if he should have a separate set of shoes for the weight room and running.
Last edited by: jhammond: Feb 19, 19 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes for weight training [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fahgeddaboutit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using retired running shoes in the gym for over 35 years. No I don't, and would not, use a current active pair. Their life is limited enough, no reason to smash them out quicker in the gym.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes for weight training [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you wear Hokas and do Crossfit, you would understand. You can hurt your ankle, knee or hip easily.
Reebok dominates Crossfit and weight lifting market and I've heard nothing but good thing about them. You should try them for yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two sets of lifting shoes: Nike MetCons and Nike Romaleos.

I wouldn't use an active pair of running shoes. You shouldn't squat or deadlift in your running shoes either. You'd be better off barefoot.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By weight training, I'm assuming you are including squats, dead lifts, possible use of machines that require stable foot positioning etc. In this case, be careful using running shoes. Google weight lifting shoes and you will see shoes with a stable platform and a small wedge increasing from midfoot to heel. Very good for stability during lifting. If you a just working out on machines (not say a hack squat or an incline squat, where you require foot stability) then running shoes will be fine. I remember when combat boots were the rage for power lifters and heavy lifting, not so much anymore due to instability issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not unless you are strength training like 5 to 6 days a week for an hour or more at a time.
I do track the workout as a treadmill run to log any mileage. I ditch my shoes for running at 300 miles. Some of my strength routines combine run intervals, so it's relevant to track the mileage as well.

If you're a crossfit junkie, I can see having dedicated shoes.

If you are an endurance athlete with 2 to 3 strength sessions a week, I don't see much of an issue.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply