Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

flo carbon 60’s vs HED Jet 6
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience on both of these? Pros & cons? I know flo is prices a lot better, a lot better but wanted to see if anyone had opinions either way.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: flo carbon 60’s vs HED Jet 6 [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have HED Jet 6 Plus which I believe is at or cheaper than Flo. What I like about the Jet 6 Plus is aluminum brake track so I don't need to switch brake pads between training racing. Or worry about heat if I'm doing rides with steep descents needing longer brake time. Not sure of aero difference between Jet 6 and Jet 6 Plus. With aluminum brake track can easily switch race wheels to training wheels w/o changing pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a huge personal preferences decision over the intangibles...

I had a set of FLO 60/90 CC and went to a set of HED Jet Black 9/Disc wheels. I cannot praise both highly enough. Although I do not have a direct 60-to-6 comparison, there these are the major intangibles to think about...
  • FLO Customer Service - HED is good, but with FLO, the inventors are taking care of you
  • FLO Carbon Clincher - I love the look and style of full carbon clincher wheels
  • FLO Decal Colors - Lots of color options enhances your style
  • HED Braking - FLOs brake well for carbon, but HEDs brake great (especially Black, which are other-worldly)
  • HED Width - Both are wide on the outside, but HEDs are wider on the inside
  • HED Weight - HEDs are lighter for the same-sized wheels

As far as speed goes, maybe HED is faster. Or, maybe not. I bet on HED for speed based on a lot of opinions on this website. But, I mainly chose the HEDs because of the promised braking.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Feb 20, 19 11:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Jet 6+ and my wife has the Flo Carbon 60 / 90 (front / rear). I've ridden her bike and the only substantive difference is the Jet 6+ has more braking bite due to the aluminum track. The Flo Carbons brake okay but you just have to squeeze harder.

Our area is flat and we don't brake much during races, so the braking difference is more of a feel thing and doesn't make a practical difference for our situation, as far as I can tell. If we lived in a hilly area with steep descents, I would want the Jets. The Flos do look nicer though since they're all black.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built up a set of the Flo CC.

I was always hesitant with the Hed Jet as the Carbon isn’t structural and it always seemed a little flimsy to me. I have my race wheels hanging up when not in use and don’t think I could do that with the Hed.

I also worried about them getting cracked in transition by some idiot just slinging their bike on the rack and banging into everyone else’s bike (too many idiots at the local races that the probability was high).

So that was my rationale for the Flo over the Hed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BabaBooey wrote:
Anyone have experience on both of these? Pros & cons? I know flo is prices a lot better, a lot better but wanted to see if anyone had opinions either way.

Thanks!

Are you look at the HED JET+ Black in comparison to price. Nobody pays full price for a pair of HED JET 6 and is an easy scoop up at $1,100 which is better than the retail price of the carbon 60s. Also I assume you mean the Jet+ and not the regular, but I wrote up an article on why I thought the JET+ was the best value wheel out there. In short it is light, durable, wide, aero, handles great, comfy, and brakes really well. It also comes from a great pedigree. If you want an insane braking wheel the Hed JET+ Black is even better and is black for those people who love the look of carbon. Anyway, I wrote up on each of the benefits in more depth here

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: flo carbon 60’s vs HED Jet 6 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
BabaBooey wrote:

Thanks!

Are you look at the HED JET+ Black in comparison to price. Nobody pays full price for a pair of HED JET 6 and is an easy scoop up at $1,100 which is better than the retail price of the carbon 60s. Also I assume you mean the Jet+ and not the regular, but I wrote up an article on why I thought the JET+ was the best value wheel out there. In short it is light, durable, wide, aero, handles great, comfy, and brakes really well. It also comes from a great pedigree. If you want an insane braking wheel the Hed JET+ Black is even better and is black for those people who love the look of carbon. Anyway, I wrote up on each of the benefits in more depth here

No, I was looking at the black, I know it has better braking than the others given the machine grooved braking track.

I clicked on your link but it wouldn’t load. Do you have one I can use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Thomas said.

I have Flo all carbon 60s built on Powertap hubs and Hed Jet 6+ disc wheels. I love both wheels. The Heds are about 100 grams heavier. I paid more for the Flo rims than the Hed wheels. I do have to be a bit more careful with the Heds because the fairings are delicate.

Edited to fix my typos. Sheesh.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Feb 19, 19 19:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are the ones I’m comparing to the Flo 60

https://mybikeshop.com/...hed-jet-6-black.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BabaBooey wrote:
These are the ones I’m comparing to the Flo 60

https://mybikeshop.com/...hed-jet-6-black.html

Yep, those are the Blacks. The brake track is etched on those and it provides superior braking power even to their regular aluminum. That is kind of their premium wheelset and it isn't a fair comparison. It is a nice set of wheels and I have Black in addition to the regular aluminum. The regular aluminum are going to brake better than carbon, and especially in the wet. The regular Jet 6+ (non-black version) can be had for $1100 but it has been as cheap as $700 for the wheelset.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Black wheels also go on sale occasionally throughout the year. I got my 9/disc set for a lot less than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not get the Jet 5 Black version for ~$1200 at MBS. Essentially as fast, still great braking and $800 cheaper. This is what I currently ride.
Quote Reply
Re: flo carbon 60’s vs HED Jet 6 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Why not get the Jet 5 Black version for ~$1200 at MBS. Essentially as fast, still great braking and $800 cheaper. This is what I currently ride.

$1399 - that’s what I’m actually looking at now since I saw it. Deciding between these and the Flo 60
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They’ve had sales regularly for even cheaper
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned above sometimes you can find HED on sales.
Got last year Jet 9 black front+ jet black disc $1600 total from MyBikeShop. Also, got Jet 9 black new rear wheel few days ago from Ebay $550. The breaking of the black wheels are amazing, sometimes i feel like it is very close to the disc brake.

1. HED jet 6 plus SW turbo 22mm vs FLO 9 SW turbo 22mm:
Looks like HED a bit faster, i'm not sure about hed 6 vs flo 6, probably the same.

[Source: TomA]

2.Also, I can be wrong, but looks like Wheel H - HED, Wheel F - FLO:

Last edited by: Ksavostin: Feb 19, 19 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

Yeah it’s $1399 but still cheaper, a bit more than the FLO. Less concerned about weight but braking is important since I live in a hilly area and most races I do have some climbing. Some of a lot.

Are you enjoying those wheels? Any basis of comparison to others? MBS has always been good to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had Flo aluminum rim and HED. Marginal differences. The black brake track is a bit more money but gives you comfort that you basically have the best non disc braking you can get. My life/health matter that much to me so I was willing to pay a little extra for that sense of peace. But, really you can’t go wrong with either (assuming Flo aluminum brake track). I refuse to ride carbon rims. Frankly, it’s shocking to me how many people do ride them with no speed gains, far worse braking, and far more expense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I’ve had Flo aluminum rim and HED. Marginal differences. The black brake track is a bit more money but gives you comfort that you basically have the best non disc braking you can get. My life/health matter that much to me so I was willing to pay a little extra for that sense of peace. But, really you can’t go wrong with either (assuming Flo aluminum brake track). I refuse to ride carbon rims. Frankly, it’s shocking to me how many people do ride them with no speed gains, far worse braking, and far more expense.

Actually looking at the carbon rims which supposedly do brake well but yeah, marginal gains don’t mean anything compared to Safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t risk my health for “supposedly”, brakes don’t matter until they do. “Okay” brakes are not okay. And no one believes that any carbon braking surface is as good as alloy, let alone the HED black version.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 20, 19 3:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I wouldn’t risk my health for “supposedly”, brakes don’t matter until they do. “Okay” brakes are not okay. And no one believes that any carbon braking surface is as good as alloy, let alone the HED black version.

So are the jet+ ones that stop like normal aluminum rims and the blacks just a step up/better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Re: flo carbon 60’s vs HED Jet 6 [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Looks like HED a bit faster, i'm not sure about hed 6 vs flo 6, probably the same.

I believe this first graph was Flo's "2012" first-generation wheels. Just FYI.
Quote Reply
Re: flo carbon 60’s vs HED Jet 6 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:

I believe this first graph was Flo's "2012" first-generation wheels. Just FYI.

Yes, those were our 2012 model wheels.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply