Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New really cool Silca VIAGGIO travel pump!
Quote | Reply
https://silca.cc/products/viaggio-travel-pump

I've been contemplating a travel pump that's easier to take to work and group rides. Thoughts?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Feb 19, 19 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: New Really cool Silca travel pump! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just use the bluetooth tattico mini pump as a travel pump (in addition to flat pump during rides as well as transition pump). Sure it takes more time to pump up a tire with it, but really not an issue when you're putting a bike together. Can split it up into many small sessions of pumping while you assemble your bike.
Last edited by: Sean H: Feb 19, 19 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: New really cool Silca VIAGGIO travel pump! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great, I like the BT feature but I wonder is a connected phone required to read pressure? Does it also have a traditional gauge?

The fact it comes with a Hiro chuck is a huge benefit - those things are amazing.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oaeo6t_SdNk

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Feb 19, 19 8:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That pump is SWEEEEEET. Now I just have to justify the price!

I currently travel with a full size Lezyne pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it, looks like it was designed by some smart folks.

But, that said, in biking (and, heck, maybe in life too), I want as few things with batteries as possible. I wish there was a simpler mechanical version without the wireless features.

But, overall, it does look great.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: New really cool Silca VIAGGIO travel pump! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I like it, looks like it was designed by some smart folks.

But, that said, in biking (and, heck, maybe in life too), I want as few things with batteries as possible. I wish there was a simpler mechanical version without the wireless features.

But, overall, it does look great.

The battery thing was my one knock against it too. I assume it's a cheap coin cell battery available at any Walmart for a couple bucks though...
Quote Reply
Re: New really cool Silca VIAGGIO travel pump! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We spend a lot of time evaluating secondary analog gauges for the application and they just aren't worth it. Even a 1.5" diameter traditional gauge would more than double the footprint of the pump while having poor readability and being suspect to error due to shock or impact during travel, and the inline gauges that we see a number of companies using are quite literally less accurate than the finger test as they are super sensitive to temperature and quite affected stiction and at moderate pressures are commonly off by more than 20%, which to me makes them much more of a liability than a feature in my opinion, especially considering that 5psi over pressure can cost you a couple of ceramic bearing upgrades worth of watts, and in harsh conditions being 5psi under pressure can cost you a new rim or tire.

As it is this pump can certainly be used as just an awesome pump without gauge if you want, but it uses 2x 2032 coin cell batteries which get you about 100 hours of actual pumping time and cost less than $1 to replace, while getting you 0.5psi accuracy below 100psi drifting to 2% accuracy at 200 psi due to some custom curve fitting we do in the software. It's pressure activated and uses a non-paired BT protocol, so it sends a signal when it senses pressure and reads in a few seconds on your phone as long as the app is running.

My favorite feature of the one I've been using for the last year is actually the waxed canvas tool roll.. it holds an entire HX-Two kit, pedal wrench, chain whip, lockring tool, etc and + a t-ratchet kit. It all rolls up to be the size of a poster tube or about the size of an umbrella and has been the savior of many group rides over the last year!! All at a size small enough that when we go to Costco and buy too much stuff my wife doesn't even notice that it's back there taking up space as we load the car.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: New really cool Silca VIAGGIO travel pump! [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I follow you, with the high accuracy, that is what makes this pump especially useful.

But with the internal digital psi sensor (even if using batteries), does the pump have its own display, in other words, can that number be read directly off the pump without a smartphone?

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But $275???

I struggle to fathom how that cost is justified. Perhaps it’s like buying a Ferrari when a Hyundai will get you where you need to go just the same.
Quote Reply
Re: New really cool Silca VIAGGIO travel pump! [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
But $275???

I struggle to fathom how that cost is justified. Perhaps it’s like buying a Ferrari when a Hyundai will get you where you need to go just the same.

It all depends on how you look at it. From a technology and manufacturing perspective this thing is roughly the same cost to produce and actually shares a handful of electronic components to a modern power-meter and has a higher cost to produce than a number of power meters out there, so compared to it's nearest cousin, it's quite a bargain. The problem is that we've all been conditioned to assume that tools, pumps and accessories should be ever cheaper and more disposable while items in other categories become ever more expensive yet still disposable.

We're out to break that paradigm (hate the word, but it fits here). There are 500 companies selling cheap crappy, frustrating pumps on Amazon that will more or less get the job done, the world absolutely does not need another company doing that. Your Ferrari example is not fitting, we are more the Porsche of the category, Porsche is continually the highest quality, most efficient, highest satisfaction rated of all the car brands... that's what we aspire to be. We also have a bit of a cult like following, people collect them, etc..

We're out to do something much better and different and unfortunately, both of those have costs associated, but for the discerning user, the justification here could be as simple as eliminating a chronic frustration for a user for the next 10+ years, or it could be as simple as helping an athlete achieve the perfect tire pressure which will save them 2-3x as many watts as that $500 oversize pulley setup, or achieve that fastest possible gravel setup that minimizes the likelihood of damaging a $800 carbon rim.. Or it could be as simple as my favorite piece of feedback from one of our test riders who said 'breaking this thing out at our local group ride was like bringing a puppy to a sorority house.. I'm like famous now..'

So yes, in the same way that an new P5X does what a department store bike does.. this pump does what all the others do. But for those who demand or desire something better..or find themselves frustrated, or who are looking to eek out a few more watts of efficiency than everybody else or who are willing to put in some time to gain the asymmetric advantage of tire pressure optimization, it's worth it.

Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i recently worked out how much money i have spent as a cyclist on cheap pumps that have broken. it is a lot of money. if i could go back any buy one good floor and one good mini, the price at which i'd break even is really really high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Josh. This question is aimed more towards the tattico, but it probably applies to all your Bluetooth pumps. When pumping, is it possible to see the readout on a garmin or wahoo, or does it only display through the iOS and android apps?

When racing, I don’t usually carry a phone. It would be cool to see the pressure readout on my computer screen when pumping with the tattico. I know that you can have the tyre wiz modules connect to a garmin, so figured it should any least be possible to do it with a BT pump.
Quote Reply
Re: New really cool Silca VIAGGIO travel pump! [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting; I don’t think I have ever spent more than $40 and still have every pump I ever bought over the last 15 years. I don’t even have an issue with Silca’s pricing. They make great, high-end products. But, I just don’t need a luxury air pump. And the one Silca product I did buy—the disc adapter—I could never get to work (I’m willing to admit it could be user error but getting air into a tire shouldn’t be that difficult now should it require multiple people).
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 20, 19 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: New really cool Silca VIAGGIO travel pump! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
the one Silca product I did buy—the disc adapter—I could never get to work (I’m willing to admit it could be user error but getting air into a tire shouldn’t be that difficult now should it require multiple people).

Does your ‘shoot off’ the valve? Sometimes mine works, but the majority of the time I can’t get it to stay on the valve and it pops off around 50 psi. So I need to ask the wife to hold it on while I pump. It has been a bit disappointing. I wish it would just work every time. Not sure if it’s due to they type of valves on my tubes or perhaps user error. But I’ve trued a number of techniques and still can’t get it to stay on consistently

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New really cool Silca VIAGGIO travel pump! [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From our experience, and we sell thousands of these disc adapters a year, if it doesn't stay on the valve to 120psi, it generally isn't pushed on far enough, or there is significant gasket wear. Our more common complaint is that at high pressures the adapters can be hard to remove from valves, even at very high pressures. There are a million valve makers out there so we can't test for every possible valve geometry, but we make and ship this product everyday and test every unit with each unit hitting 120psi on a dummy valve after assembly. I think I've discussed with DFWTri before, but we also offer the industry's best customer service, so if you aren't happy or it doesn't work, please email or call and we make it right.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I may not have have been pushing it down far enough out of concern that I might damage something inside it. I’ll give it a try when I get home and see if that helps.

Matt
Quote Reply